Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Eureka! I've nearly mastered flying with the virtual joysticks ...

daisy-girl

Reaction score
... and it cost only 7 crashes, plus one lost propeller, to achieve that state of being. The ceiling of the room also took quite a beating -- by which I mean quite a shaving. :giggle:

My scholar who has nearly finished her MBA desperastely wants a Mavic Pro.

I will first buy her a Tello to practice with, using her iPhone 6S Plus. If she can master the Tello's virtual joysticks, she will likely be very comfortable with the far more precise sticks on the MP.

EDIT: 2018 0328@1700: Note that I wrote "nearly mastered" -- please see my recent post re $99 worth of accessories for Part 2 of the story.

Last edited:
... and it cost only 7 crashes, plus one lost propeller, to achieve that state of being. The ceiling of the room also took quite a beating -- by which I mean quite a shaving. :giggle:

I will first buy her a Tello to practice with, using her iPhone 6S Plus. If she can master the Tello's virtual joysticks, she will likely be very comfortable with the far more precise sticks on the MP.
That’s great news! I’ve been struggling with the virtual joysticks, mostly due to poor hand-eye coordination and lack of feedback from them. I’m getting better little-by-little and learning that body English and vocalizations don’t seem to have any effect of flying accuracy. Flying in the house is definitely more challenging than flying a Mavic Pro outside.?

That’s great news! I’ve been struggling with the virtual joysticks, mostly due to poor hand-eye coordination and lack of feedback from them. I’m getting better little-by-little and learning that body English and vocalizations don’t seem to have any effect of flying accuracy. Flying in the house is definitely more challenging than flying a Mavic Pro outside.?
I've tried body language and vocalizations in french and it doesn't work neither :LOL:

I fly mine with my Mini 4 and I like how the virtual sticks follow your fingers depending on where you tap.
This is good for the ones that are busy watching the drone rather than flying it FPV.

I tried my iPad Mini 4 before my android Smart Phone. Problem is, I have iTunes installed on my Win7 Home Premium desktop, so I can't mount the iPad as a HDD; I need to access its files via iTunes, which is a PITA. The android, on the other hand, is easily accessible from the desktop as a newly mounted HDD.

The iPad does mount on the desktop of my Win7 Professional laptop, but I'm sticking with the android phone because, like Tello, it's convenitnet to keep with me all the time, including two extra batteries in their cradles (it's an LG V10).

EDIT: 2018 0328@1700: Note that I wrote "nearly mastered" -- please see my recent post re $99 worth of accessories for Part 2 of the story.
Absolutely yes!!! If one can fly the Tello with those quirky virtual joysticks, flying a Mavic would be a breeze! I have a Mavic, but a little inexperienced in flying it. Enter the Tello. I'd rather practice with a $99 drone and crash it then crashing a $1k drone.

Reactions: dave and WEOTN

Also, if you want to practice the Tello indoors and want somewhat of a simulated outdoor weather environment, wait for you heat or air conditioning to come on. You'll experience turbulence anywhere near the registers in the room(s) that you're flying in. Depending on your HVAC system, you'll experience somewhere around 10+ mph 'winds'.

I also had the GameVice, but it's too big to keep with the Tello all the time, so I returned it after deciding that I would force myself to become comfortable with the virtual joy sticks on my LG V10. I'm happy to report that I'm quite good at it now. :cool:
You must have an iPhone, because Gamevise doesn't work with our 'lowly' Android devises. But like you, I'm starting to get pretty good at the virtual joysticks. But have you noticed when, say, pitching forward, the directional indicator in the app will show a pitch with slight roll left or right (as with other directional commands)? A bit annoying.

Absolutely yes!!! If one can fly the Tello with those quirky virtual joysticks, flying a Mavic would be a breeze! I have a Mavic, but a little inexperienced in flying it. Enter the Tello. I'd rather practice with a $99 drone and crash it then crashing a $1k drone.
Where's the fun in that? Hey, go big or go home! It's only money. - (insert other inappropriate smart mouth comments here) :p

Reactions: Xtian and Tom 19941
You must have an iPhone, because Gamevise doesn't work with our 'lowly' Android devises. But like you, I'm starting to get pretty good at the virtual joysticks. But have you noticed when, say, pitching forward, the directional indicator in the app will show a pitch with slight roll left or right (as with other directional commands)? A bit annoying.

Have you calibrated both the IMU and the Center of Gravity?

But have you noticed when, say, pitching forward, the directional indicator in the app will show a pitch with slight roll left or right (as with other directional commands)? A bit annoying.

I definitely notice this. But at least in my case it is caused by me not sliding my thumb perfectly straight up for, say, going forward using right stick. I wish there was a little more leeway before being slightly off center has an effect. When I fly the Tello I usually don’t want to mix both directions on the right stick: I either want to go forward/backward or left/right— not both at the same time. So I would prefer a setting that understands that if I push up and slightly left on the right stick, I really only want to go forward and not forward and slightly to the left.

Mike

Reactions: Tom 19941
Virtual sticks are challenging. I've crashed about 4 times. I have a lot of features (posts, stair railing, etc.) in my renovated domicile and a pup that won't let me fly less than 5' above the floors. (My pup doesn't care about the drone otherwise)

Suppose I'll get better with time, however, a physical stick with feedback would be excellent!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv