Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

First impressions

radioguy

Reaction score
I finally got around to getting my new Tello up in the air, and thought I'd share some first impressions of the experience.

First, I'm no stranger to drones..I bought the Phantom 1 back in 2013, and have been upgrading ever since. I now have a P3 and P4Pro + in the stable, as well as some smaller "hobby" drones (one of the Tiny Whoops-the Inductrix FPV+) as well as a Conex Falcore.

Given the small size of the Tello, I naturally compared it to the Inductrix. First, even though the Tello doesn't have GPS or a compass, it does a phenomenal job of keeping its altitude where you leave it making it truly a breeze to fly indoors. The Inductrix is all over the place, which puts a lot of pressure on the pilot-not necessarily a bad thing, but different. The Tello app works great, and the GameSir controller paired up and worked out of the box. No issues at all. Very happy with that. Next step is to take it over to my local hobby shop and use their indoor track to see how it does with some more aggressive flying.

I do see instances of video lag, and I'll probably go ahead and get the wifi repeater that many in this group mention. I have a set of goggles for my iPhone 6+, and the phone fits, so perhaps I'll get a chance to use it and the controller. I wish there was a way to use my 5.8 ghz video goggles, but I guess that's a project for another day. In summation, so far, so good. For $100.00, it's a great little drone.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

After doing some more flying, a few more observations...
Using the GameSir leaves something be desired. Compared to a DJI controller, or another commercial controller (like the Spectrum DX6) there's a lot of lag to the GameSir system. I find myself having to overcorrect on flight commands. I'm also seeing lag in my video (which has been pointed out in other posts) which is due to having to use 2.4 ghz for both control and video. I understand that there are those that have had success with the wifi repeaters (the Xamoi unit seems to be very popular). Coming from using 2.4 control/5.8 video on my other drones, this takes some getting used to.

However, I love the stability of the Tello. Unlike the Inductrix FPV+, the Tello is rock solid. It hovers in place and doesn't move-a major problem with the Inductrix. And that's a good thing. Now, all someone would have to do is to come up with a small drone that's a cross between the Inductrix and the Tello. Use the 2.4/5.8 frequencies and Tello's brains. Then you'd have a killer drone!

What model controller do you use - lag time?
I finally got around to getting my new Tello up in the air, and thought I'd share some first impressions of the experience.

First, I'm no stranger to drones..I bought the Phantom 1 back in 2013, and have been upgrading ever since. I now have a P3 and P4Pro + in the stable, as well as some smaller "hobby" drones (one of the Tiny Whoops-the Inductrix FPV+) as well as a Conex Falcore.

Given the small size of the Tello, I naturally compared it to the Inductrix. First, even though the Tello doesn't have GPS or a compass, it does a phenomenal job of keeping its altitude where you leave it making it truly a breeze to fly indoors. The Inductrix is all over the place, which puts a lot of pressure on the pilot-not necessarily a bad thing, but different. The Tello app works great, and the GameSir controller paired up and worked out of the box. No issues at all. Very happy with that. Next step is to take it over to my local hobby shop and use their indoor track to see how it does with some more aggressive flying.

I do see instances of video lag, and I'll probably go ahead and get the wifi repeater that many in this group mention. I have a set of goggles for my iPhone 6+, and the phone fits, so perhaps I'll get a chance to use it and the controller. I wish there was a way to use my 5.8 ghz video goggles, but I guess that's a project for another day. In summation, so far, so good. For $100.00, it's a great little drone.

Thx for the info about the t1d controller!

The Xiaomi repeater makes all the difference. Also the video is much better if you use the Atello pilot app. Well worth the 5 bucks I paid. Was out 1200ft. with stable video yesterday :) Works flawlessly.

I make sure to use airplane mode and do not disturb. I cycle airplane mode whenever I have controller issues and it seems to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chipmun3
IMHO, the Xiaomi 2 repeater is unusable for FPV or much else with the Tello. @Chipmun3 If you get one, I'd love to hear your experience with it.

The Xiaomi repeater makes all the difference. Also the video is much better if you use the Atello pilot app. Well worth the 5 bucks I paid. Was out 1200ft. with stable video yesterday :) Works flawlessly.

I make sure to use airplane mode and do not disturb. I cycle airplane mode whenever I have controller issues and it seems to fix it.
What phone are you using and where did you download the Atello pilot app? I've been trying the Apple Store and it does not exist there.

What phone are you using and where did you download the Atello pilot app? I've been trying the Apple Store and it does not exist there.
Yes, Android only I guess. I use a old Note 3.The new APP, TelloFPV, is also only for Android. Maybe you could get a cheap old Android for flying? :)

Yes, Android only I guess. I use a old Note 3.The new APP, TelloFPV, is also only for Android. Maybe you could get a cheap old Android for flying? :)

That is what I do as well: A used Samsung S4 runs about 30-40 Euros here and has a decent screen with 440 PPI (important for future use with VR goggles). Using a dedicated phone for flying has a couple of adventages:
No other apps getting in the way. Less incompatibilities with all the junk we have on our main phones. No background apps eating CPU or network bandwith. Last but not least: No inflight calls !

Reactions: Chipmun3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv