Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Counter clockwise motors (both of them) suddenly stopped working after a small crash.

gamedex

Reaction score
Hello fellow pilots. My Tello got into a bit of a crash, not too high, I think around a meter high. After that, 2 of the motors weren't spinning anymore. Both the counter clockwise motors were not spinning. Only the clockwise ones are working. I have tried imu calibration but didn't help. I don't want to jump in to motor replacement yet, i was think maybe some wiring for the CCW motors came loose and may need resoldering. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I was about to suggest the same. Open her up and check the wiring. If it's good, then the board became bad. Also check that your battery is properly seated. Half the voltage means half the drone.

I was about to suggest the same. Open her up and check the wiring. If it's good, then the board became bad. Also check that your battery is properly seated. Half the voltage means half the drone.
half the voltage means nothing works...

I respectfully disagree. I've seen many electronics partially working due to a bad seated battery.
it is a battery connection. It is either on (closed circuit) or off (open circuit). Unless you are saying the battery has more than 2 terminals and it is just a bundle of more than 1 individual cells. In that case bad seating can make one cell connect while other(s) disconnect and the device may operate under voltage.

Well, this morning ( its morning where im at ) I found a way to shimmy the CCW motors without pinching them too much. I was able to ever so gently, pull the motors up, and voila, found that blue wire snapped from the motor, and on the other side, its the black one. No wonder why they won't spin anymore. The wires' length are really tight. They snapped cleanly from the motor. Like they were pull off from inside the motor. I think the other side is the same case. Oh well, i'll have to wait for the replacement motors to arrive.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_094208.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094208.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190203_094910.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094910.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190203_094404.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094404.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20190203_094104.jpg
    IMG_20190203_094104.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190203_093820.jpg
    IMG_20190203_093820.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: xcrost
Well, this morning ( its morning where im at ) I found a way to shimmy the CCW motors without pinching them too much. I was able to ever so gently, pull the motors up, and voila, found that blue wire snapped from the motor, and on the other side, its the black one. No wonder why they won't spin anymore. The wires' length are really tight. They snapped cleanly from the motor. Like they were pull off from inside the motor. I think the other side is the same case. Oh well, i'll have to wait for the replacement motors to arrive.
Bummer....One of my pre-flight checks after a crash is to insure the motors are pushed all the way down. They can and will "work their way up" over time and crashes!!! I just posted a similar thread on my recent motor experience. You might check that too! :Warning! Check your motors...

That's why I always fly with the mounted guards ... in case of an accident, the propeller engines are protected from violent shocks due to the disconnection of the power cables!

This can be useful in replacing the engines, for a "clean" job

That's why I always fly with the mounted guards ... in case of an accident, the propeller engines are protected from violent shocks due to the disconnection of the power cables!

This can be useful in replacing the engines, for a "clean" job

haha I always do no prop guards outside. Also the amount of ppl doing botch motor replacement on tello is shocking. How hard is it do cut the wire to length and solder them on ffs

haha I always do no prop guards outside. Also the amount of ppl doing botch motor replacement on tello is shocking. How hard is it do cut the wire to length and solder them on ffs
If one has a certain dexterity in these things, it is not so difficult ... I have done many more complicated repairs than welding these wires!
Fortunately, I have not yet performed this repair on Tello, but for many I think it's quite complicated!

These things are under warranty from the manufacturer. I learned the hard way. Check and see if they will honor the warranty first before you start pulling stuff off or welding wires together. Be careful not to damage the wires to the antenna in the rear feet. I clipped the wrong one cut it too short and never worked right again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv