Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Difference Between the iOS and Android Tello App

Avellas

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the Android Tello app shows the actual amount of battery power remaining in % and the iOS app doesn’t!

Thanks....

Not sure why you’re not seeing it on iOS app. Mine shows it at the very top, near the center.
Here is the differences between the iOS version and the android version. I’ve circled it in yellow.

Attachments

• A77413A1-2572-4F1B-8971-87F6CAD4702D.jpeg
    A77413A1-2572-4F1B-8971-87F6CAD4702D.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 65
  • E2B3B95B-172F-45A7-9F76-FCCC5E9102A3.jpeg
    E2B3B95B-172F-45A7-9F76-FCCC5E9102A3.jpeg
    591.1 KB · Views: 55
I've noticed the same thing. IOS app doesn't show the numeric value, but Android does.
I don’t know about you, but I find that strange, since it’s not a sophisticated functionality!
Thanks for your reply and confirmation.

Software developers here know exactly what (likely) happened.

One platform is the reference platform, that code being ported to the other platform. At some point the subordinate platform had to freeze it's development for testing before release, which had one of the two methods of displaying battery. After that, the superior platform got an additional change, which released, but wasn't included in the already well-under-way-testing platform release candidate.

Sounds a little complicated, but it really isn't when you think about it a bit.

Software developers here know exactly what (likely) happened.

One platform is the reference platform, that code being ported to the other platform. At some point the subordinate platform had to freeze it's development for testing before release, which had one of the two methods of displaying battery. After that, the superior platform got an additional change, which released, but wasn't included in the already well-under-way-testing platform release candidate.

Sounds a little complicated, but it really isn't when you think about it a bit.
Hi,
Thanks for the insight, much appreciated.

On another topic, could you please give us some insight on the frame skipping and video lag issues that everyone has been complaining about, especially with Bluetooth RCs, including MFI certified ones.

Hi,
Thanks for the insight, much appreciated.

On another topic, could you please give us some insight on the frame skipping and video lag issues that everyone has been complaining about, especially with Bluetooth RCs, including MFI certified ones.
Sure! The answer is, truly, very simple.

A cell phone is a very poor WIFI transmitter. This is because it has no (real) antenna. Yes, there's a wifi antenna internally, and it does an amazing job for what it is, but it really isn't suitable for transmitting and receiving high bandwidth signals beyond 30ft or so. You'll notice that the Tello video stream is great when it's right by you. Get it out 50 ft away or so, and it starts to freeze, skip, lag, etc.

Want to make it worse? Put something between your phone and the Tello that really dense with water. Meat works well. Hey! That's a Human Body! Fly your Tello behind you and your range will drop fast.

It's all in the phone. And transmission characteristics for wifi can vary greatly among different phone models.

Contrast this with my Mavic Air, also only wifi, that made it 2.5 miles (13,000ft) unobstructed before I lost the video and brought it back (still had a control connection). However, the MA remote has two external antennas, and a more powerful transmitter.

Reactions: Clinton1
Sure! The answer is, truly, very simple.

A cell phone is a very poor WIFI transmitter. This is because it has no (real) antenna. Yes, there's a wifi antenna internally, and it does an amazing job for what it is, but it really isn't suitable for transmitting and receiving high bandwidth signals beyond 30ft or so. You'll notice that the Tello video stream is great when it's right by you. Get it out 50 ft away or so, and it starts to freeze, skip, lag, etc.

Want to make it worse? Put something between your phone and the Tello that really dense with water. Meat works well. Hey! That's a Human Body! Fly your Tello behind you and your range will drop fast.

It's all in the phone. And transmission characteristics for wifi can vary greatly among different phone models.

Contrast this with my Mavic Air, also only wifi, that made it 2.5 miles (13,000ft) unobstructed before I lost the video and brought it back (still had a control connection). However, the MA remote has two external antennas, and a more powerful transmitter.
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, however I’ve seen frame skipping within a few feet away especially when a Bluetooth controller is being used.

I truly believe that Ryze should be able to fix this through a firmware upgrade especially from the fact that some people have commented that this was not the issue with a previous version. When I hear this, it goes to show that the frame skipping is fixable and not totally restricted by the hardware.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, however I’ve seen frame skipping within a few feet away especially when a Bluetooth controller is being used.
You'll have problems with occasional dropped frames within a few feet if the drone is moving. Wifi is not designed for moving stations. There are entirely different (and far more robust) transmission protocols that do very well with moving sources.

You will notice few, if any dropped frames when your Tello is sitting still on the ground. You can even walk quite a distance away and, when stop and stay in place for a short bit, again stable video without dropped frames.

The problem is not range; it's misuse of a wireless technology for a circumstance it isn't designed to handle reliable.

You'll have problems with occasional dropped frames within a few feet if the drone is moving. Wifi is not designed for moving stations. There are entirely different (and far more robust) transmission protocols that do very well with moving sources.

You will notice few, if any dropped frames when your Tello is sitting still on the ground. You can even walk quite a distance away and, when stop and stay in place for a short bit, again stable video without dropped frames.

The problem is not range; it's misuse of a wireless technology for a circumstance it isn't designed to handle reliable.
I’m sure there’s something that Ryze and/or DJI can to improve it or even fix it. In fact, in another post on this forum a member received an answer from Ryze and DJI stating that they are aware of the issue and that it should be fixed in the next firmware release (they did not say, however when that will be).

I’m sure there’s something that Ryze and/or DJI can to improve it or even fix it. In fact, in another post on this forum a member received an answer from Ryze and DJI stating that they are aware of the issue and that it should be fixed in the next firmware release (they did not say, however when that will be).
Okay.

FWIW, I know better. Can't be done with wifi. Can they improve it? No doubt. Can they make it as reliable as Occusync? No.

And that's point. That's why they invested millions in Occusync. If it could simply be "fixed" for wifi, Occusync wouldn't exist.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv