Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

My tello dropped out of the air! [Conclusion]

Guorium

Reaction score
Latest firmware and 1.3.0 app on iPhone X. Just stably hovering over my bed about 1.5m high, and plop it shut off suddenly and landed on my bed. I did not send any commands to it. After the fall I powered it on again and it took off for a bit more flying in the room on the same battery, it was getting a bit low on the second take off. My phone was on flight mode with only wifi on.This happened to me once before outside, stable hover 0.4m over grass and it suddenly shut off. That time it had full battery and t1d connected to my phone and cellular enabled.

I asked Ryze support and they told me to charge the battery with required current 1.5A for tello and 2A for offcial battery hub. The supply I used can give a total of 2.4A but it charged the drone and hub normally together. The batteries could all go to full. It is not like the batteries ran out of power when tello fell. Besides tello will have auto land activated for that not just shut off in an instance! Anyway their support told me by experience other cases are associated with under charging current, if I was in doubt they would file an investigation for me. So I went with the investigation. What they suggested just made no sense. Will keep you guys updated. It is a serious flaw of the drone if not user error which I believe it wasn't. Any similar experiences?

UPDATE: Hi all just an update on my case of tello sudden failure in the sky. Short recap, tello fell twice out of the sky dring low hover ~1m, I didn’t touch anything. One 26 Dec last year and the other one on 27 Jan this year. First outdoor second indoor. I still have my suspicions after Ryze’s final reply but what they said was possible so I can only keep an eye out from now.
Ryze analyzed my log file and replied last night (final).

“Thanks for reaching Ryze Support!

I am sending this response on behalf of Dylan, we understand your expectation over the Tello drone, as we are open for suggestions and inquiry that might be added on the future updates. For the FEEDBACK-24878 as our data analysis team conducted and evaluate the flight log they concluded that the drone may be really close to the critical point of overheat when landing on the floor. So it became overheat and shut off after raising to the air. If this issue happens frequently you may send back the tello drone in our facility for repair.

We appreciate your understanding on this.

Thank you very much!”

Last edited:
Yesterday min e dropped from 1.5m saying unknown error. Said to restart it. Then no issue

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Yesterday min e dropped from 1.5m saying unknown error. Said to restart it. Then no issue

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Weird. I recall my control just went black. No error code as if the battery was pulled out.

Mine was flying fine and when I was in the middle of landing and about .25m from the ground the motors stopped and it dropped and read error code 13. I swapped batteries and it was fine.

Mine was flying fine and when I was in the middle of landing and about .25m from the ground the motors stopped and it dropped and read error code 13. I swapped batteries and it was fine.
Thank you for the info! Were you able to restart on the same battery? My fall had no error code showing. I was able to restart on the same battery and fly!

Final reply from Ryze updated. Not very satisfied but I can’t fault their reply anymore due to lack of evidence.

My Tello today fell out of the sky. Just shut off outside at about 15 ft over concrete. Battery still had life. I suspect over heating. Was using with a bluetooth controller. If in flight, it starts overheating, say on a hot day, does the roters just shut off? or does it try and land automatically where it is?

My Tello today fell out of the sky. Just shut off outside at about 15 ft over concrete. Battery still had life. I suspect over heating. Was using with a bluetooth controller. If in flight, it starts overheating, say on a hot day, does the roters just shut off? or does it try and land automatically where it is?

It should auto-land, if memory serves on a similar situation. Don't suppose the battery was somehow knocked loose on a flip or something? Were you video recording the event or screen recording? Was there an error message displayed?

The video did not save the video from the crash. And it was just hovering. No flips/tricks were being performed indoors. I have noticed that when flying indoors... that even the slightest tap against a wall will immediately stop the rotors in flight. It seems like there is a sensor that senses vibration and provides a cut off. Wonder if there is an issue with that causing it.

Reactions: Guorium and Endgame

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv