Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Flying over canyon or gorge

ronoeh

Reaction score
I just purchased a Ryze Tello and so far I love it. I live in an area with lots of gorges and canyons and I would like to fly over to get some video. Is it safe to fly over a canyon or gorge? Any tips or tricks??

I bought my Tello last November and have been reading on this forum almost daily ever since.

From what I've read, if I were you, I would not risk it. I certainly wouldn't risk my brand new toy.

Tello uses a downward-facing monochrome camera as one of the main sensors for orientation. If it can't see the ground or, for instance, is flown over trees, water, or other moving objects, it gets confused. Once that happens it's at the mercy of the wind and many times is beyond your control.

Just enjoy it for what it is - a fantastic little backyard or inside flyer. It's uncanny how well it does what it was designed to do.

Good luck

Reactions: Kozzyt and ChrisWu
BTW, if you use an Android device to fly and want to increase your Tello enjoyment 10x... check out the app Tello FPV on the Google Play Store... there's a demo to see if it works well with your phone and if you like it or not - you will. Best $5 I've ever spent on anything drone related.

There's a very long running thread about the app on this forum... you can skip about the first 2400 posts and still be caught up.

Last edited:
lots of gorges and canyons and I would like to fly over to get some video.

Don't do that.
Tello has only a small range about 100m. Except you take a Wifi range extender. But that would not be enough for your intention.
Also VPS will fail. That works only up to 30m.
And the Tello has a maximum speed of 30 km/h. That meens, if you have a wind with a speed of 30 km/h you only can try to hover. No chance to fly, e.g. to come home. And when the wind speed is above 30 km/h the Tello follows the wind. And you will lose her. In the canyons you often have a strong wind.

What you want is really not a use case for the Tello!

I think you can try this, but only in almost winless conditions, and with xiaomi wifi repeater. If you see any type of losing control - go home asap. And make sure that in case of emergency landing tello won't stuck on a tree or something. So, be prepared and you probably would make awesome footage =)

This is very risky.
If your drones stars drifting you will loose control completely. No return homme possible. And There are so many reasons for this drones... week wifi signal, visual positioning failing...Wind.
Good luck

Reactions: umanbean
Don't do that.
Tello has only a small range about 100m. Except you take a Wifi range extender. But that would not be enough for your intention.
Also VPS will fail. That works only up to 30m.
And the Tello has a maximum speed of 30 km/h. That meens, if you have a wind with a speed of 30 km/h you only can try to hover. No chance to fly, e.g. to come home. And when the wind speed is above 30 km/h the Tello follows the wind. And you will lose her. In the canyons you often have a strong wind.

Agreed! But sometimes you just can't stop yourself to try, right. You can't just leave that beautiful view alone, so just prepare yourself for the risks.

My suggestions kits are Xiaomi wifi repeater 2 for greatly extending your range, and Tello FPV app, for better sportmode and RETURN HOME button, just in case VPS failed.

I tried took some risks, fly above trees, above water, around small pond, and that VPS failed always happened. So just press home button and it will fly back towards your direction. Good luck then.

I got in contact with RyzeTech support and they advised Tello could fly over a gorge but it is very risky due to the VPS system, so it is not recommended to do it unless you are very sure you can get it back

If the wind is low enough try flying it from an upstairs bedroom straight out of an open window?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv