Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

My long range fpv tello kit

ph2t

Reaction score
So I am having a LOT of fun with this.

No wifi repeater! - Trying out a home made diversity antenna setup

Nice big field of view! - FPV camera in place of tello camera

No lag! - 5.8Ghz, filtered vtx to my fatsharks

Ansia props - great outdoor props that really cut through windy conditions

I'll try and get a video up later today. It is a combination of several mods I've worked on with this tello and I'm really happy when flying it. In sports mode it is a quite smooth experience. These props of Ansia's drain more on the motors but they handle the wind really well and you can hold a line in moderate winds. Really impressed with these props.

I'm flying in better range conditions because of the analog fpv camera and vtx setup with no frame drops and a FOV better suited to FPV flying. When I hit the limit of my range or go into a black spot (behind a building,etc) the reception on the goggles goes out first, the tello is still responding to wifi commands and if I loose wifi control it just hovers till I'm back in range.

The tello works really well for a small fpv racer with all the stability stuff, you can just enjoy a cruisy flight. There is no acro stuff obviously but hey, there are other micro quads for that!

Cheers,

ph2t.

Glad you had fun in your modding project! Yes it is true that there are a few micro drones out there with optical flow and fpv. A bit of an overkill for tello imo but if it was fun for you, what the heck do I know ay?

Reactions: umanbean
Thanks for posting..for those of us that would like to try something similar, can you post a parts list and where you got them? I especially like the idea of using a stand alone 5.8 ghz camera/tx combo since the lag (at least for me) on 2.4 is at times intolerable.

Very cool! That would be so nice but I couldn't do all that. I just want to be able to use my Samsung note 9 with a good VR headset that will allow an OTG cable connection from Gamesir T1s. If you have a recommendation for which VR headset would allow the OTG connection please let me know. Gotta love the little Tello.

What kind of range and flight times are you getting with all the mods? We got some mosquitoes in Georgia about that size, be careful someone doesn't swat it down, lol. But, it looks cool!

Reactions: Blacknigger69
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have now created a test video, here it is below, hope you all enjoy!

To answer the questions posted.

@TelloMikeK - Flight time is approx. 8.5 - 9 minutes. The vtx/camera and larger props both contribute to the reduction in flight time due to a greater electrical (vtx/cam) and mechanical (props) load from stock.

@Flyboy57 - I used google cardboard and a cheap no name VR classes with my iPhone. iPhone doesn't have the BT issues that android seems to have so I've never use the OTG cable, sorry.

@radioguy - Here's my post with the original cam/vtx mod, hope this helps. fpv cam and vtx mod using betafpv H01 vtx & cam . I got everything off ebay. :)

I have got a few part coming to push this further. A better camera and independent vtx, also a proper cloverleaf styled vtx antenna are on their way!

cheers,

ph2t.

Reactions: Joseba
What's the difference between flying with FPV glasses vs flying with an iPad 10.5" Pro screen? Do the glasses give a 3-dimensional view with peripheral vision or something? I have the google cardboard but never tried it, is it worth it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv