Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

ND Filter Stuff..... WOW!!

Jesusfreak

Reaction score
So.... We all know the Tello is susceptible to the "jello" effect or rolling shutter...I was doing some reading how to reduce this and saw that an ND filter could help by slowing the shutter speed.... So I ordered a NISI mobile phone filter kit hoping to mount it to the Tello.... It arrived bigger expected.... Whoops [emoji23]

23796220c838a8105ba1eee9d08f73ff.jpg

Nevertheless I wanted to try and see if the filter would help reduce jello so I removed the ND from the frame and attached it with gaffe tape for a preliminary test...the results were better than I could have hoped!!

093b00f0579050bb15c09d66149a06f6.jpg

It flew like a wounded bull with all the glass and tape on the front, but the difference in footage was incredible!

Also, this video is shot using my most damaged and unbalanced props to really up the vibration and push the limits....

368d15f8d58ded3862f759f75122e13a.jpg

Here is the link to the video on my fledgling youtube channel.... Feel free to subscribe if you want to keep up to date with progress on this and other mods as well as footage from Herbie [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Great idea! I know from FPV drones, that some of the pilots use regular car window tint on GoPro lens, so maybe piece of that sticked in front of Tello lens would work. Or if the material you got is anything other than glass, I would just cut it to size and rather use that.

PS. I love your livery! Custom made?

A lot of differenze... But i think you have too much jello in normal condition... Never seen so much personally

Great idea! I know from FPV drones, that some of the pilots use regular car window tint on GoPro lens, so maybe piece of that sticked in front of Tello lens would work. Or if the material you got is anything other than glass, I would just cut it to size and rather use that.

That is not a bad idea. One can go to a tint shop and ask for a piece of left over tint film and apply that to the Tello.

Reactions: stewe12
A lot of differenze... But i think you have too much jello in normal condition... Never seen so much personally
I did say in the post..... I was intentionally running chipped, unbalanced props.... Specifically to cause bad jello so I could see just how well the filter worked.... If that's how it works with bad jello, imagine on minor jello [emoji12][emoji106]

Thanks man! The NISI filters are glass.... I addressed the issues with window tint below..... Livery is custom made.... Printed on a clear gloss laser label....

That is not a bad idea. One can go to a tint shop and ask for a piece of left over tint film and apply that to the Tello.
There are 2 issues.... The first is that it will darken every shot because you can't remove it easily, so your lower light photos will suffer much sooner.... The second is that it won't be Neutral Density, so it will affect com colours more than others.....

There are 2 issues.... The first is that it will darken every shot because you can't remove it easily, so your lower light photos will suffer much sooner.... The second is that it won't be Neutral Density, so it will affect com colours more than others.....

The first issue is easily adressable - 3D model software of your choice, few measurements and you should be able to 3D print a platform to stick the film on. I would mount it on the front motor mounts, similar way as the mirror for straight down photos.

The second issue is up to every videographer. I think window tint should be more or less neutral density. Otherwise it would affect drivers perception which could be dangerous. This is only my assumption as I don't have tinted windows, but I know it is big issue in my country and police is using handheld meters to check the films on windows. But I would think it would shift the WB which should Tello fix itself to some extent. After all, we are still talking about slightly blurry 5MP camera.

If I would intent to test it, I would go to some tint/car shop, asked for a bit of 3M(in my opinion the best brand in this industry), 3D printed frame to stick on and just fly on sunny day (right now I have gray clouds and it is about to snow again).

We have summer all year round and the hear destroys car interior, so window tints are a must. Although I admit mine are darker than is legally allowed and I have a few infractions.

The first issue is easily adressable - 3D model software of your choice, few measurements and you should be able to 3D print a platform to stick the film on. I would mount it on the front motor mounts, similar way as the mirror for straight down photos.

The second issue is up to every videographer. I think window tint should be more or less neutral density. Otherwise it would affect drivers perception which could be dangerous. This is only my assumption as I don't have tinted windows, but I know it is big issue in my country and police is using handheld meters to check the films on windows. But I would think it would shift the WB which should Tello fix itself to some extent. After all, we are still talking about slightly blurry 5MP camera.

If I would intent to test it, I would go to some tint/car shop, asked for a bit of 3M(in my opinion the best brand in this industry), 3D printed frame to stick on and just fly on sunny day (right now I have gray clouds and it is about to snow again).
The 3d printing option would work.... But if I'm going to those lengths I would rather print an adapter for a proper filter (which is what I'm planning for the Mavic Pro 1 glass filters I picked up tonight)... I also have a kit of mobile phone lense adapters coming and I'm pretty sure I can model an adapter that will fit those and the MP1 ND filters.... The kit also means I can choose from 4 different NDs depending on brightness....

If you are happy with window tint that's cool... But I want to see just how far I can push my little drone [emoji12]

The 3d printing option would work.... But if I'm going to those lengths I would rather print an adapter for a proper filter (which is what I'm planning for the Mavic Pro 1 glass filters I picked up tonight)... I also have a kit of mobile phone lense adapters coming and I'm pretty sure I can model an adapter that will fit those and the MP1 ND filters.... The kit also means I can choose from 4 different NDs depending on brightness....

If you are happy with window tint that's cool... But I want to see just how far I can push my little drone [emoji12]

I'm to lazy for that. I use my Tello just for flying. For photograph, I have other drones.

Reactions: Jesusfreak
I'm to lazy for that. I use my Tello just for flying. For photograph, I have other drones.
Fair enough [emoji106] It's my only drone and I'm a modder by nature [emoji23].... Got a lil something for ya though.... [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

3fa4847f9c578b8a0a23045ffb55f05d.jpg

3c64457e58396a0689525cb263746d0d.jpg

f7029df93eeb51f8a150e406b1141d9a.jpg

Now you can be lazy and use your Mavic Pro filters [emoji12][emoji23]

Fair enough [emoji106] It's my only drone and I'm a modder by nature [emoji23].... Got a lil something for ya though.... [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Looks great!

these filters are huge compared to tello. Looks a bit like a cyclops.
maybe check the filters available for dobby?
I tried the Mavic Air filter first... It is just slightly smaller and it was vignetting noticeably in sport mode.... Because the filter sits forward of the lense it needs to be comparatively large.... This size filter also means I am working on a mount to run it in backwards with lens adapters screwed in in front....

nice work

nice work. can you share the stl file or link with us. so we can also print. thank you.

Reactions: Customerx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv