Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

MicroSD Card for the Tello??

davemgood

Reaction score
In the word of Foghorn Leghorn: "There's a whole lot of Innovat' goin' on around here!"

I believe that the video we record from the Tello, via our RC (phone), can be better quality imagery, if the Tello had a tiny MicroSD card aboard the drone. Those of you who are mechanically inclined and technically adept, if you have the bandwidth, could you figure out a way to record video and pix directly on the aircraft? I would do it myself but I'm 65 years old and the resulting contraption would be too heavy and use electron tubes.

But, please give that some thought. Wouldn't that be neat? What a challenge!!

For future challenges, THE GIMBAL! (just kidding)

dAVE :)

There is just no space to fit a sd card inside the Tello's board.
I more skeptical about tello’s chip ability to record and transmit at the same time. Tello has the space in the skeleton that supports the top cover. All they need is putting a simcard style sdcard tray under the top cover and run a wire down to the mainboard. Media transfer can be enabled by firmware update to allow file retrieval through charging port without removing the top cover each time. It is very doable, again I think the botte neck is tello’s chip...

Of course it would improve video quality as you'd get a stable 4Mbps / 30fps without any frame jumps.
But it requires free IO ports, tiny soldering and a modified firmware which I have never seen done for Tello.

I would be much easier to just use a micro USB OTG stick in the port, which already has OTG and even FAT filesystem support built in. But again: You'd need a modified firmware or the magic word to initiate recording.

Reactions: Guorium
In the word of Foghorn Leghorn: "There's a whole lot of Innovat' goin' on around here!"

I believe that the video we record from the Tello, via our RC (phone), can be better quality imagery, if the Tello had a tiny MicroSD card aboard the drone. Those of you who are mechanically inclined and technically adept, if you have the bandwidth, could you figure out a way to record video and pix directly on the aircraft? I would do it myself but I'm 65 years old and the resulting contraption would be too heavy and use electron tubes.

But, please give that some thought. Wouldn't that be neat? What a challenge!!

For future challenges, THE GIMBAL! (just kidding)

dAVE :)
I am 78 almost and I can still lift a Tello. Jerome.

Reactions: davemgood
Of course it would improve video quality as you'd get a stable 4Mbps / 30fps without any frame jumps.
But it requires free IO ports, tiny soldering and a modified firmware which I have never seen done for Tello.

I would be much easier to just use a micro USB OTG stick in the port, which already has OTG and even FAT filesystem support built in. But again: You'd need a modified firmware or the magic word to initiate recording.

I just realized that maybe I wasn't clear: What the thread starter is asking for is impossible to achieve without collaboration from Ryze which they will never do.
All we can do is inquire for the next version "Tello 2" to have onboard storage or SD card.

Reactions: davemgood
I just realized that maybe I wasn't clear: What the thread starter is asking for is impossible to achieve without collaboration from Ryze which they will never do.
All we can do is inquire for the next version "Tello 2" to have onboard storage or SD card.
Just a 'what if' kind of question. I knew in theory that it would be possible, but - as volate!lo points out, there are some roadblocks. However, you never know if someone out there can hack a workaround. Plus, we can wish too.

I did see Drone 4.0 out there just yesterday. I'd love to see the Tello keep up.

Then, I also saw this:

The World's Smallest Quadcopter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078D7FB34/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EXdACb4CED5GW

Hmm... What if...

Reactions: Ansia
Just a 'what if' kind of question. I knew in theory that it would be possible, but - as volate!lo points out, there are some roadblocks. However, you never know if someone out there can hack a workaround. Plus, we can wish too.

I did see Drone 4.0 out there just yesterday. I'd love to see the Tello keep up.

Then, I also saw this:

The World's Smallest Quadcopter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078D7FB34/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EXdACb4CED5GW

Hmm... What if...
There is a guy in phantompilots forum that got one and he loves it. He talks more about that little drone, than his big drones.

I would like to see modified firmware with SD Card enabler. That would be fantastic!

Google a lot, read a lot, try what you find, ... nobody said its easy. But the challenges are similar for anyone working on this

I understand what are you saing. But I Googled a lot, I can't figure out because I'm not engenier nor developer. That's a problem.

I think right person is still don't have Tello to check and figure this out :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv