Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Flying over water

4x4

Reaction score
Hi has anybody had much experience with flying there tello over water ?

4x4

Reaction score
Is it safe to take a short flight from the shore or a boat in no wind over the water ?

volate!lo

Reaction score
Is it safe to take a short flight from the shore or a boat in no wind over the water ?
no.
I tried it and it was a near disaster. At least using the stock app, as it wanted to autoland all the time because the VPS shuts off over water. It was a constant fight to get the drone back onboard so no photos or video were made. I was happy to have Tello back onboard.

There is two things you can try. First is to put some tape over the downfacing pinhole camera. VPS will be off but short indoor test flights did not trigger the autoland. Or maybe they have updated the firmware to no longer autoland on VPS lost? Need to try a bit more.

Second, if you are a TelloFpv user: I just added an option that cancels any landing if you use the throttle. Maybe I will change that to cancel any autolanding that I can get hold off. That feature is not yet release, will go into the next release.

What seems to work is flying over shallow, totally flat (0.0kn wind) and crystal clear water as Tello seems to use the seabed then. But I bet distance & position calculation will be wrong so RTH won't work well

Ansia

Reaction score
You should be allright as long as you don't stop to hover. It will not hold position and some have reported that it starts to autoland. I suggest you practice at the beach/lake before taking it out on a boat.

4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies it gives me some options to try.

Guorium

Reaction score
no.
I tried it and it was a near disaster. At least using the stock app, as it wanted to autoland all the time because the VPS shuts off over water. It was a constant fight to get the drone back onboard so no photos or video were made. I was happy to have Tello back onboard.

There is two things you can try. First is to put some tape over the downfacing pinhole camera. VPS will be off but short indoor test flights did not trigger the autoland. Or maybe they have updated the firmware to no longer autoland on VPS lost? Need to try a bit more.

Second, if you are a TelloFpv user: I just added an option that cancels any landing if you use the throttle. Maybe I will change that to cancel any autolanding that I can get hold off. That feature is not yet release, will go into the next release.

What seems to work is flying over shallow, totally flat (0.0kn wind) and crystal clear water as Tello seems to use the seabed then. But I bet distance & position calculation will be wrong so RTH won't work well
Tello does not have RTH.

Guorium

Reaction score
volate!lo mentioned the telloFPV app (which he created) and it has RTH feature
the stock tello app does not.
Interesting. It must be based on telemetries. I wound't depend on it for tello has no gps.

Louis08

Reaction score
Interesting. It must be based on telemetries. I wound't depend on it for tello has no gps.
Somewhere he confirmed something like this.
But IMHO under normal conditions even the most basic RTH is better than none - it will get the drone at least closer to you, even if it misses the takeoff point by a few meters.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pebdiver