Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Do I get another Tello?

Bsotoiii

Reaction score
So, I recently lost my second Tello. Let me rephrase - I had my first Tello for about a year and I lost it when I lost wi-fi connections and it got carried off in the wind and ended in somebody else's yard/tree. I went to every house around me and asked the neighbors but never found the drone. Because I had a controller, extra batteries, carrying case, had even been using the TelloFPV app, etc, I decided to buy another one. Not to mention the fact that I like the little thing. Well, I was zipping around with it pretty well and after owning it for just over a month, it once again got caught in the wind and ended up in a very tall tree in my own yard (and no, I did not have the propeller guards on). After a couple of days I was able to get it down by climbing on a ladder with three long poles duct taped together and was able to knock it out of the tree. When I went to try to fly it, three of the propellers worked, one motor was completely dead. I was able to order the replacement motors from Amazon and watched several videos about how to fix it. Well after multiple attempts of doing this, I have been unsuccessful. So now I have a dead Tello and I'm actually considering whether I should buy another one or not. I feel like I've got a lot of time and money already invested in this product line. Do I cut my losses or do I go ahead and get another Tello? One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is because it's great practice for when I fly my DJI Mini 2 not to mention I don't have to get in the car and go somewhere to fly a Tello. So am I crazy to consider getting a third one? Anybody else purchased multiple Tellos over their lifetime? Lol!

Last edited:
OK, of course my case is special as it's business expense. But I seriously lost count of the number of Tellos I have / had / still have. Currently I have 5: The first tello I ever purchased hangs on the wall and gets flown every few months only. Still doing OK, not great but it has 80+ h of flight time so its OLD.
2 are in active use, one for development which is worn out, one for leisure use in excellent condition.
2 more still unused in the box (ya never know when the stop selling them, better be prepared).

As you said: Mini 2 is great but depending on your neighborhood not easy to get much flight time.

Regulation is getting to a point where I think in a year or so Tello may be the last drone to own and operate for fun. I just wish they made one with SD card.

OK, of course my case is special as it's business expense. But I seriously lost count of the number of Tellos I have / had / still have. Currently I have 5: The first tello I ever purchased hangs on the wall and gets flown every few months only. Still doing OK, not great but it has 80+ h of flight time so its OLD.
2 are in active use, one for development which is worn out, one for leisure use in excellent condition.
2 more still unused in the box (ya never know when the stop selling them, better be prepared).

As you said: Mini 2 is great but depending on your neighborhood not easy to get much flight time.

Regulation is getting to a point where I think in a year or so Tello may be the last drone to own and operate for fun. I just wish they made one with SD card.
Thanks for that insight. I am not surprised that you have owned so many considering all the work you've done with the Tello. Your app is a major reason why I would even consider another one. It is so much better than the original app. So, my thanks to you for that.

I agree with you that a SD card would be wonderful. I also have no qualms about the cost of the Tello because I think it's a very solid product for the money. And you're right, I would hate to see them stop making them.

So, I guess you have helped me make the decision to get another one! I will place my order today! Thanks again!

The Tello is a great drone for the price, with a few problems. We have 12 of them. They have been pushed to the extrema and still function. i neve thought that it was an outdoor drone, but seems to do well giving outdoor photos for many. It is much less expensive than many drones over 249 grams. Now as the Robomaster Tello Talent, it has many more possibilities. We ahve purchase the Maker fire LiteBee Wing FM for our swarm flights and given up the on the Tello. The Tello EDU is great with the Tello EDU app. most drones will fail when pushed to the extreme3. Do not lily when there is wind of high temperatures. even airplane pilots are concerned about wind. So, get another one and enjoy the hobby. It is an inexpensive hobby due to the Tello. Good luck!

Reactions: Bsotoiii
So, I recently lost my second Tello. Let me rephrase - I had my first Tello for about a year and I lost it when I lost wi-fi connections and it got carried off in the wind and ended in somebody else's yard/tree. I went to every house around me and asked the neighbors but never found the drone. Because I had a controller, extra batteries, carrying case, had even been using the TelloFPV app, etc, I decided to buy another one. Not to mention the fact that I like the little thing. Well, I was zipping around with it pretty well and after owning it for just over a month, it once again got caught in the wind and ended up in a very tall tree in my own yard(and no, I did not have the propeller guards on). After a couple of days I was able to get it down by climbing on a ladder with three long poles duct taped together and was able to knock it out of the tree. When I went to try to fly it, three of the propellers worked, one motor was completely dead. I was able to order the replacement motors from Amazon and watched several videos about how to fix it. Well after multiple attempts of doing this, I have been unsuccessful. So now I have a dead Tello and I'm actually considering whether I should buy another one or not. I feel like I've got a lot of time and money already invested in this product line. Do I cut my losses or do I go ahead and get another Tello? One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is because it's great practice for when I fly my DJI Mini 2 not to mention I don't have to get in the car and go somewhere to fly a Tello. So am I crazy to consider getting a third one? Anybody else purchased multiple Tellos over there lifetime? Lol!
I’ve had six regular Tello’s total. Lost two, broke a couple but can still be used have two others experiment with. I also have the EDU and the Tello talent and I haven’t even had time to try either one of those out yet. I have many DJI, and other drones as well. The Tello is a one-of-a-kind. if I ever have time , i’ll use it for coding as well. So No, you’re not alone. Haha

I’ve had six regular Tello’s total. Lost two, broke a couple but can still be used have two others experiment with. I also have the EDU and the Tello talent and I haven’t even had time to try either one of those out yet. I have many DJI, and other drones as well. The Tello is a one-of-a-kind. if I ever have time , i’ll use it for coding as well. So No, you’re not alone. Haha

One thought just came to my mind: If I was allowed only one drone, which one would I choose?

For me the answer is: Tello

Personally I'd rather have a micro fun drone that can do good photos, acceptable FPV, and acceptable video than a Mavic Mini that excels in everything but which I rarely use due to regulations, neighbors, time to deploy, noise, ...

Reactions: Bsotoiii
One thought just came to my mind: If I was allowed only one drone, which one would I choose?

For me the answer is: Tello

Personally I'd rather have a micro fun drone that can do good photos, acceptable FPV, and acceptable video than a Mavic Mini that excels in everything but which I rarely use due to regulations, neighbors, time to deploy, noise, ...
That's a great point!

The Tello is a great drone for the price, with a few problems. We have 12 of them. They have been pushed to the extrema and still function. i neve thought that it was an outdoor drone, but seems to do well giving outdoor photos for many. It is much less expensive than many drones over 249 grams. Now as the Robomaster Tello Talent, it has many more possibilities. We ahve purchase the Maker fire LiteBee Wing FM for our swarm flights and given up the on the Tello. The Tello EDU is great with the Tello EDU app. most drones will fail when pushed to the extreme3. Do not lily when there is wind of high temperatures. even airplane pilots are concerned about wind. So, get another one and enjoy the hobby. It is an inexpensive hobby due to the Tello. Good luck!
Thank you Dan! Based on the feedback I've gotten, it just confirmed what I was thinking. I've gone ahead and ordered another one!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843