Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Best placement for repeater

mark74

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what is the best placement for the wifi repeater. It will run off of my phones USB. Is it best there or on a battery between the phone and the tello?

Best placement is 3 to 5 meters (or more) from you in the direction you intend to fly, up off the ground, using a power brick. Plugging into your phone's USB port won't help much.

Your phone and any other device is a source of RF noise and the wifi extender's job is to listen to silent whispers of Tello from a distance.

Plugging the wifi repeater into your phone (major source of RF) is more or less the worst placement I can imagine. Still it works OK for some, but never for reliable long distance.

Get a decent powerbank and put it 5m away, if possible on a stand (optional) but not directly attached to a tree (trees contain lots of moisture and aborb wifi signals)

Here's how I organize myself: WiFi extender installed on an adjustable base and added an adhesive aluminum parabolic mirror.
All at 4-5 meters from me.

pretty much perfect I'd say, except for the prop guards.
But the anemometer is probably overkill

I'm too lazy for all that. I just use some fencing post for the extender, fly by phone only, and handlaunch / land. No fuss.

pretty much perfect I'd say, except for the prop guards.
But the anemometer is probably overkill

I'm too lazy for all that. I just use some fencing post for the extender, fly by phone only, and handlaunch / land. No fuss.
I prefer to fly with the guards, just to avoid engine damage in the event of an accident.
for everything else, I like to use Tello as if it were a professional drone. naturally within its limits. I don't see it as a toy!;)

treat the repeater as any antenna , place it high up and in the clear( within reason of course) as best you can ,for best coverage .

Nice kit! (y)

Sometimes I think I want an anemometer, just as a curiosity more than anything...

Yeah, I'm a gadget freak :) LOL
I also took it more out of curiosity, I wanted to check the reliability of some weather apps regarding the wind. But I think it's also useful for these little drones ...(y)

Reactions: umanbean
Could share some details/design of the mirror? how much performance gain do you reckon it gives you? Sweet setup btw!

Hi, unfortunately, after having built this reflector due to the weather not suitable for Tello, I only did a test flight about 100 meters away with a 90db signal, but I hope to fly again soon when the strong wind and the rain calm down. .. But I still have to better test all this.
I enclose some images.

Attachments

• 41ZVUImTYoL.jpg
    41ZVUImTYoL.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190314_204901.jpg
    20190314_204901.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 69
  • 20190314_205234.jpg
    20190314_205234.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20190314_204545.jpg