Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Hi,

My test on v0.5 using Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU model), Gamesir T1 USB OTG wired controller and Xiaomi 2Wifi extender. Moderate wind 10/15 km/h. This is the flight log:

tello fpv log.jpg

the Good:

- DU recording woking pefect, even during app video recording.
- No blank screen during flight (clearing ram before flight)
- Video quality slightly lower than other Tello apps, but perferctly flyable.
- Photo and video recording works and saved succesfully into their phone folders.
- USB controller works perfect. Button remaping is ok.
- RTH works like a charm. "Home" icon helps a lot.

the Bad:

- erratic malfunction on Photo/Video switch. It works, but is difficult to select desired mode using touch screen. Throught controller it works ok.
- Autopilot modes Circle and POI works but produces jumping, non smooth movements.
- WIFI strenght reading jumps a lot (from 90 to 70 to 40 ...). I'm afraid that is a Tello firmware limitation.
- When into photo mode images are distorted/stretched. Other apps (like aTelloPilot) adjust image adding side black bars when in photo mode to avoid it. See:

Sample in video mode not stretched CORRECT

tellofpv video.jpg

Sample in photo mode stretched INCORRECT (DEFORMED)
Tellofpv photo.jpg

Now, let me show you it into "another" app: ;)

atellopilot photo mode.jpg
and when mode video on, side bars dissapear:
atellopilot video mode.jpg
I hope it helps. Looking forward new version with video image enhanced. ;)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia and zesteves
Hi
just tried your app for the 1st time, in my office
im amazed how the RTH works, tried flying it in all directions and it always managed to rotate to my desk and fly back to me
pretty amazing for a drone without GPS and COMPASS
Video is a bit choppy, and some pixels here and there
will wait for rain to stop to test it outside
looks very promising app so far :)

Folks, I have seen all your posts and I will get back to each. I am busy fixing a few more things for v0.6 which will come later today.
Based on my tests video is now smooth as butter, free from artifacts / pixels and with a lag of just below 170ms much better than stock app.
Stay tuned...

Anticipation is killing me but take your time! Make it better than great! ;)

Hi, i didn't test it yet but the most of people here seems to say that your RTH function in amazing ! Great ! Would be possible to imagine a GTT function (Go To Tello :)). If the app knows the way the Tello have to do to come back to us, maybe the app could indicate us the way to go to the tello ? It can be usefull if we lose the tello (heigh grass for exemple) during a fpv session ? I imagine it could work only with phone equiped with telemetry and gyro... I don't know if it could interest other pilots here :unsure:

Last edited:
Hi, i didn't test it yet but the most of people here seems to say that your RTH function in amazing ! Great ! Would be possible to imagine a GTT function (Go To Tello :)). If the app knows the way the Tello have to do to come back to us, maybe the app could indicate us the way to go to the tello ? It can be usefull if we lose the tello (height grass for exemple) during a fpv session ? I imagine it could work only with phone equiped with telemetry and gyro... I don't know if it could interest other pilots here :unsure:
Yes this could be a cool Thing ?????????

Reactions: spamaro
Yes this could be a cool Thing ?????????
That would be awesome. I have used a bluetooth trackr but more interference. sort of relating to flight data ...I was also thinking there might be a way to "playback" a flight where Tello flies the last pattern flown or something. That would be cool too.

Reactions: spamaro
Hi, i didn't test it yet but the most of people here seems to say that your RTH function in amazing ! Great ! Would be possible to imagine a GTT function (Go To Tello :)). If the app knows the way the Tello have to do to come back to us, maybe the app could indicate us the way to go to the tello ? It can be usefull if we lose the tello (heigh grass for exemple) during a fpv session ? I imagine it could work only with phone equiped with telemetry and gyro... I don't know if it could interest other pilots here :unsure:
The RTH does work awesome!.. But for me right now, If I set the alt. to 7m it flies backwards away from home! So be careful. Set at 0 it works perfect. Just reteuns at the current alt. :)

v0.6 is out, fixing video quality issues and connection issues plus a couple of other things. I will go through the posts that came up in the meantime and address each.
See Post #2 on the first page of this thread and enjoy!

Last edited:
v0.6 is out, fixing video quality issues and connection issues plus a couple of other things. I will go through the posts that came up in the meantime and address each.
See Post #2 on the first page of this thread and enjoy!
You are awesome!

If you don't mind I will address all the unanswered post in one large answer instead of writing individual posts that clutter the thread:

Really liking v0.5... after v0.4 came out, I was looking forward to controller support and CSC... thanks!

I know you're working on video feed at the moment but for the record, some minor issues I'm having:

• I got the 'black screen' one time this morning, telemetry and control was there but no video. I force stopped all apps and got video back on TelloFPV re-start... probably some app conflict.
  • Sliding the switch from video mode to photo mode doesn't seem to want to work well, and I haven't been able to find any photos I've taken.
  • I get the 'downloading' percentage onscreen and the 'TelloFPV Photos' folder is there, but no photos... videos are where they're supposted to be.
  • To arm motors with CSC, the sticks have to be in the precisely perfect place... v0.4 seemed more forgiving. Same behavior on BT or OTG.
  • With Debug turned ON, the values have to be: T:-1.0 Y:1.0 P:-1.0 R:-1.0 to arm
  • I tried CSC with deadzone changed to '0' and '20', same thing- have to have values of 'all 1.0s' to arm. Kept Rate and Expo at defaults.

I hope you're having fun with this project... 'cause I'm having a blast following it!
Sliding switch photo<=>video should be fixed
Photos not being saved are an issue I can't reproduce. Are you sure you have checked in the correct location? I know this is obvious but lost two full days on such a stupid mistake recently :whistle:
CSC arming works with 70% stick. If it doesn't for you please open the debug overlay and check what stick % you need. Once all sticks are above 70% the display will jump to 100% and arm Tello

Maiden flight outdoors was awesome V! Except for the 20+mph gusts :(... CSC does work! Just very touchy as was said. I haven't tweaked the T1D controller yet but its working good, very little lag. I didn't try AP's much yet because of the wind. I will be more brave next flight. I did try RTH ...it rose to 10m as programmed, turned the right direction but then flew backwards??? The RTH Indicator was correct too. (I love the distance counting feature but it was going the wrong way lol) I'm so glad you made it easy to cancel AP's and landings etc. awesome feature! Next flight in ~hour! :) I will try DU recorder and see how it goes.

Oh when I changed batts it came up black screen, I closed the app, cleared RAM and it worked fine. It seems If I close the APP this happens and I have to clear RAM to get video again (no other apps are running i.e. Tello, etc. regarding your earlier post)

Still can't reproduce the backward RTH :(
Clearing ram to get connection is hopefully no longer required, but still suggested until we are really at release level.

Hello Volatello,

Finally, today I was able to test the TelloFPV app (0.5) with my setup: Oneplus One (Android 6.0.1) with the Parrot Flypad or GameSir G3s controllers. I did the flights outdoor and the tests went very well.

First, I tested the app with the Flypad, connected via bluetooth, and it worked perfectly.

The automatic take/off and the landing through the button worked very well . The motors startup with the sticks also is nice. I didn’t try the hand launch and landing.

I tested some AP features and they also worked well (RTH, Circle POI, Lock POI)

The Video & Sports speedmodes worked well.

The video, although sometimes was pixelated, overall worked well and did not have any black screen or other occurrence.

Second, I tested the TelloFPV with GameSir G3s controller. I could only connect it via USB OTG. I could not make it work via bluetooth. However, via OTG it worked well, with all the features already tested with Flypad.

For the OTG connection I followed the brick72 routine and works perfect:

When I tried to make it work via Bluetooth, I got my first black screen. I had this situation 2 or 3 times and I gave up using the G3s via Bluetooth.

DuRecorder worked without any problem with both controllers. I even recorded, simultaneously, the video with the app and the screen with DuRecorder, without any problem.

I bought Tello a little over a week ago and I was thinking about returning it back because, with the available apps, I could not reach my objective: to fly the Tello with Flypad controller and FPV with VR capabilities.
Thanks to your app, I completely changed my mind and I will keep the Tello, as I have a lot of fun when flying with it.

It's amazing the work you've already developed with the TelloFPV app.

Thank you so much for your dedication!
Video quality should be fixed now.

Gamesir G3s needs to be paired / configured / whatever according to manufacturers instructions. TelloFPV will not scan for it on Bluetooth and won't recognize it (unless it happens to be compatible with T1d which I doubt). The G3s will only work once its fully recognized by a normal gamepad test app.
TelloFPV should work with OTG controllers no matter how / when you connect them. You only need to go to the controller screen once, press scan & assign the controller as Master or Student. Afterwards it should be recognized anytime you plug it in, even inflight in case you accidentally unplug it.

My personal objectives for starting TelloFPV were a full featured FPV App for VR goggles and Flypad, including the FPV trainer function for the kids. Seems like a good match with your goals :)

Hello, I installed the app, but I can not operate any of the 2 autopilots, do not start the flight, the tello remains still overing. Another problem more serious despite start recording, does not save movies .. anywhere, you start and stop adjusting the recording (I have regularly allowed access to the app to the smartphone) but the files do not store them.
Also known in the return HOme the drone returns above me but does not land ... is it normal?

I have a redme note 5 android thank you
The APs should definately work. Especially if the RTH works, which shares the same codebase. Maybe you are using the sticks (which will automatically deactivate the APs if you move a stick axis that is controlled by the AP). Otherwise just give it another try.
TelloFPV now shows the full path to the video file once recording has ended. Check if its there. If the folder "Tello Video" and "Tello Photo" are there the App privileges should be OK.
Return to home currently does not descend. I will add this in a future release but its low priority right now. TelloFPV will not perform an auto-land, as I consider this dangerous (especially since Tello reduces max attitude when below 2m so its an easy victim of even slight wind). I think hovering at 1.5-2m would be OK, do you agree?.

Hi,

My test on v0.5 using Samsung Galaxy A3 (SM-A300FU model), Gamesir T1 USB OTG wired controller and Xiaomi 2Wifi extender. Moderate wind 10/15 km/h. This is the flight log:

the Good:

- DU recording woking pefect, even during app video recording.
- No blank screen during flight (clearing ram before flight)
- Video quality slightly lower than other Tello apps, but perferctly flyable.
- Photo and video recording works and saved succesfully into their phone folders.
- USB controller works perfect. Button remaping is ok.
- RTH works like a charm. "Home" icon helps a lot.

the Bad:

- erratic malfunction on Photo/Video switch. It works, but is difficult to select desired mode using touch screen. Throught controller it works ok.
- Autopilot modes Circle and POI works but produces jumping, non smooth movements.
- WIFI strenght reading jumps a lot (from 90 to 70 to 40 ...). I'm afraid that is a Tello firmware limitation.
- When into photo mode images are distorted/stretched. Other apps (like aTelloPilot) adjust image adding side black bars when in photo mode to avoid it. See:

Sample in video mode not stretched CORRECT

Sample in photo mode stretched INCORRECT (DEFORMED)

Now, let me show you it into "another" app: ;)

and when mode video on, side bars dissapear:

I hope it helps. Looking forward new version with video image enhanced. ;)

Cheers.
Thanks for "the good", and even more for "The bad"!
Photo/video switch is fixed in v0.6
Autopilots are now smoother, but not perfect. They do OK for moving slow while the POI is a few meters away but struggle when flying faster / closer. I think they are OK for now but need to be revised in a future release.
Wifi reading comes from Tello. This is the unfiltered link quality that Tello sees. Nothing I can do.
I will look into the aspect ratio issue. I know its not perfect. I want to make it easily configurable if to stretch or to crop the image to fit the screen. Should work even inflight and maybe on a controller button

These did not fit into the previous message:

I think I spent more time looking for my Hubsan X4 FPV in high grass than I actually flew it. With the Tello not so much, its pretty hard to crash with telemtry, stable hover and all that. Just press the Panic button and it hovers in place.
But I hear ya. Impossible is nothing. Only a question of time & priorities. This is serious effort and not top priority for now. Priority is definately release quality first, VR support second.

You are awesome!
You are welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: zesteves
A few words on v0.6.
Video is super smooth for me. Just play a bit with the settings until you are satisfied. For me its Bitrate 4Mbps, IFrame 5sec, not dropping corrupted frames. Let me know how this works for you.

I realized that -contrary to my previous experience with Parrot Bebops- bluetooth connections do affect the Tello video stream much more. Maybe Parrot have some smarter error handling in their link.
How badly your video link is affected by BT or other wifi sources you can check with the debug layer on (it now also counts corrupt frames). If I am outside with no other wifi and no BT device nearby I can go for a few seconds betwen broken frames. Inside with maybe 10 devices around me its a different story.

Autopilots are smoother now but still not perfect. I think they are good enough for the time being, release quality in terms of bugs has higher priority now.

Everything is working great on v0.6 for me so far :) CSC is much better now and the other fixes seem to be working as well. I can't accurately test video right now because I have a ton of interference in here. As said in your notes it appears a RAM reset is only necessary if re-starting the APP for some reason. I.e. I forgot to launch DR recorder before I started so I had to exit the APP, start DR and then clear RAM and then restart TelloFPV. More to come after next outdoor flight....this is awesome!
DU recorder is working well. I will try to get some good video tomorrow (maybe of the reverse RTH with the debug screen on :)) but it will be another windy day.

Last edited:
Question and LOW priority.... Can the VPS be intentionally disabled with a command? I would like this feature if possible. Like I said, low priority...I want to fly with my VR headset first! :)

Everything is working great on v0.6 for me so far :) CSC is much better now and the other fixes seem to be working as well. I can't accurately test video right now because I have a ton of interference in here. As said in your notes it appears a RAM reset is only necessary if re-starting the APP for some reason. I.e. I forgot to launch DR recorder before I started so I had to exit the APP, start DR and then clear RAM and then restart TelloFPV. More to come after next outdoor flight....this is awesome!
DU recorder is working well. I will try to get some good video tomorrow (maybe of the reverse RTH with the debug screen on :)) but it will be another windy day.
update: Actually DR recorder works but if I try to record with TelloFPV the video freezes. As soon as I stop recording the video returns....Low priority for me

A few words on v0.6.
Video is super smooth for me. Just play a bit with the settings until you are satisfied. For me its Bitrate 4Mbps, IFrame 5sec, not dropping corrupted frames. Let me know how this works for you.

You said your favorite telloFPV Bitrate is "4Mbps" , can you explain me how can it gives you better results than "Auto" ?. How really "Auto" works ?

By the way, I noticed you brightened telloFPV app incon. That's a good idea, now it looks much better on my android desktop ;)

old tellofpv icon v05.jpg and new tellofpv icon v06.jpg

Thanks a lot.

raul.

Last edited:
Question and LOW priority.... Can the VPS be intentionally disabled with a command? I would like this feature if possible. Like I said, low priority...I want to fly with my VR headset first! :)

Disabling VPS isn't possible - all the flight control is part of the firmware. And firmware modification is way above my paygrade. Haven't done any assembler programming since my early days with a Commodore C64 back in the 80s.

Simple solution which I used when flying above water: A bit of tape over the bottom camera. VPS will never switch on, you will always stay in "attitude mode"

update: Actually DR recorder works but if I try to record with TelloFPV the video freezes. As soon as I stop recording the video returns....Low priority for me

Not much I can do about this I'm afraid. My guess is that DR recorder also can't record other video apps like stock media player or VLC?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prplwtf