Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Life expectancy of a Tello battery

Loup

Reaction score
If battery sits for a month or so without being used or charged, does it / can it kill it?

normally all LiPo batteries if not used for long periods, it is recommended to bring their voltage to 3.80 or 3.85 Volts per cell.
For battery storage, I modified a charger to handle three batteries simultaneously.

Attachments

• 20191027_181410.jpg
    20191027_181410.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: Loup
I think if you put it away flat, somewhere cold, for a few months you may increase your chance of problems. Partly charged in a house you’re all good! My RC car has monster Lipos, I often don’t use it for months without bother.

I have seen people who have left the batteries 100% full or completely dead for a long time and then complain that the battery inflates or struggles to charge with a much lower flight duration ... for this reason it is advisable to do so to guarantee a good quality.

Hello do you recommend a charger with voltage display? Or to simple drain the battery up to 60% before storing, will it be okay to store the tello battery this way??

I really wouldn’t worry about it, the batteries are fine being stored for months in almost any state. The genuine 3 battery charger from Ryze/DJI is also more than adequate. There is no point wasting time or money on anything else.

Just keep them away from extreme cold/heat during storage.

Folks, keep in mind that Tello uses LiIon batteries, not LiPo batteries. Not only do they have different voltage levels than LiPos but all storage recommendations known in the drone world are strictly about LiPo and nothing else. Its clear that one should not store a LiPo empty but i have never seen a final decision between storage at 100% vs 60% SOC (sure lots of discussions and arguing and rumors but not what I consider scientific evidence).

I haven't looked deeper into LiIon storage theories. I don't care - I just use them.

The only thing that is important: If you store a battery inside Tello it will drain quickly and be dead after just a few weeks.

Reactions: Flydrone
there is some confusion about this ... LiIon is listed on the batteries and Ryze confirms that they are LiPo e
many sellers sell them as LiPo. perhaps we create too many problems with conservation, but I think that for the rest, keeping the batteries in half is not bad.

Alexis C (Ryzerobotics)
Dec 9, 20:38 CST
Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks for reaching Ryze Support!

I am sending this response on behalf of my colleague, As we appreciate your inquiry and we'll be more than happy to assist, For clarification our battery is LITHIUM-POLYMER (Li-Po). as the earliest technology originated from LI-PO, and now the mainstream technology has developed into LI-ION, but people are accustomed to continue to call it LI-PO. The cell used now has a polymer material inside, so it can also be called LI-PO. as of the moment we do not have any update for changing the sticker to Li-Po, Though we hope that in the coming updates we will have a feedback in regards for the sticker.
Thank you for choosing Ryze!
Best Regards,
Alex
RYZE Customer Support

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv