Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Do you need to calibrate Tello out of the box?

Londroner

Reaction score
I just unboxed my Tello, fired it up and flew, no problems. I've since found the IMU and Centre of Gravity Calibrate options in the app settings and was wondering if I need to perform these. I know other drones recommend you calibrate every time you change location but Tello seems to be fine. Any suggestions?

I've also noticed my Tello drifts very slightly to the left while hovering indoors with no wind (obviously!). Again, no biggie but it made me wonder if this was a calibration issue.

Drift can be due to low light conditions or a floor/floor covering that is dark and a single color. Your Tello has a hard time seeing sometimes. Try it in a well lit area with little or no wind to see.
You shouldn't need to calibrate your Tello each flight. I have not touched these options and have flown with no problems.

Happy flying!

Upgrade firmware and calibrate. If you have good light it should not drift!

You don't need to calibrate every time you fly.

Reactions: Londroner
Drift can be due to low light conditions or a floor/floor covering that is dark and a single color. Your Tello has a hard time seeing sometimes. Try it in a well lit area with little or no wind to see.
You shouldn't need to calibrate your Tello each flight. I have not touched these options and have flown with no problems.

Happy flying!
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I was flying in low ambient light conditions.

Reactions: LPgeoteacher
hi even outside when I take off I move a meter, and despite the recalibration the problem is not solved

hi even outside when I take off I move a meter, and despite the recalibration the problem is not solved
Do you mean when you initially take off?
I find immediately after takeoff it will go to about 5 feet up and maybe a little to one side but once the vps locks on, it hovers steady.

My rule is if the aircraft is flying o.k. don't do any upgrades unless it is clearly stated that the upgrade is to fix a known problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv