Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Controller is it worth it?

Robfez29

Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice because I’ve seen pros and cons of having a Bluetooth controller but what’s everyone’s real opinion of them, do you just stick to phone controls?

I’d like to try one so I can use the VR function but I want to be sure before spending £30 on something I’ll never use.

I’m looking for some advice because I’ve seen pros and cons of having a Bluetooth controller but what’s everyone’s real opinion of them, do you just stick to phone controls?

I’d like to try one so I can use the VR function but I want to be sure before spending £30 on something I’ll never use.
Robfez29, if you plan to do VR, I strongly suggest to use DroneVR+ app.
That app, not only is really good ( andr free for Tello), but also you can use USB OTG controller.
This allows you to turn your phone in airplane mode that sets bluetooth off, that improves distance and video quality.
Hope it helps
Regards
Gabriel

Reactions: lieronet
Robfez29, if you plan to do VR, I strongly suggest to use DroneVR+ app.
That app, not only is really good ( andr free for Tello), but also you can use USB OTG controller.
This allows you to turn your phone in airplane mode that sets bluetooth off, that improves distance and video quality.
Hope it helps
Regards
Gabriel
Is this compatible with iPhone?

However you choose to connect, a controller will make your Tello massively more enjoyable to fly. The T1d which I have might not have the smoothest stick action but you can still fly it like a proper aircraft and not just a toy ! (IMO ;))
I would not have bought the Tello if the phone interface was the only way to fly it.

Reactions: Clinton1
However you choose to connect, a controller will make your Tello massively more enjoyable to fly. The T1d which I have might not have the smoothest stick action but you can still fly it like a proper aircraft and not just a toy ! (IMO ;))
I would not have bought the Tello if the phone interface was the only way to fly it.
Do experience much lag or interference from using it?

I find the td1 very useful maybe because when I just use the phone my fingers sometimes run off the sides of the phone. I am confident that over time a new Tello or firmware will continue to improve Tello or software

Reactions: Robfez29
Thanks for all the messages guys, I think I’ll give it a go and see if it suits me

Do experience much lag or interference from using it?
No, not with the extender anyway. The only slight downside is the quality of the actual joysticks. If you have ever used a radio control with a model or say the controller from the Mavic you will realise how much more silky smooth they are compared to the T1d. You can still fly OK but it is harder to get very slow speed pans (yaw) when filming or combining precise inputs from both sticks.
EDIT: I think I will try to put a small blob of silicon grease on mine to see if it improves it.

Reactions: Robfez29
No, not with the extender anyway. The only slight downside is the quality of the actual joysticks. If you have ever used a radio control with a model or say the controller from the Mavic you will realise how much more silky smooth they are compared to the T1d. You can still fly OK but it is harder to get very slow speed pans (yaw) when filming or combining precise inputs from both sticks.
EDIT: I think I will try to put a small blob of silicon grease on mine to see if it improves it.
Yeah I’ve flown RC planes for about 10 years, thats why I’m wanting something physical to control with.
I’ve seen a cheap one in a shop near mine I’ll go pick it up after work and let you guys know what I think

Reactions: Rog3r
So after finally figuring out how to connect the controller to my phone (Pressing Y+Home button for iPhone, not A+Home)

I connected it up and flew around the house a bit as it’s crap weather for outdoors plus only a test flight.

It feels much better to control and I actually am surprised at how smooth you can make it fly.
The lag is pretty much the same as using iPhone controls so that’s a big relief for me.

Now for VR, I used it a little but as it’s not a wide angle lens it’s hard to go through a gap without thinking your going to hit something and way overestimate control.
But for all this kit has cost in total I’m really please with what this little drone can do.
I want to fly it everyday!! Haha

Reactions: Clinton1
So after finally figuring out how to connect the controller to my phone (Pressing Y+Home button for iPhone, not A+Home)
Glad you like it but what do you mean by the Y+Home etc ? All i do is make sure I have BT running on my phone (Android) and press the BT button on the T1d (I am not 100% sure you even need to do that)

Glad you like it but what do you mean by the Y+Home etc ? All i do is make sure I have BT running on my phone (Android) and press the BT button on the T1d (I am not 100% sure you even need to do that)
I got the gamesir g3 so when you first start it, it scans for Android phones, as I’m using an iPhone I had to hold Y+Home first to get it to change to scanning for iOS devices, now it’s saved Everytime.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv