Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Computational capability of Object Detection with Tello drone with OpenCV?

ExcellentBadger

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on using the Tello Drone and it's in-built Range Finder to find distance to an object that I detect with OpenCV. For example, I detect a dog and find the distance towards the dog, and then the drone has to fly towards that drone to pet it with the bottom of the drone's body. Also, in case I have a bunch of dogs, I need to somehow segment the image so that I sequentially go to each dog and pet it until I pet every dog in the room. So, is this computationally possible with the DJI tello drone EDU? I have never used this before and want to know the feasibility of this. Also, If i want to make sure that this drone works in the night, is there some feature that allows me to have some sort of flashlight? Finally, does the tello drone even have a distance sensors bc if not I want to add a LiDar to the drone but then again, I don't know if it's even possible to add extra sensors on this drone. Now after saying all of this, I know that it's better to have a custom drone built but I'm on a time constraint and won't have time to build an drone

I am not sure, if I understood your plan completely - you want to pet a dog with the drone...?

The built-in ToF sensor measures only downwards. But if you use object detection in OpenCV, you can also make an estimation about the horizontal distance. If it detects a dog and the size of the dog is known, you can estimate the distance from the size of the bounding box.

If you fly above the dogs, you would have to switch to the downward facing camera. My guess is, that the object detection will not work reliable from that perspective.

The ToF sensor uses infrared light and also works in the dark. The cameras need good light. You would have to add LEDs on the bottom and at the front. But they must be high power (at least 0.5 W but even this will only work on short distances and probably frighten away your "objects".

The Tello Talent expansion kit also provides a horizontal ToF sensor but with a very limited range (may be about 1.5 m).

So it looks like the Tello will not meet your requirements.

I am not sure, if I understood your plan completely - you want to pet a dog with the drone...?

The built-in ToF sensor measures only downwards. But if you use object detection in OpenCV, you can also make an estimation about the horizontal distance. If it detects a dog and the size of the dog is known, you can estimate the distance from the size of the bounding box.

If you fly above the dogs, you would have to switch to the downward facing camera. My guess is, that the object detection will not work reliable from that perspective.

The ToF sensor uses infrared light and also works in the dark. The cameras need good light. You would have to add LEDs on the bottom and at the front. But they must be high power (at least 0.5 W but even this will only work on short distances and probably frighten away your "objects".

The Tello Talent expansion kit also provides a horizontal ToF sensor but with a very limited range (may be about 1.5 m).

So it looks like the Tello will not meet your requirements.
Yea basically, pet a dog with the drone. It's just a test. So the drone would 't be suitable for my requirements because of the lack of accurate distance sensing? If so, is there a way I can attach a LiDar sensor onto the drone taking into account the weight? I don't if it is possible to configure the tello drone to communicate with a LiDar sensor

If you take a deeper look at the RMTT Expansion Kit and it's code (publically available), you will see, how to communicate between a kind of hook-up and the Tello. You can not bring your own software on the Tello but you can bring some intelligence to the hook-up.

If you take a deeper look at the RMTT Expansion Kit and it's code (publically available), you will see, how to communicate between a kind of hook-up and the Tello. You can not bring your own software on the Tello but you can bring some intelligence to the hook-up.
Oh I see thank you, I never knew about this. This helps a lot, I'm only worried about the cost though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv