Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

aTello (Android) Development Thread

I put up a new version 0.94 for testing at the link below. Because I made some significant changes in the code I'd like a few people to test before I put it up for general release.

In this version I rewrote how the app handles pauses (when you go into the task manager or settings for example). Hopefully it wont disconnect like it was frequently doing before.

NOTE: This might mean that there are bugs that were not there before. Worse case you may loose contact with the drone after coming back from another screen. In that case close and reopen the app and you should reconnect at once.

aTello test versions

Can you please report back if this version works ok for you? I need a few reports before I can move on to other things.

Test it today, works fine for me (one flight indoor), works fine with usb xbox 360 controller (plug n play), recording seems working well too, can't compare video to the original since Tello original app recording doesn't work on Samsung S4 (so big thank you for that I can record)

Reactions: Krag
Until now you did a great job on creating and experimenting the atello app. Thanks a lot and please go on. I‘m looking forward to see/test next new features :)

Just have to say. I just tried your app for the first time. Did a short little test flight. You've enabled me to use a controller for the first time. (Wired Logitech) and I use a Samsung s8 which wouldn't give me a video feed in the native app without being in airplane mode. Which aTello has no problem with. Great job on this app and I look forward to seeing where it goes from here! VR? Lol

Reactions: Krag
Tried it on my tablet that couldnt run tello app as android was too old.
Works fine, recorded video is more smooth than whats displayed in realtime, but thats not an issue.
However, I do have the same issue as with the tello app that after taking a picture the video isnt stabilized anymore, see also here: Does the Tello lose image stabilization after taking photos

I have also reported this issue in this forum: Tello 1.03.33.01 firmware - improved range

Hopefully there's a fix possible.
Thanks
Hans

Using it with Pixel 2, OTG->Gamesir G4s and mi 2 wifi extender.

Holding the "HS" on toggles "fast mode".

Really makes the Tello more fun and useful.

Much thanks.

If the stock app is doing it too then it is probably a firmware problem.
Agree, yet a workaround might be possible here more elegantly (switching to fast and back to slow in an easier way) .. also still wondering how many of you guys noticed this issue as its pretty apparent

Agree, yet a workaround might be possible here more elegantly (switching to fast and back to slow in an easier way) .. also still wondering how many of you guys noticed this issue as its pretty apparent
Have you contacted Ryze cust support about it?
Hopefully theyre already working on a fix.

A new version (0.96) is up. This version should fix the problems when switching between pic and camera modes. It also includes a simple Return To Home function.

aTello download page

Return To Home:

There is a new Return to Home button in the UI and on the Joystick (Home button on PS3 and A button on Generic). Only works in environments with plenty of light. Use with caution.
  • Single tap will cancel autopilot.
  • Double tap will set home.
  • Long press will return to home.
  • Home or A button on the joystick works the same way (single, double and long).
  • It uses voice prompts to tell you the state of the autopilot. Turn up your volume.
  • An initial home point should be set as soon as the drone can see the ground well enough to pick up a fix.
  • The home point is only 2d so you need to take care of the height.
  • Moving the right stick will cancel autopilot.
  • It isn't always accurate and sometimes has trouble with swirling around the target. Especially in wind.
  • You can still turn and change height with the left stick while on autopilot. NOTE. changing directions while on autopilot can throw the autopilots flight off a little bit. Be careful.

Last edited:
A new version (0.96) is up. This version should fix the problems when switching between pic and camera modes. It also includes a simple Return To Home function.

aTello download page

Return To Home:

There is a new Return to Home button in the UI and on the Joystick (Home button on PS3 and A button on Generic). Only works in environments with plenty of light. Use with caution.

Ooooooh #Wibble.

Looking forward to trying at lunchtime :)

Thanks.

Hi,
Can you explain me which advantages I will find using this app instead of the official one?
Suggested settings for best video quality with less frame drop?
Thank You

You will love it. It works like a charm :)
Wow.

On two accounts. Firstly, the RTH works brilliantly, if a little slow, but I understand why

Secondly, I'm an idiot.
I'd missed the 'long press' to take off instruction all this time and was wondering why it wouldn't work.

Edit. Just viewed the cached video. Only 2 dropped frames (I could see) with mobile data ON. Very Impessive, leaps ahead of the official app.

Last edited:
Wow.

On two accounts. Firstly, the RTH works brilliantly, if a little slow, but I understand why

Secondly, I'm an idiot.
I'd missed the 'long press' to take off instruction all this time and was wondering why it wouldn't work.

Edit. Just viewed the cached video. Only 2 dropped frames (I could see) with mobile data ON. Very Impessive, leaps ahead of the official app.

Entering fast mode (long press HS field, turns from green to red) also increases RTH speed.
Fully agree on the dropped frames, so much better than the official app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv