Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

My Tello’s first flight outside.

Ansia

Reaction score
Hello all,

Today I had to go to my beach house which is currently under construction, after it was destroyed by Hurricane María last year. So I decided that after flying for work purposes, to fly for fun. What better choice to fly for fun, than using my Tello for her maiden voyage outside. Excuse the crude photos. The area is still a bit rough and it will take a while until it reaches it’s former glory. I couldn’t fly for to long. The wind was doing 8-10 knots and picking up, so didn’t feel like crashing. :sneaky:

A5261199-50F8-466F-8A84-0F7EE19E3304.jpeg741ED3FC-8603-4B5B-B5E5-587B0D3083FB.jpeg966AE8FE-9D78-4460-8B94-4E6DCE2B3437.jpegA67CA795-B89B-4246-93E0-FEA62BFCB257.jpeg499CE718-829B-4449-A885-D87560D2B557.jpegB655B0FD-AA77-4157-BD0C-52BAC0AFBBE2.jpegBEE8EEB3-9C9B-4F95-B353-F7847BC6A217.jpeg4B73E2EB-65B4-4A6A-BC5D-87D945968C5E.jpeg

great shots did u do a video
Thanks. Sadly no. The wind was to strong and the tello kept tilting, so the video would have been really unstable. Also I had to place it on fast mode and videos turn out horriblr when flying in fast mode.

IMG_20181026_135835803.jpgIMG_20181026_135835803.jpgthis is my current setup. Barely 30 seconds off my flight time. Its a 25mW FPV camera taken out of a tiny whoop. It's crude but I am able to use my standalone screen to see in real-time. I don't have DVR recording on the monitor yet. It's old. If you could duplicate the same but with DVR you could pull some good shots from video that you take.

Reactions: Ansia
View attachment 1939View attachment 1939this is my current setup. Barely 30 seconds off my flight time. Its a 25mW FPV camera taken out of a tiny whoop. It's crude but I am able to use my standalone screen to see in real-time. I don't have DVR recording on the monitor yet. It's old. If you could duplicate the same but with DVR you could pull some good shots from video that you take.
Great invention. How do you see the extra screen? Did you disconnect the original camera?

good photos. Hope you get your beach house repaired soon.
regards
sfs-archery
Thanks man. Long story short, contractor I hired took the money and dissapeared halfway through the project. Now I have to finish it myself.

Now that I finally get home and I get to open these forums on my PC, I can see that your Tello has scars in it's propellers. :ROFLMAO: Don't worry, mine has them as well. It builds character and separates the real Tello flyers, from the rest!DJI_0015.JPGDJI_0010.JPGDJI_0011.JPGDJI_0012.JPG

I had such positive feedback from you guys, that I decided to post the pictures I took before the Tello ones of the house and area. Hope you like them. I know I know, they weren't taken by the Tello, but the day was beautiful and wanted to share it.

Reactions: Sasmlt
With a new set of props, a new WiFi repeater and a reinstall of some motor heatsinks I could achieve those shots of the beach ;P I have gotten some great high photos before, maybe one day I'll share them.

IMG_20180613_164604836.jpgIMG_20180613_164604836.jpgthis is or at least was until the other day how my motors were setup. I took an aluminum heatsink the skinny hair like heatsinks and cut each fin down into pieces and glued them to the motors. 8 fins total per motor. Now you may be thinking that my flight time would go down caused by added gram(s) (*never measured*) and just aerodynamic design causing more drag, like flying with prop quards vs not. But this is where your wrong sort of.

With these custom heatsinks on each motor, the in theory effect was the heat generated by the motor was pulled away by the wind forced across the fins from the prop. This on a hot humid day, kept my Tello up 1-2min longer! Because I was keeping the temp from motors lower, my voltage sag on battery was less noticable and my battery percentage dropped more evenly.

I couldn't find a image but I had tried to put LEDs on for the VPS camera to see better at night and some LEDs on front for WiFi fpv camera. This didn't work good. The IR light from the white LED added lights must of been to close to the wave length of the IR height sensor, because it messed with it if they were on. I even glued a led bar from a old computer tower logo backlight, a bright flood light but had no advantage effect on video quality at night.

The problem with night flying or flying in low lighted rooms where VPS is not stable, it's hard to add light aids to the Tello that help good enough and still keep weight down, we have to watch grams. A phantom you can watch ounces, and so on as you get bigger. Sorry for the run on but I figured I'd share some info.IMG_20180613_164604836.jpg

Reactions: Sasmlt
With a new set of props, a new WiFi repeater and a reinstall of some motor heatsinks I could achieve those shots of the beach ;P I have gotten some great high photos before, maybe one day I'll share them.
You forgot to include and no wind. :p

View attachment 1944View attachment 1944this is or at least was until the other day how my motors were setup. I took an aluminum heatsink the skinny hair like heatsinks and cut each fin down into pieces and glued them to the motors. 8 fins total per motor. Now you may be thinking that my flight time would go down caused by added gram(s) (*never measured*) and just aerodynamic design causing more drag, like flying with prop quards vs not. But this is where your wrong sort of.

With these custom heatsinks on each motor, the in theory effect was the heat generated by the motor was pulled away by the wind forced across the fins from the prop. This on a hot humid day, kept my Tello up 1-2min longer! Because I was keeping the temp from motors lower, my voltage sag on battery was less noticable and my battery percentage dropped more evenly.

I couldn't find a image but I had tried to put LEDs on for the VPS camera to see better at night and some LEDs on front for WiFi fpv camera. This didn't work good. The IR light from the white LED added lights must of been to close to the wave length of the IR height sensor, because it messed with it if they were on. I even glued a led bar from a old computer tower logo backlight, a bright flood light but had no advantage effect on video quality at night.

The problem with night flying or flying in low lighted rooms where VPS is not stable, it's hard to add light aids to the Tello that help good enough and still keep weight down, we have to watch grams. A phantom you can watch ounces, and so on as you get bigger. Sorry for the run on but I figured I'd share some info.View attachment 1944
That is interesting and useful information. What I fail to understand is. If you used glue, wouldn’t that prevent the heat from dissipating throughout the heatsink? It’s not like thermal paste. It was designed to transfer the heat. But hey, if it worked, then that is a great idea for those who like to fly multiple batteries and risk a burned motor. Last night I was reading into replacing the motors, just in case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv