Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Checking in from ECity NC

Fire Drone

Reaction score
Hi Y’all,
Fire Drone here, I’m completely new to drones actually stumbled across the DJI Tello on my sons FFA {Future Farmer of America} field trip. A gentleman had 3 of them to demonstrate how they use the larger ones in crop/livestock farming. I instantly became hooked ordered one on my phone before getting to the next area.

I do have a question. On the Tellofpv app it’s now 1.5d I think that’s what the download was today, do I need a active 4g connection when using the optional GPS feature of the app?

Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi Y’all,
Fire Drone here, I’m completely new to drones actually stumbled across the DJI Tello on my sons FFA {Future Farmer of America} field trip. A gentleman had 3 of them to demonstrate how they use the larger ones in crop/livestock farming. I instantly became hooked ordered one on my phone before getting to the next area.

I do have a question. On the Tellofpv app it’s now 1.5d I think that’s what the download was today, do I need a active 4g connection when using the optional GPS feature of the app?

Thanks
Yeah don’t worry found my answer. Friendly forum.

Reactions: bsaridar
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . (y)

Welcome! Drone are pretty cool aren't they!!!
The Tello drone itself only has VPS (visual positioning sensors).
The Tello FPV app has a work-around that allows the Tello to use the your phone's GPS in conjunction with the the Tello's VPS = VGPS. Some phones will allow GPS without data, others need data and GPS combo to aquire a fix. Check with your phone's manufacturer to see. Maybe do a Google search for your phone's capabilities
You actually have to use the trial version of the VGPS feature in the TelloFPV app before you by it. Also navigate to the help tab in the TelloFPv app and read the PDF file. I have an LG Stylo 5 and use data GPS combo on mine. I haven't flown in an area without data... YET.

There is two things requiring data service:
1 License validation. That one will stop after two days. I know it sucks but without it I would have stopped development long ago due to pirate copies

2 GPS table download
To calculate the position fix any phone / device needs some GPS timing tables. It can either download these from the internet (quick) or can wait for them to arrive via the GPS signal (can take minutes)
These tables are cached, so once you have a position fix you are typically good for some time.

You will have to successfully test vGPS before being allowed to purchase it. Functionality is pretty limited in my view: just last known position upon connection loss, and KML path shown in Google Earth. vGPS was just a by-product of the FollowMe function that sadly never worked well enough.
The reason its a paid upgrade is not to earn money (i sold maybe 200 vGPS) but to keep my sanity as this function generates too many service requests.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv