Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Issues with Tello EDU + S20 5G FE Android 11

SabinSnorlax

Reaction score
Dear all,

I recently bought a Tello EDU drone and have been trying to pair it with my Samsung S20 5G FE running Android 11.
I already noted that the standard Tello app no longer works under Android 11.
So I tried the Tello EDU app. I was able to connect to the drone's WiFi and everything showed up as "OK" in the app.
But when I tried to send commands, regardless whether it was in Joystick or in Blocks mode, nothing happened.
In Blocks for example I simply received an "Error" message in the command prompt after trying to takeoff.

Is this related to the S20 or to Android 11 or to both?
Are there any alternatives I can try?
As a last resort, would it be an option to dig up my old OnePlus 3 and try it instead?

Cheers!

most likeöly related to your particular model of the S20 FE. Some work, some don't

try the free tellofpv demo. This will confirm if your phone is causing the troubles. You should be able to fly, but no video feed at all.

I thought I had nailed it to verizon branded models but now I found it must be something else. I have no clue what is causing this, something is broken with some S20.

Oneplus 3 should be OK, at least for TelloFpv

Reactions: SabinSnorlax
After a few more attempts I now think the problem is with the drone itself.

I had already tried TelloFpv and I am not able to connect.
I constantly get a message of "Connecting to TelloFpv #..." with the number after the # cycling through final IP address numbers except the one assigned to the phone.
In this case the phone is #3, so the numbers go through 2, 4, 5, 6, 7.

I also tried connecting to the drone via laptop and running some Python code to control it.
As soon as I run the code the fast yellow blinking switches to slow green blinking, as if it is connected and the video positioning system is available.
But the takeoff and land commands don't do anything...
Which is basically the same thing I see in the Tello EDU app, where I press the takeoff icon and nothing happens.

So it seems as though something in the drone is broken and the commands are not properly executed...
I guess I'll go ahead and contact Ryze about this, though any further advice is of course much appreciated!

What you tried wasn't TelloFpv, that was "TelloFpv Copilot". Try again with "TelloFpv Demo"

You can't take off on a brand new drone without activating it first. Only the Ryze app and TelloFpv (demo) can do this. Once connected with TelloFpv the drone is activated and can be used with other apps.

Yep, that was the issue in the end, the drone was not activated...
I now managed to connect on my old OnePlus 3 and activate the drone.

Reactions: volate!lo
Dear @volate!lo
I note that unfortunately only your Copilot app is shown as compatible in the app store, hence my confusion.
Are there any plans to make the other apps available for the S20 / Android 11?

The S20 FE is the problem.
No video data arrives at the app, seems they broke the networking somehow. Nothing I can fix.

I just forgot to mark the Copilot app as incompatible. Will do that now.

I also just enabled the S20 FE for the TelloFpv Demo app so we can have alittle test run. Should be available in a few hours. Please try and report back if you get some video feed.

I still don't understand which S20 FE are affected and why. I initially thought it was the verizon modification, but maybe not...

Many thanks for the update, I will take a look later and will report back!
I've been playing around with various CV / drone control programs and it's been good fun.
But for general use I'd prefer a more robust solution, which is why I'm interested in TelloFpv and TelloMe.

So at least one app on the S20 is working OK including video?
If that is the case TelloFpv / TelloMe should work, too.

I'm happy to report I successfully download and installed Fpv Demo;
And I was then able to control my drone without any issues.
The video stream appeared immediately and the commands were executed well.
So perhaps it is an issue with S20 + Verizon after all.

Thanks for the feedback.
So I'm left with no idea what is causing these troubles with some S20 FE...

I will enable the S20 for all apps and will just have to deal with these issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv