Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Do I need to use the Tello DJI app on the first flight?

Bob Suval

Reaction score
Hello, I just received my Tello. My first drone. I would like to know if it is necessary to use the Tello app BEFORE using the Tello FPV app. Thanks and regards to all. From Patagonia.

TelloFpv can "activate" the drone (without sending your data to china) so there is no need to use the Ryze app.

Reactions: Bob Suval
TelloFpv can "activate" the drone (without sending your data to china) so there is no need to use the Ryze app.

Thank you very much for your clarification, it is something that seems simple but I had not read it elsewhere. What I did (before reading your answer) was:
- to load the Ryse app which loaded the latest version of the OS into the drone (and surely reported to China), but what do they report? When I wanted to see if the drone worked, I noticed that it was seen when filming but not when I put a photo.
- Then load your TelloFpv app and everything worked OK (thanks for the warning to put in airplane mode !!)

So I ask you: Is it necessary to have the Ryze app installed for some reason? Or does your app replace it in everything? Software updates?
And about these updates, do they always have to be done or have you noticed that they are not good at all under any circumstances? Today I made my first drone flight !!!.
I congratulate you on your app,
Regards

You only need it for firmware updates (which rarely do much good and are not necessary these days unless you purchase some very old stock) and for IMU calibration which tellofpv can't do as I have bricked one tello when trying to do that.
I never had to do an imu calibration so I don't think it's an issue

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv