Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

i can't seem to find a way to send a picture in a private chat....took a screenshot for the app wil the device id on it for you but the only way i see to send a picture in a private chat is through a link????

OK, received it by email. After the next release is in Beta (tomorrow maybe Monday) I will send out license key & instructions!
And yes, that will be an initial VR release.

In preparation for this could those folks with "special needs" for licensing please contact me in a direct conversation (or [email protected]) and provide the device IDs of all devices they run TelloFpv on (that is Menu => About). I can then send you a key for each.
I remember Briest and Tello_Pilot2019 had this request but haven't found the right page on this epic thread.

Me too. But first I need to have possibility to buy it from UA play store. Hope you won't forget 'bout me. :)

The next release will add a function to enter license keys. And other minor improvements like VR support.

Love how you snuck that minor thing in there! YOU ROCK! volate!lo!!!!!!!!!:D:ROFLMAO:(y):cool:[/QUOTE]

The next release will add a function to enter license keys. And other minor improvements like VR support.

Love how you snuck that minor thing in there! YOU ROCK! volate!lo!!!!!!!!!:D:ROFLMAO:(y):cool:
[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh! At least one does read my posts!

Reactions: xcrost
I would like to do a video with Tello FPV but when I run DU recorder the video stream goes to trash a few minutes into the flight. looks like Wifi interference but the only way to fix it is land and restart everything...I mean everything it took to get things working right again. Only buttons would work on controller, blue TelloFPV bar at top of screen, weird stuff. Any suggestions?
Note 3 5.0

blue TelloFPV bar at top of screen,

Somehow I got this the day i updated to 99a, app wouldn't respond ... Had to force close and restart. Haven't seen it since tho.

While hovering inside, I ~think~ i remember being in a Settings screen and this happened exiting the menu. Don't 'bank' on my memory though lol.

Somehow I got this the day i updated to 99a, app wouldn't respond ... Had to force close and restart. Haven't seen it since tho.

While hovering inside, I ~think~ i remember being in a Settings screen and this happened exiting the menu. Don't 'bank' on my memory though lol.

I know that a few settings trigger the app header to appear, and sometimes it would not go away again. Its a known bug in Android, but IIRC I stumbled over a workaround some time ago. I need to check this.

I would like to do a video with Tello FPV but when I run DU recorder the video stream goes to trash a few minutes into the flight. looks like Wifi interference but the only way to fix it is land and restart everything...I mean everything it took to get things working right again. Only buttons would work on controller, blue TelloFPV bar at top of screen, weird stuff. Any suggestions?
Note 3 5.0

DU recorder seems to cause trouble but so far I only had two incidences. Too little to draw any conclusions. I use it myself without problems but both are video processing apps, so they share some low level codec code. This is one of the weakest spots for Android in general, because these codecs are different for each phone model, android version, sometimes carrier.

Maybe its a silly question with a 5mpx camera but is there any chance of Getting raw câmera files from tello?
Not possible, Telo creates JPG files onboard and the app just downloads them.

note: I have a feeling that the app opened into a "window" style mode (blue bar at top) and apps should open in "full screen" mode to gain full access :)

That is roughly true. Android has an ancient bug that causes this. Has been around for years.

I wanted to know how the (take-off direction) works in the flight register? the number "0" is the starting direction,
the drone takes off with the camera facing NORTH and lands in EST, which number do I find registered?

I still have to do these tests, due to the weather not nice to fly.

Thank you

I wanted to know how the (take-off direction) works in the flight register? the number "0" is the starting direction,
the drone takes off with the camera facing NORTH and lands in EST, which number do I find registered?

I still have to do these tests, due to the weather not nice to fly.

Thank you
right now "0" is the direction when the drone was powered on.
Powered up facing north, then travelling sideways to east, the direction would be "90".

Second one to that.
Ywan especially, but the others even.
Independent from the altitude, and battery too.
Landed, take off again and back to normal.
I don't know..just randomly..not always.
I'm having an issue with yaw rate. Seems to happen randomly so far. The rate is reduced dramatically and it is not associated with Tello being too low to the ground or low batt. When the rate was low, I landed and took of again...If I stayed below ~1m the yaw was fast and normal. Once I went higher (and the VPS kicked in?) The Yaw rate went back to slow even if I raised altitude. Anyone one else seeing this?

Bringing back this issue. I haven't experienced this but maybe I just don't fly enough (many short hops to test something, but very few real flights).
This seems to be a problem others experience as well, I just read a post on FB:

Agreed, that is normal... What's not normal is what I experience..... When changing to fast mode..forward/backward and panning left/right are fast (i'm talking 5m upwards)... But thrust (up/down) and yaw (turning left/right) are still Slow. Then if I land while in fast mode and take off again, everything is fast... The way it should be... But just a little while later, same thing... Yaw and up/down go back to SLOW mode while the craft is still in fast mode... Now... I have 2x Tello's (one has only flown 3 times, it's a back up).. And I have replicated this problem with both of them, on a Galaxy s7,Galaxy s9 and iPhone 8Plus.... Could you check if your 'Yaw' and up/down is also 'fast' when in fast mode?

So it seems that this is a problem of the firmware, as this guy is using both iphone and android.

Last edited:
right now "0" is the direction when the drone was powered on.
Powered up facing north, then travelling sideways to east, the direction would be "90".

This app could be useful for finding the cello with TelloFPV flight log data.
What do you think about it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.calmatics.compassmap

It would be interesting to perform search tests with the tello at different distances to see if the app data and flight log data take you near where the drone landed or fell.

Last edited:
Bringing back this issue. I haven't experienced this but maybe I just don't fly enough (many short hops to test something, but very few real flights).
This seems to be a problem others experience as well, I just read a post on FB:

Agreed, that is normal... What's not normal is what I experience..... When changing to fast mode..forward/backward and panning left/right are fast (i'm talking 5m upwards)... But thrust (up/down) and yaw (turning left/right) are still Slow. Then if I land while in fast mode and take off again, everything is fast... The way it should be... But just a little while later, same thing... Yaw and up/down go back to SLOW mode while the craft is still in fast mode... Now... I have 2x Tello's (one has only flown 3 times, it's a back up).. And I have replicated this problem with both of them, on a Galaxy s7,Galaxy s9 and iPhone 8Plus.... Could you check if your 'Yaw' and up/down is also 'fast' when in fast mode?

So it seems that this is a problem of the firmware, as this guy is using both iphone and android.
It happens rarely and hard to pin down. Agreed it is prob. firmware. Which brings me to the new update. I thought it's just APP update but it is asking to update firmware too. Same "fixes" as last update. And now I see it reset my firmware to ver.0 even though I hit cancel for the download ARRRRG. I guess I have to do it now. Was there a firmware update yesterday too?

....unless i reset the tello by accident somehow? Don't think I held the pwr for 5 sec. highly unlikely

I know that a few settings trigger the app header to appear, and sometimes it would not go away again. Its a known bug in Android, but IIRC I stumbled over a workaround some time ago. I need to check this.

DU recorder seems to cause trouble but so far I only had two incidences. Too little to draw any conclusions. I use it myself without problems but both are video processing apps, so they share some low level codec code. This is one of the weakest spots for Android in general, because these codecs are different for each phone model, android version, sometimes carrier.

Not possible, Telo creates JPG files onboard and the app just downloads them.
Ok, I understand! Thanks for your reply!

This app could be useful for finding the cello with TelloFPV flight log data.
What do you think about it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.calmatics.compassmap

It would be interesting to perform search tests with the tello at different distances to see if the app data and flight log data take you near where the drone landed or fell.
The problem is with all these tools: Alignment of the drone's direction and the mobile just isn't accurate enough to provide useful hints.

You either have to memorize the direction Tello had when powering up and point your phone into that direction. Accuracy will be maybe +-40 deg maybe, but in most cases you will already have a rough idea where Tello was, certainly not much worse than +-40 deg.

Or you have to always align the phone into the direction of Tello when taking off, like it's done in aTelloPilot. Accuracy may be around +-20 deg . Still not really useable in my view.
Its a tiny last glimmer of hope for those who lost Tello, not more. I added this to my list, and will think about it, but I don't want to do half-ready ideas so no promises.

I
The problem is with all these tools: Alignment of the drone's direction and the mobile just isn't accurate enough to provide useful hints.

You either have to memorize the direction Tello had when powering up and point your phone into that direction. Accuracy will be maybe +-40 deg maybe, but in most cases you will already have a rough idea where Tello was, certainly not much worse than +-40 deg.

Or you have to always align the phone into the direction of Tello when taking off, like it's done in aTelloPilot. Accuracy may be around +-20 deg . Still not really useable in my view.
Its a tiny last glimmer of hope for those who lost Tello, not more. I added this to my list, and will think about it, but I don't want to do half-ready ideas so no promises.

Example: On the take-off panel I put an arrow pointing to "0" North, the drone falls and on the flight register I read a distance of 100 meters and a direction of "90" degrees, I open the app and bring to 90 degrees + - and walk 100 meters in that direction following the app with GPS. (could I approach the drone)?
always take off with tello towards the north

however, it is already an extra hope, to have these data.

Last edited:
Accuracy will still be low due to manual adjustment of phone and launch pad, as well as drone and launch pad.
But it would work as a last resort.

Personally I'm too lazy for that, I just take off wherever I am and don't care about directions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prplwtf