Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

DroneVR App adds support for the Tello (beta)

DroneVR

Reaction score
Website
dronevr.appologics.com
Wanted to share that our DroneVR App now has beta support for the Tello !

DroneVR is an App for iOS and Android specialized in drone flying with VR-Headsets. DroneVR renders the live video from the drone in stereo with real-time lens distortion and chromatic aberation correction, so that it can be viewed with a virtual reality headset (Homido, Cardboard and the like) for the phone. Telemetry information such as speed altitude, battery state, etc. is displayed as overlay on the video.

Important: Tello support is currently limited to the Android version 1.8.2 of the app, which is published as beta version in Google Play. So to install this version you need to enable beta testing in Google Play.

Prerequisite for using DroneVR with the Tello drone is an external controller connected to the phone via bluetooth or OTG cable. In principle all controllers should work, as long as they pair with the phone and have sufficient inputs to control all functions of the drone (at least two joysticks + several buttons are needed). Mapping between controller buttons and drone functions can be assigned flexibly in the app. We've tested extensively with a Playstation 4 controller, which seems to be perfectly suited to fly the Tello.

Tello functionality is already pretty complete, e.g. takeoff/land, drone control across all axis, telemetry display, flips and photo capture directly to the phone's gallery.

Further details how to use DroneVR with Tello are available in the FAQ on our website.

We are happy about any feedback that helps us to further improve Tello support in DroneVR.

Note: DroneVR is a free download and also support for the Tello is offered for free. In addition to Tello the app supports many other DJI drones, which require in-app purchases to unlock.

Last edited:
I would like to try it out, but I am unable to joint the beta, there is no option and the link above sends me to the 1.8.1 version. I already have some beta apps successfully installed.

Just testet the Video Stream which works fine, tomorrow I'll connect a BT Controller for further tests. One thing is, you should make the settings accessible without a drone connected, this will things make a little bit easier.

Reactions: lieronet
Hi i just tested your app with a PG-9076 bt gamepad (not recognized by tello app).

It works fine, a pleasure.
My few remarks would be:
- it worked fine but was unable to detect the tello after the first connection.i had to deinstall/reinstall to have it working fine again

- hard to set parameters correctly
I had to tests whether +/- axis waswasfor good for all joysticks to be sure it worked

- i can set a button to be set to take photos but idk how to start video recording

- don't understand the meaning of P an D near the battery in the HUD (probably P for power percentage but D.....)

- your app allows to take off even showing a D7% - P27% battery ( which looks very low). I don't know if it is good or not for the battery but it s more fun for me

In the end.
It works fine and It's super fun and waaaayy better to use a real responsive gamepad.

Appart from my gamepad issue, i dont get what your app gives that tello app doesnt. Are you planning to deliver new or better features ?

Last edited:
Boy what a ride!

Flew few batteries this morning with this app. Setting up is a breeze, choose which HUD parameters you want to display, video quality, controls and lets fly.

-The app is responsive, no hanging, lagging or otherwise, and the experience is very dependent on the headset you choose. The wider FOV makes the picture a little smaller but better.
This is why: when flying with the stock tello app you can occasionally see some compression artifacts (look the attached picture under the trees), when flying with headset you can see them even when 4MBps quality with extender and wired gamepad. Its more noticeable over grass and small FOV headset, but that is not the issue of the app.
- Even though I set the quality to 4Mbps the HUD view shows only 1,5 is that correct?

-When taking a picture it takes it immediately but after 5-10 seconds a green notification text comes it was saved (the transfer from the tello to the phone takes the same time in stock tello app).
The pictures are saved in high quality (each about 1-1.5 MB)
-the only downside here they are saved dirctly in the PICTURE folder not the TelloPhoto where I would prefer it.

-No way to switch to sport mode, but to be honest in that mode I would lost the horizon and all I would see would be the ground, plus this is not a 5,8Ghz analog fpv, this is still wifi, so better avoid speed in FPV only.

- The fpv view is not stabilized, which again I prefer, so I can see the roll, pitch etc, this is about the experience not youtube material.

- I can at least see the Tello battery percentage!!! and no anoying VPS or wind notifications, no forced landing so far. (D means Drone battery, P means Phone battery which is handy too! )

So overall I flew some fpv tiny whoops and my old Bebop, but this is unique, I can fly under the trees, squeeze where bebop could not and enjoy even some longer distance fpv without disturbing people . (they don't fear the Tello now, but the weirdo with the cyber headset thingy)
-The app alone is great just for gamepad flying without split screen/headset view.

Great job!

Attachments

• 20180722_084027.jpg
    20180722_084027.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20180722_085222.jpg
    IMG_20180722_085222.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20180722-083713_DroneVR+.png
    Screenshot_20180722-083713_DroneVR+.png
    930.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20180722-084933_DroneVR+.png
    Screenshot_20180722-084933_DroneVR+.png
    850.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20180722-085011_DroneVR+.png
    Screenshot_20180722-085011_DroneVR+.png
    999.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20180722-085715_DroneVR+.png
    Screenshot_20180722-085715_DroneVR+.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Sadly I've to stop testing because of extreme Video lagging. Also the positioning system failed to work so the tello was uncontrollable.
My setting:
- Huawei P9
- Xbox One controller connected via bluetooth

just realized one missing killer feature! The old bebop app used to have it.
Add a gamepad button to switch between Tello camera and phone camera! There were sitations when I heard steps around me so I rushed back with my Tello to look at me if not in danger :D

Reactions: Tyrgen
Just testet the Video Stream which works fine, tomorrow I'll connect a BT Controller for further tests. One thing is, you should make the settings accessible without a drone connected, this will things make a little bit easier.
Thanks. You can access the settings already without a connected drone. Just select the drone type, hit connect and then demo. This opens the FPV view playing a stock video and you can adjust the settings. But we'll look to make this a bit more obvious.

just realized one missing killer feature! The old bebop app used to have it.
Add a gamepad button to switch between Tello camera and phone camera! There were sitations when I heard steps around me so I rushed back with my Tello to look at me if not in danger :D
Thanks, indeed we plan to add this soon. The iOS version of DroneVR has this feature already.

Reactions: lieronet
New day, new test, I've switched from BT connected Xbox One Controller to a simple, wired PS4 controller connected via otg... And yeah, it worked so I've had my first FPV flight ever. With this configuration video lagging was not noticeable

Hi DroneVR !

Excelent App!
Really enjoy flying with USB Joystick/Gamepad
Next step, will buy some VR stuff

But having a couple problems:
- Can´t program any of the buttons of the game pad.
When trying to set the camera button, get attached screen:
2018-07-25 20.41.50.jpg

So I can´t take photos, and that is key for me.

- Can´t program Takeoff/Land button either.
Fortunately, DJI standard method, pushing down and inside the sticks, ir starts!

Many thanks for your suggestions.
Regards
Gabriel

Not yet tested against it, but if it can be paired with the phone via BT it should work. Its possible to flexibly map controller functions to drone functions in the app to adjust to different controllers.

Hi there! Any news about iOS support for Tello? Will it be free as well?

Is there an iOS beta, btw?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
Why your app needs autorisation for phone call please ? :unsure:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv