Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Creating aerial 3D stereoscopic images from TelloFPV photos

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hi all,

I succed creating stunning aerial 3D stereoscopic pictures using Tello aircraft.

The kind of 3D picture created is called anaglyph. You will need typical red/blue glasses for full enjoy deep effect. Glasses I'm using are a cheap cardboard ones.

anaglyph glasses.jpg

All you need is shooting TWO photos. Take first photo, then slightly side move Tello and take second photo. I advice you to NOT MOVING TOO MUCH between shoots. I only give a little push to the roll stick. In fact, a few centimeters will be enought to get 3D effect for close objects. Too much lateral displacement will ruin 3D effect for close objects but will increase the effect for distant objects, as if we look through the eyes of a giant creature.

tello anagyph.jpg

I advise you use TelloFPV for taking images. Their photo algorithm is great. Photo download can be fully controlled. It can be even cancelled if something goes wrong.

Once you get both images you will have to process them with a graphic editing program, like Adobe Photosop. I followed this web tutorial: Making Anaglyph Images in Adobe Photoshop

I wear 3D glasses for final adjustment. I need to move layers, select and crop the part of image where 3d effect is more noticeable.

I'm glad to share with you my first attempt for creating a Tello anaglyph from 30 meters height. Get some 3d glasses and give it a chance. I advise you eyes will take a while to get used to deep efect. I love the way distant buildings can be seen at the very right of image. Enjoy !

tello anaglyph el peral.jpg

Original left and right pictures here. Notice inclination due to the wind. Press over thumbnail for full image. Feel free to use them for your test.

left.jpg right.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @raulvolador,
a great idea. (y)

But it should also be possible to create a 3D pictures from the two pictures you hat taken. And then look at the picture with a VR glass.
Of course with both you neet a windless weather. If this is the case here in Germany I'll try this.

Reactions: Olle Jacobson
Hi Raul,

Great you did it ! I will look at this this evening, i have not my anaglyph googles all the time with me ! ;-)

For people who wants to do that too, an alternative to photoshop is to use the free Windows app Stereo Photo Maker :

You just have to import left and right pictures, align and adjust distance between them, then generate file (side by side or anaglyph format ; i prefer side by side because it need less eyes work and is better for colours). You can also generate video or other effects, there is tutorials on their web page.

I have done few pics for that this week end, i have to make a test stereo photo too. But it will not so good as yours, i was in forest and i couldn't fly high because of the trees...

See you !

Last edited:
I just took 2 photos in my office. Put them together with Paint and load it back to my phone. Then view it with the galery - and it looks great. :)(y)
This time I made the photos with my smartphone. But when I'm outside, I will make it with my Tello.

Hi all,
I succed creating stunning aerial 3D stereoscopic pictures using Tello aircraft.
Hi,
I looked at your picture, it is great ! Very adapted for that effect !
I just try to make an auto alignment in StereoPhoto Maker with your 2 pics, here is the result (anaglyph and side by side). I hadn't the original pic, so the quality is a little poor but the auto alignment job work very well !

See you !

Hi,
I looked at your picture, it is great ! Very adapted for that effect !
I just try to make an auto alignment in StereoPhoto Maker with your 2 pics, here is the result (anaglyph and side by side). I hadn't the original pic, so the quality is a little poor but the auto alignment job work very well !

See you !
@spamaro,

That software it's very interesting.

I edited first post for adding original left and right images at full resolution. Feel free for use them for your test. All the best.

Raul.

Reactions: spamaro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv