Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Thanks for the input! Agreed it is ugly and big lol...Sounds like T1S and/or Flypad is the choice for me.
I have the Flypad and a GamsirG3s. If you are used to a RC Controller, you will like the Flypad, the sticks are like the sticks on the RC Controller. They are nice and smooth, and linear. The only problem with the Flypad is it will not do OTG, you must use Bluetooth and that cause's video problems if you do not use a WIFI Extender. I hope to get my WIFI Extender this weekend.

Reactions: zesteves and xcrost
I have the Flypad and a GamsirG3s. If you are used to a RC Controller, you will like the Flypad, the sticks are like the sticks on the RC Controller. They are nice and smooth, and linear. The only problem with the Flypad is it will not do OTG, you must use Bluetooth and that cause's video problems if you do not use a WIFI Extender. I hope to get my WIFI Extender this weekend.
You will love it! Makes a big difference in video and distance. I am not used to RC at all but I prefer full linear most of the time.I just need to try it.

@xcrost Did you decide on a OTG controller yet?

I don't know what would be better, but on OTG the T1s is great. I find control to be smooth and precise, video unaffected. I can fly figure 8's inside a 4' circle.

For me, only the video has problems on BT (without Mi 2 wifi extender) - control is good on BT or OTG...
will you tell me how to get the T1 into otg mode. I have read till my head hurts and for some reason can't sort it out.

Reactions: umanbean
@niteman14

To connect via OTG with this T1s, i don't have to do anything except plug it in with an OTG cable... then I can see the power come on and it just works... same with the other controller I tried OTG. I think a T1 should work the same?

Last edited:
@niteman14

To connect via OTG with this T1s, i don't have to do anything except plug it in with an OTG cable... then I can see the power come on and it just works... same with the other controller I tried OTG. I think a T1 should work the same?
The T1d is only Bluetooth it is not OTG compatible.

How does the return home function work? (I assume tello does not have GPS.)
The main ingredients are fairy dust and toad's spit :)

Seriously: Tello has a downward facing camera and calculates relative position data. TelloFPV uses this to get back home. The original app uses this information, too, but only to display distance from home.

Reactions: zesteves
Very sleek!
I think I will give your app a go.

What are the costs?
Price is around 4,20 Euro + applicable tax, or the equivalent in your currency.

Try the free demo version first to see if it works. If it works, leave a 5 star review! If it doesn't drop me a line.

I'm still waiting for comments from users experiencing app crashes. I know there is a limited number of users experiencing random crashes when exiting the app, seem to be restricted to recent Samsung devices.
One user reported an inflight crash, which is something I haven't experienced since the fist days of developing TelloFPV. Still waiting for his detailed feed back, so hopefully we can iron this out.

Reactions: ErikThiart
Yes: Its ugly!
Beside that: If it identifies itself to Android, and the main sticks are reported as X + Y +Z + RZ then it should work out of the box with some mapping. If its like the Flysky it reports some axes in a non-standard way.

I still haven't made up my mind if/how to support these non standard sticks.
Hi, i haven't developped for 15 years now and it was mostly with Visual Basic :)
I presume that for controller mapping, you ask to user to move stick (yaw for exemple) and then you do something like getMotionEvent.AXIS_X - AXIS_Y - AXIS_Z - AXIS_RZ to know what axis value is superior to 0,7 (or 0,8). And it is with the result you know what axis is associated to the yaw ? If yes, would be so difficult to add getMotionEvent.AXIS_RX-AXIS_RY ?

You are a great developper so i imagine it would be not so easy else you would do it before..i am just curious about the way it is developped :)

Last edited:
Hi, i haven't developped for 15 years now and it was mostly with Visual Basic :)
I presume that for controller mapping, you ask to user to move stick (yaw for exemple) and then you do something like getMotionEvent.AXIS_X - AXIS_Y - AXIS_Z - AXIS_RZ to know what axis value is superior to 0,7 (or 0,8). And it is with the result you know what axis is associated to the yaw ? If yes, would be so difficult to add getMotionEvent.AXIS_RX-AXIS_RY ?

You are a great developper so i imagine it would be not so easy else you would do it before..i am just curious about the way it is developped :)

There is a bit more this problem than just that. Other controllers use these axis names to report the buttons L2/R2 so I need to figure out a way to treat some sticks as sticks and others as buttons. Thats not an isolated change but affects a couple of areas. Too much to do on the fly without risking to break something else.
I will look into it but no promises until I know it works without compromising anything else.

First priority right now is to fix this nasty bug that affects a set of recent Samsung smartphones. Only happens upon closing TelloFpv but still not acceptable.

There is a bit more this problem than just that. Other controllers use these axis names to report the buttons L2/R2 so I need to figure out a way to treat some sticks as sticks and others as buttons. Thats not an isolated change but affects a couple of areas. Too much to do on the fly without risking to break something else.
I will look into it but no promises until I know it works without compromising anything else.

First priority right now is to fix this nasty bug that affects a set of recent Samsung smartphones. Only happens upon closing TelloFpv but still not acceptable.
Thank you. Ok, i undertand it is a big work ! May the force be with you ! :)

hey mate i know you said you didnt want to make this an ios app but just so you know there are services that compile apks to native ios apps around without you having to do all the leg work. One i found after a quick google search however i dont know how good it is: MechDome - Home

Hey guys :)

Sorry to bug you, But i just want to post an update on the demensions of that box you asked for. I made a mistake of just copying and pasting the demensions from the walmart website....And needless to say that they had it wrong of course..LOL
Here is the real size of that box.

The case is 14" x 8.5" x 3"

Sorry for the mixup

Hi TelloPilot2019,

No worries!

I already checked up here in Portugal in stores similars to Walmart. But I decided for a Tello Shoulder Storage Case like the picture I send. On eBay, it is about the same price as your box and for me is OK.

Thank you very much for your attention.

All the best!Tello_case.jpg

CHeck if you can get a dead cheap Flypad & Swing combo on ebay. Sell the Swing and the Flypad stays with you for free. Then you just need to see how bad the video is affected, this seems to depend a bit on the phone model & maybe the range extender also

Hi xcrost,

But you can always keep the Swing! ;)

Is is a very nice drone to fly and play with kids. I can only fly it outdoors without wind (zero knots wind). When these conditions are fulfilled, it gives me a great joy.

All the best!

Reactions: xcrost
hey mate i know you said you didnt want to make this an ios app but just so you know there are services that compile apks to native ios apps around without you having to do all the leg work. One i found after a quick google search however i dont know how good it is: MechDome - Home

It claims it can do this magic on a compiled APK. Bold claim but to me not even worth a try.

May work OK for simple input / ouput forms but any app controlling a drone contains a fair bit of low level coding (streams, video encoding/decoding, controllers, bluetooth, networking) that these folks would never get even remotely right. Would be too easy ;).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pyww2