Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Discussion - Tello's Value Proposition in 2019

@volatello I'm not sure who that was directed at but I for one am quite happy with the Tello's value and especially your software. Nonetheless, the package with controller and Wifi extender is close to $200 which Is why I was curious about what others thought that could buy in today's competitive drone marketplace. I like the size and weight of the Tello and especially its price. Do I miss not having an onboard SD card and a camera on a gimbal, sure, but that just means that at some point I may spring for Tello 2 or some other drone.
My comment was directed at the threadstarter who seems to feel sad about the purchase. Life is too short for that so just move on!

For me, nothing can replace my Tello. The skills and fun times it has given me are enough to buy another one, the moment mine dies. As for how much I've spent, well.

Tello $109 (brought a carrying case and crappy VR goggles)
Battery $20
4 sets of props $10
Controller $60 (to be fair, I had it before the Tello was even created)
Clip for controller $15
Wifi extender $9
Battery bank $10

For a grand total of $233 USD

Having gotten the $99 deal for the Tello Boost pack right after Christmas, I think it's a deal, even with adding the controller, wifi extender, extra props and case.

I too like the small size. At some point I may look into a larger drone but I like the portability and inconspicuousness of the Tello.

mikeg

I purchased my Tello through DJI for $99.00 as the boost package. It came with usb cable, three batteries, charging block and two extra props. The Tello app did not cost anything to download for both my android tablet and my iPhone 8+.

For a small drone, I am quite satisfied and use it often introducing young individuals to the experience.

I love my Tello. It was a combo for £139 plus the range extender. My best purchase though was the alternative app which is brilliant. I've only flown outside a couple of times due to the wind speeds here. I'm very pleased. 2019-02-01 09-19-41.jpg

Reactions: volate!lo
I too like the small size. At some point I may look into a larger drone but I like the portability and inconspicuousness of the Tello.
Exactly. start a Spark or Bebop and people look at you as if you just took out a sword to killemall. Launch a Mavick and they call the cops. Start a Tello and receive a smile, or at least be ignored. Its just a toy.

Even a 200gr dobby is way louder and sounds aggressive compared to Tell. Plus it actually underperforms compared to Tello.

From my point of view, Tello is a small entry level drone (not only a toy).
It does exactly what it´s specification describes, in a high quality way.
For me, the word is: reliability
Excelent hardware and excelent firmware.

This allows clever people like Dennis Baldwin and Marisa Vickery develope software to teach Drone to kids with a tool as DroneBlocks that runs on Android or Chrome, or people like Volate!lo, that developes excelent control software, that allows us to learn how to make really good videos thanks to trimming the controls, fix POI to circle or travel, or create Panoramas.

All this, only can be done with a stable and high quality plataform that DJI ( @Ryze ) designed.

And of course, with this comercial strategy, when all we will start to look for more power... our short list wil start with DJI products.

And which brand you think will choose in the future, those kids that are learning now with Tello EDU???

Regards

Gabriel

Reactions: volate!lo
This combo was $99 before Xmas. Now back to 149. Was advertised on several FB groups.
https://www.adorama.com/djicptl0140...EIF51svabpQBJaO40GUmAzQipq0leWBcuGfdMN3ouqEP8

Sadly not for me but only for folks in the US

I paid $4 for the wifi extender, shipping was around 2 weeks so reasonable. If you chose to order it locally then you have to pay a premium of course. But then to be fair you'd have to buy the other drones & accessories locally, too. In that case the prices will be different I guess.

Anyway you just seem to be unhappy with what you got for your money. And you don't seem to want what Tello has to offer, but something different. No problem, maybe just return it and move on.
I have owned enough drones over the years to know when I found a gem, and Tello is one (for me).

EDIT: Just found the boost combo has 3 batteries in total, not 4. So total flight time 39min.

That might have been directed at me. The only thing I'm actually unhappy with is the buying experience which had everything to do with Google Express and nothing to do with the Tello. Since it looked like I was going to have to return it, had already flown it a bit, and would have to pay full price to get it back, I was considering trying out something else that on paper beats it and doesn't require me to buy a separate controller to have tactile inputs. However, I did finally receive the second battery today, so I'm definitely keeping it for a while.

The Tello + 2 extra batteries for $99 would have made it a great bargain. Sadly, that's not available anymore, and was a pretty limited time price so shouldn't really be considered on value comparisons. With a year of advancement since Tello came out and it not having dropped in price at all, I was curious if some of the newer budget drones, or older mid-tier drones, that are now a similar price are actually better buys and what other people thought on the matter. FWIW, the Yuneec Breeze for $150 is at Walmart.

What I'd love to see in the Tello 2 is an sd card, a working app, and a simple controller with built in range extender like many of the Chinese drones. A 1080 (post EIS) camera would be nice, but not necessary. I think much more than that (electronic gimbal, GPS, etc.) would start pushing the price closer to $200+ and into a different market.

It has been listed often lately for only $79. I still like my Tello. It is light, easy to launch for a quick photo and still fun.
Yes, but as bargain. If you go to DJI.com or any retail store, the regular price is still $99.

IMO, Tello is in a class by itself.

I got in on the holiday $99 for the Boost package deal. Gamesir t1s $33, Mi extender $12, case for all $20.

TelloFPV app $5us - also in a class by itself!

Best (most fun) $170 I've spent in a long time.

Honestly though, after rushing to buy all that paraphernalia, I have the most fun with just Tello, a Galaxy S5, and TelloFPV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv