Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

My Tello Battery Test

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
After flying my new Tello for a week or two, it seemed like the battery life was less than I was expecting given a 13 minute rating. I hadn’t timed any of the flights, so it was just a gut feeling. I have three official Tello batteries. The one that came with the drone has a mfg label as FULLYMAX and the other two are marked SEFU. One was part of the package purchase, the other a separate purchase from Amazon. All looked to be in the same packaging.

It was raining outside today, so decided to do some battery tests. I did two different tests. The first was to run to the 20% warning and land. The second was run it until it automatically land.

For both tests, fully charged all batteries in my 3 bank charger. All read 4.35V. The test was in my living room at a air conditioned 70F. I used the auto launch feature and then just let it hover at that level for the entire flight. Drone was in default slow mode, low resolution camera. No pictures or video were taken during the flights. Controls were not touched during test. I started the stopwatch on take-off and stopped it on landing. Rounded up to nearest second. For each battery under test, I recorded the voltage when I inserted it back in the charger.

Here are the results:

BatteryResults.PNG

In real use, with flight controls, wind, video and camera captures, Bluetooth along with wifi, the flight times will be less. Based on the results above, and I do land at the 20% warning, probably only getting 6-7 minutes a flight. So about half of the stated 13 min max. I’ll time some of my next outdoor flights just to see if it works out to that. Anyway, guess my gut was right! ?

What are you seeing with flight times?

Last edited:
I only fly outside and record all my flights.i don't have any record less than 10 minutes

I only fly outside and record all my flights.i don't have any record less than 10 minutes

Thx for your input. Do you fly to the 20% warning, or a slightly riskier level?

I did send the info to Ryze for their comment. ie is this normal?

I tend to fly to the 20% warning and get around 9 minutes recording indoors which if you think there is still 20% which would probably take it to 11-12.

Even on a really calm day I can get 8-9 minutes outside till 20% level.

I have to say I was flying in a pretty strong wind the other day which made me have to switch to fast mode so I only got 6 minutes flight that time.
Although I think that’s pretty reasonable considering everything the little drone has to do in that space of time.

After flying my new Tello for a week or two, it seemed like the battery life was less than I was expecting given a 13 minute rating. I hadn’t timed any of the flights, so it was just a gut feeling. I have three official Tello batteries. The one that came with the drone has a mfg label as FULLYMAX and the other two are marked SEFU. One was part of the package purchase, the other a separate purchase from Amazon. All looked to be in the same packaging.

It was raining outside today, so decided to do some battery tests. I did two different tests. The first was to run to the 20% warning and land. The second was run it until it automatically land.

For both tests, fully charged all batteries in my 3 bank charger. All read 4.35V. The test was in my living room at a air conditioned 70F. I used the auto launch feature and then just let it hover at that level for the entire flight. Drone was in default slow mode, low resolution camera. No pictures or video were taken during the flights. Controls were not touched during test. I started the stopwatch on take-off and stopped it on landing. Rounded up to nearest second. For each battery under test, I recorded the voltage when I inserted it back in the charger.

Here are the results:

View attachment 1192

In real use, with flight controls, wind, video and camera captures, Bluetooth along with wifi, the flight times will be less. Based on the results above, and I do land at the 20% warning, probably only getting 6-7 minutes a flight. So about half of the stated 13 min max. I’ll time some of my next outdoor flights just to see if it works out to that. Anyway, guess my gut was right! ?

Very bad XD anyway flying with props guards i am getting 10mins flying,then without props 12mins.
13 mins if i fly without props and no flipping or mode flights... just flying around

Reactions: Guorium
The tests above were with prop guards installed. Tested Battery #1 without guards today. At 10:40 received the 20% warning and at 12:02 the AC landed. Almost a 2 min improvement, which I have seen posted in some threads on this site. Much better.

Outdoor Validation Test:

Ran in fast mode, high quality photo setting, taking video of the whole run, control via iPhone.
No wind, mostly slow flying, with some up and down elevation, some "strafing" runs at full speed across my yard length, about 250'.

Went to 11 minutes before 20% warning. :)

Hello, I have a 4 months old tello and 3 original batteries. Until now I thought I get about 10 or 11 minutes fly time, never timed it before because that was plenty for me.
Just recently I timed them outside in slow mode no recording just taking pictures and almost always reached 14:30 till it autolanded.
Just hovering gives the worst results.

Reactions: Clinton1
Outdoor Validation Test:

Ran in fast mode, high quality photo setting, taking video of the whole run, control via iPhone.
No wind, mostly slow flying, with some up and down elevation, some "strafing" runs at full speed across my yard length, about 250'.

Went to 11 minutes before 20% warning. :)
11 mins all the way in fastmode?wow that's awesome

Hello, I have a 4 months old tello and 3 original batteries. Until now I thought I get about 10 or 11 minutes fly time, never timed it before because that was plenty for me.
Just recently I timed them outside in slow mode no recording just taking pictures and almost always reached 14:30 till it autolanded.
Just hovering gives the worst results.
14mins wow that's something...4 month's now! are you always flying? how about the motors? im afraid to fly often.. because of brushes motor ?

14mins wow that's something...4 month's now! are you always flying? how about the motors? im afraid to fly often.. because of brushes motor ?

Not sure about how many flights, but for sure about 100. One week I might not fly at all, other I might fly 10 times. I am aware about the motors, so I avoid flips, give it a break between batteries and mostly fly only when I wanna capture something. For fun flying I keep other disposable drones :)

Here are the results:

View attachment 1192

Flew today, calm wind without prop guards almost no hovering about 30% fast - two times up to 30m 3 landings & 2 restarts, 10 pictures & 4 videos ~ 4min in total = 14:30 Flighttime & 10% battery left ?????

Reactions: lieronet
Lovely test by the poster. Really helpful when people fully disclose their test condition. I was looking for quality differences between sefu and fullymax battery as my sefu seem to take less time to charge and discharge than the fullymax ones. Well it looks like maybe I just got a dodgy sefu as your sefu seems to be on par.

Fly Fullymax only. I get the advertized 13 minutes in a windless condition without prop guards.

Here are the results:

View attachment 1192

Just FYI, you can get a free AirData account and log all of your Tello flights. Although AirData is designed to log and manage flights from GPS drones, you can import the Tello DAT file and it will give you some basic info like flight time, Longest Flight time, Total Air Time, etc. and other info. I have another post about AirData here that you can see screen shots.

Chris

How come? They both cost the same here.
I donno. Just different retailers doing different deals. 29 is the standard. I also see 21 with some and 19 is tge cheapest but I have to order online and pick up in their shop, it usually is a next day pick up. The shop is a few suburbs away but their warehouse is just in the suburb next to mine. Tge situation is funny as heck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv