Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Unfortunately it's dark outside, so no real testing possible & the weather forecast for the next days is quite bleak as well. Fiddling around with the menus gave the impression video throughput will not be remembered - when I turn it to auto, next time I start TelloFPV it got some random value - mostly 2 or 3 mbit/s.
OK, Fixed. Funy thing is that in my opinion Auto does nothing but continue to use what you set before.

How many 5 day demo periods can I do?

Its a demo intended for compatibility tests - not for anything else

That said, currently as many as you like, but you have to delete and re-install.
And after 10 flights you have to do this again.
And you get only one photo saved.
And only one 20sec video.
and max 2m altitude.

I try to be as annoying as possible. Otherwise no-one would buy the full version.

It's good not to fly ...we find the little bugs that are hiding....:)

When a button is mapped as (push) it cannot be re-mapped without (push).

Nevermind...I got confused lol

OK, Fixed. Funy thing is that in my opinion Auto does nothing but continue to use what you set before.

I tested the v 0.98y release quit heavily today & it occurred to me that the control in video mode via my otg xbox360 controller faded after a while. That means the input from the controls became less & less effective, almost to a point tello wasn't moving at all. When I switch to sport mode & back to video mode again, the controls got effective again but only for a short time. I didn't performed the test using the onscreen controls, so maybe it's related to my controller only.

Last edited:
I tested the v 0.98y release quit heavy today & it occurred to me that the control in video mode via my otg xbox360 controller faded after a while. That means the input from the controls became less & less effective, almost to a point tello wasn't moving at all. When I switch to sport mode & back to video mode again, the controls got effective again but only for a short time. I didn't performed the test using the onscreen controls, so maybe it's related to my controller only.

If that happens, can you pls check the altitude shown? Because sometimes Tello gets confused about its altitude, and it thinks its very low.
And when flying low, it just gets sluggish by design (I think to make this a safe indoor drone). It starts at roughly 2m altitude, and becomes worse the lower you fly.

EDIT: Just to get this clear: You are not talking about added lag / delay but the amount of yaw/pitch/roll was just too small for the stick position? Can you test that with throttle up as well?

Last edited:
If that happens, can you pls check the altitude shown? Because sometimes Tello gets confused about its altitude, and it thinks its very low.
And when flying low, it just gets sluggish by design (I think to make this a safe indoor drone). It starts at roughly 2m altitude, and becomes worse the lower you fly.

...so it's not a bug, it's a feature ?

EDIT: Just to get this clear: You are not talking about added lag / delay but the amount of yaw/pitch/roll was just too small for the stick position? Can you test that with throttle up as well?

...there has not been added lag, but as you say the amount of y/p/r was to small for the stick position. Throttle worked normal...

...there has not been added lag, but as you say the amount of y/p/r was to small for the stick position. Throttle worked normal...

OK, that is this done inside Tello. Nothing I can do to change this.
When I got my first Tello in October this did not happen. I came with a firmware update - or at least I noticed it after the update.

Stupid design if you ask me, at least for an outdoor toy. Indoors maybe OK.

OK, that is this done inside Tello. Nothing I can do to change this.
When I got my first Tello in October this did not happen. I came with a firmware update - or at least I noticed it after the update.

Stupid design if you ask me, at least for an outdoor toy. Indoors maybe OK.
Which brought me to a thought...Anyway to force set a height via a button press?

I just checked my video using OTG connected T1S controller to Galaxy J7 (2016). Video settings were Bitrate: 4MB and 1 second iFrame interval standing a few meters from Tello with excellent WiFi connection outside. The video on the screen looked smooth but when downloaded the final video it skips every few seconds like a heartbeat. At home changed the settings to 3MB (later to Auto) and iFrame interval to 5 seconds (later to 10 seconds) and didn't use T1S controller anymore. It continues to skip frames every few seconds. Tried original Tello app using on screen controller - similar skipping. Bluetooth is disabled. Tried using iPhone 7 Plus using T1S controller with bluetooth and the original Tello app - no such frame skipping at all. Tried Galaxy Note 4 (officialy specified) with Tello and TelloFPV - skipping is a little better then J7 (2016).

My question is the Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016)/Note 4 not capable of processing the incoming data or there is another problem?

(Looks like this problem J5 2016 is similar to J7 2016:
)

Last edited:
Reactions: Token2695
Most videos I have seen show the Iphone has good video results, better than Android.

I can only speculate about the reasons.
There is basically two reasons: First wifi reception. Iphone seems to be much better in separating valid Wifi from invalid BT interference. That is the main reason for video skips and jitter artifacts in Android. If you see the corruption indicator flashing in TelloFpv, it has identified a defect in the video stream. That really means that the bytes have changed in transit between Tello and the app. The protocol used is low overhead but does not care for repairing these defects on the network level.
So we need best reception, and Apple has obviously much better antennas, or maybe a different Wifi / BT chipset.

Second reason, and this addresses the differences between android phones: if a defective frame arrives how well does the video codec handle this. The video codec is part of the Android that you use, not part of TelloFpv. There is many different codecs around, and each can be slightly different. Some codes seem to be better than others in regard to fault tolerance.
Your phone could be much better (or worse) if you change to another Android version.

Reactions: profi248
I stopped the Bluetooth on my Android and use OTG cable. No corruption indicator is blinking. I am always in airplane mode with just WiFi started. May be android is scanning for other WiFis all the time or there is a strong interference that causes problems - will check on open area tomorrow but looks like the phone is having hard time processing/receiving so much data and skips frames.

The amount of data is not an issue. That is low for a recent phone. My s3 mini can do that easily.
Keep in mind that every iFrame causes a little stutter, so you want to avoid low iframe rates. Keep it at 5+ s if you can (if you have long-lived jitter on the screen you need to reduce it)

I've been watching this app being developed from day one, and the interaction from Volate!lo.
The way he deals with problems, and suggestions from the general public, has given me the confidence to spend my $7.95AU to get it, and forgo a cup of Coffee for the same price.;)

P.S. I'm moving over from ATelloPilot

Hello!
Could it be possible to change the location for saved videos?
Since the videos go under DCIM folder, google photos wants to backup all the videos to cloud and i would like to avoid that...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliaso