Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

I have a Tello, but looking for something more. Would you buy a Q500 from eBay?

I had a lot of fun with the Tello but the lack of on-board SD storage isn't working for me. The video steam is quite nice actually, and not only for the cost of the Tello. Still images very nice too, esp. at that price. But over the weeks I've been using it, it's just not working quite right. Been flying it with the Hawkeye Micro Cam (ver. 1, 14 gram) attached to it, and although it's the right idea (form factor, weight, FOV), the video quality isn't there at all(!), and battery life is only half or one third of advertised. Also, sometimes the video stream freezes (Hawkeye Micro Cam 1, that is).

So, for me it's the new re-released C-Fly Dream (2019).

248 gram... 'nuff said... :)

It has a better camera than the JJR/C X9 Heron (there is some side-by-side video on YouTube, and the differences are very noticeable). Unfortunately, its camera frame rate must be low, so maybe an ND filter may help with some of the jello on bright sunny days. Or maybe a circular polarizer might be interesting too if one exists that small. Richer colors in the sky and taking about 1 LV (light value) of light (as in one f-stop slower). It's not perfect, the low rate is it's Achilles heel. But the GPS feature is the real gem here (also has a simple VPS). And the camera can be moved up and down remotely... Cheap enough where a loss isn't that dramatic (compared to a Mavic Air, etc).

At about $209, cost is not bad at all. Comes with the new controller now (same as the JJR/C) and a carrier case. The old C-Fly Dream is still out there... Close to $300, so make sure to get the new one (found on Alibaba only at the moment).

The Tello is a ton of fun! No two ways about that. But... it's limited.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

I had a lot of fun with the Tello but the lack of on-board SD storage isn't working for me. The video steam is quite nice actually, and not only for the cost of the Tello. Still images very nice too, esp. at that price. But over the weeks I've been using it, it's just not working quite right. Been flying it with the Hawkeye Micro Cam (ver. 1, 14 gram) attached to it, and although it's the right idea (form factor, weight, FOV), the video quality isn't there at all(!), and battery life is only half or one third of advertised. Also, sometimes the video stream freezes (Hawkeye Micro Cam 1, that is).

So, for me it's the new re-released C-Fly Dream (2019).

248 gram... 'nuff said... :)

It has a better camera than the JJR/C X9 Heron (there is some side-by-side video on YouTube, and the differences are very noticeable). Unfortunately, its camera frame rate must be low, so maybe an ND filter may help with some of the jello on bright sunny days. Or maybe a circular polarizer might be interesting too if one exists that small. Richer colors in the sky and taking about 1 LV (light value) of light (as in one f-stop slower). It's not perfect, the low rate is it's Achilles heel. But the GPS feature is the real gem here (also has a simple VPS). And the camera can be moved up and down remotely... Cheap enough where a loss isn't that dramatic (compared to a Mavic Air, etc).

At about $209, cost is not bad at all. Comes with the new controller now (same as the JJR/C) and a carrier case. The old C-Fly Dream is still out there... Close to $300, so make sure to get the new one (found on Alibaba only at the moment).

The Tello is a ton of fun! No two ways about that. But... it's limited.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
What is the difference between the old and new Dream?

Edit: This is the only one at Alibaba and it's at $250

US $253.0 |C FLY Dream 5G Altitude Hold Drone GPS Optical Flow Positioning Follow Me RC Quadcopter with 720P HD Camera One Key Return-in Camera Drones from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This one is at Banggood. Doesn't have the same features, but around the same price.

US$269.99 10% C-Fly DREAM GPS WIFI FPV With 2-Axis Gimbal 1080P HD Camera Optical Flow RC Drone Quadcotper RTF RC Toys & Hobbies from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com

Still don't see any difference.

Edit 2: I see that they included a bigger battery and it can fly farther. Still don't see the justification on buying this over the X9 Heron.

Edit 3: So the new Dream doesn't have a 2 axis gimbal?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the links will persist or if they might be stripped out since they point to commercial vendors; but here's a try:

Alibaba link (was provided in one of the YouTube channels):
US $208.39 9% OFF|CFLY Dream GPS Drone RC Quacopter 1080P HD Camera 5G wifi FPV Long Distance Transmission Follow me mode Circle flying -in RC Helicopters from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

C-Fly Dream 248 gram take-off weight... no registration needed (USA)... that alone is plenty of "difference" --but maybe to me only.
JJR/C X9 Heron: 257 gram, registration required... It's over 0.55 ounces, there's no two ways about it unless you modify it and are prepared to 'defend' it, should it come to it... I prefer a clean spec sheet in that respect and be done with it.

The C-Fly Dream (new and old) does have a different camera (same gimbals, but different sensor, apparently), than the X9 Heron, look on YouTube, such as this:
The X9 Heron camera seems to run a higher contrast and more saturated colors (perhaps) and that may fool you in not noticing the somewhat washed out areas (esp. corner sharpness is much poorer with the X9 camera). Overall, the X9 camera doesn't have the detail, --look closely.

Both cameras seem too slow (fps). I couldn't find any published data on the camera other than that it is 1080p (but it must be less than 30fps). To get better video (and no GPS no-fly) you'd need to go decidedly bigger, such as my next upgrade, probably the Hubsan Zino (now that it has gone through a slew of firmware upgrades and is finally ready for actual use and prices are already adjusting some.)

Apparently the X9 has an older GPS chip. However, looks like the X9 Heron might also be in "version 2" perhaps, as the newer videos do not mention the long waiting times to connect (i.e. long initial time to download GPS almanac after major geographic location difference or long time between uses, indicative of ancient SiRF II chips or whatever).

There are almost daily new videos now popping up on YouTube: c-fly dream 2019 - YouTube

There might other misc. differences... no idea.

If if registration versus not registration, new vs old GPS (potentially), better vs. weaker camera are all non-issues, then no, the extra $50 aren't worth it. The sub-0.55 oz (sub-249.5 gram) and cleaner camera are plenty worth it for me personally... the $209 is also a price range where a total loss isn't such a big deal (vs. Mantis Q class drones, or above).

Then there's the spare part situation which is great, esp. compared to the meager offerings on the DJI side of things. The parts between the two vendors (JJR/C, C-Fly) are interchangeable, including batteries (and probably from the same source anyway).

I don't think one is of "better quality" over the other. Just a few different components that might make it worth the extra money to some. Either way, both seem to be a lot of fun to fly outside (forget inside, use the Tello for that.) But the video footage isn't perfect, so keep expectations 'real', I'd say.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia
I'm not sure if the links will persist or if they might be stripped out since they point to commercial vendors; but here's a try:

Alibaba link (was provided in one of the YouTube channels):
US $208.39 9% OFF|CFLY Dream GPS Drone RC Quacopter 1080P HD Camera 5G wifi FPV Long Distance Transmission Follow me mode Circle flying -in RC Helicopters from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

C-Fly Dream 248 gram take-off weight... no registration needed (USA)... that alone is plenty of "difference" --but maybe to me only.
JJR/C X9 Heron: 257 gram, registration required... It's over 0.55 ounces, there's no two ways about it unless you modify it and are prepared to 'defend' it, should it come to it... I prefer a clean spec sheet in that respect and be done with it.

The C-Fly Dream (new and old) does have a different camera (same gimbals, but different sensor, apparently), than the X9 Heron, look on YouTube, such as this:
The X9 Heron camera seems to run a higher contrast and more saturated colors (perhaps) and that may fool you in not noticing the somewhat washed out areas (esp. corner sharpness is much poorer with the X9 camera). Overall, the X9 camera doesn't have the detail, --look closely.

Both cameras seem too slow (fps). I couldn't find any published data on the camera other than that it is 1080p (but it must be less than 30fps). To get better video (and no GPS no-fly) you'd need to go decidedly bigger, such as my next upgrade, probably the Hubsan Zino (now that it has gone through a slew of firmware upgrades and is finally ready for actual use and prices are already adjusting some.)

Apparently the X9 has an older GPS chip. However, looks like the X9 Heron might also be in "version 2" perhaps, as the newer videos do not mention the long waiting time to connect (i.e. long initial time to download GPS almanac after major geographic location difference or long time between uses, indicative of ancient SiRF II chips or whatever).

There are almost daily new videos now popping up on YouTube: c-fly dream 2019 - YouTube

There might other misc. differences... no idea.

If if registration versus not registration, new vs old GPS (potentially), better vs. weaker camera are all non-issues, then no, the extra $50 aren't worth it. The sub-0.55 oz (sub-249.5 gram) and cleaner camera are plenty worth it for me personally... the $209 is also a price range where a total loss isn't such a big deal (vs. Mantis Q class drones, or above).

Then there's the spare part situation which is great, esp. compared to the meager offerings on the DJI side of things. The parts between the two vendors (JJR/C, C-Fly) are interchangeable, including batteries (and probably from the same source anyway).

I don't think one is of "better quality" over the other. Just a few different components that might make it worth the extra money to some. Either way, both seem to be a lot of fun to fly outside (forget inside, use the Tello for that.) But the video footage isn't perfect, so keep expectations 'real', I'd say.

Good luck.
It seems that you are more knowledgeable than me in the Dream. I am considering on getting on of these to keep it in the car for quick flying at work. The X9 Heron has been reviewed possitively many times (except the gps issues) and at $150 is a bargain. I don't mind the registration, all my drones, but the Tello are registered. Perhaps you can share a bit more light on what are the differences between old and new Dream?

Also I got this from another Dream v2019 link from youtube.

(Since Dream is not cheap, US$200 compared to JJRC X9 Heron US$150. I would like to point out one issue here: C-Fly Dream charger can only charge the battery to 12.75v. JJRC X9's charger can charge the battery to 13.05v; the difference is 0.30v, which is significant. The difference shaves off 1 to 2 minutes of flight time from the Dream. I got average 13 minutes flight time from JJRC X9.)

So in theory, the battery from the X9 Heron should last longer on a Dream.

Your situation is the same as mine, other than I am a slow learner when it comes to co-ordination. Being stuck in a cold Canadian winter, I decided instead to get my drone pilot certificate (which I got last week - hurray). Secondly, I have coming Tuesday a Jumper T8SG Plus controller. It will fly most of the drones out there, except DJI (which is like Apple - an enclosed eco system). For the rest of the winter, I will practice with a $5 simulator program on my desktop. I may even be able to fly my Tello with it in the house, using another app. So hopefully come spring, I will be fairly used to using a controller. and will buy my "next" drone. Hopefully I will not have to re-learn to operate an new controller each time I guy a new drone. For most people this would not be a chore, but for me it would be.

A note on the C Fly Dream - the camera sensor is even smaller than the Tello. That was the deal breaker for me. Any new drone I buy must have a larger sensor than what I already have.

A note on the C Fly Dream - the camera sensor is even smaller than the Tello. That was the deal breaker for me. Any new drone I buy must have a larger sensor than what I already have.
What sensor does the Tello have?

My Autel Evo has a 2.3 sensor and it looks as good as the 1" sensor on my phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv