Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

The future of vGPS & FollowMe...

vGPS is working OK for flight path analysis in Google Earth. Also the Google maps marker for the last known position is just an approximation but certainly better than nothing at all. At least its a starting point for your search in case Tello is lost.
POI lock on the phone position also seems to be good enough for some selfie videos (like people passing Tello on a bike).

But for FollowMe vGPS just isn't good enough. The phone compass doesn't consistently provide accurate bearings. With the current precision FollowMe results often look ridiculous, with people walking out of the frame after just 20m or so. As Raul said, he sees a working FollowMe in maybe 50% of his attempts which just doesn't seem acceptable to me.
I don't want to see tons of failed FollowMe videos on YT. I don't want to deal with the frustration people will face. And I don't want to deal with the low app ratings and reviews that would result from this.
I spent a lot of time and energy on this feature but I am running out of ideas. Consequently I will stop development of vGPS FollowMe. Its a dead end.

So what will happen now?
I consider the Google Earth / Maps features usefull and mature enough so vGPS itself will be released. It will be a paid In-App purchase because I want a "payment-wall" / barrier to keep casual users away. Otherwise I would drown in support requests by n00bs.
FollowMe will not be officially released. It will remain available as an unofficial & unsupported feature for vGPS enabled devices. It will require some easter-egg style unlock procedure, and of course the vGPS module.

Without the main feature the vGPS in-app purchase will cost only a nominal fee, maybe 1.50 Euro plus taxes. I don't expect large sales figures anyway - as said its more a payment wall to save my sanity.
I think you were already frustrated beyond belief by us today since vgps made its appearance. I'm actually excited and was more frustrated because of the weather that was really bad. And I really appreciate your feedback because I learn something new every time. Will test everything when the weather permits. I also flew the fimi for the first time today indoors in an empty building and on take off flew straight into the ceiling?. Default height was 4m so another learning experience awaits. It's a nice drone but don't match the tello indoors. And the tello is always in my backpack and the fimi in the cupboard at home.

Hi, I am a new Tello pilot and using since the beginning the great TelloFPV-App, much better than the original App.

One questions about the flight logs:
Isn't it possible to add to the records the Maximum Height?

heinz

Reactions: hea-kun
That is already recorded and is displayed in the inidividual flight details.

I don't see the point in adding this to the overall "records" page. The value would be 30m/ 100ft for at most pilots.

Reactions: Flydrone
this is true ... usually I always fly 20/30 meters high, but many times I like to fly at low altitude like a small RC plane without
taking pictures and videos I was able to follow perfect parabolic curves! ?

I think you were already frustrated beyond belief by us today since vgps made its appearance. I'm actually excited and was more frustrated because of the weather that was really bad. And I really appreciate your feedback because I learn something new every time. Will test everything when the weather permits. I also flew the fimi for the first time today indoors in an empty building and on take off flew straight into the ceiling?. Default height was 4m so another learning experience awaits. It's a nice drone but don't match the tello indoors. And the tello is always in my backpack and the fimi in the cupboard at home.

Well actually I think FollowMe will be useful for many, but not at a level required for a commercial product. I can't release it without risking the App's reputation. Thats a bit frustrating.

But people here in the forum are typically folks willing to accept the deficiencies of Tello and VPS compared to a full GPS drone. Thats why I disclosed the easter egg to activate the FollowMe function for those interested.

Funny side note:
I initially started this hobby project to teach my kids FPV but the driving factor for making it a commercial project was the idea of vGPS as an enabler for a FollowMe mode. I had big hopes that FollowMe could be a way to commercial success.
This main driving factor turns out to be a disaster with no commercial significance - but the app itself is a success well beyond my expectations. The full version will pass 10.000 installations tonight or tomorrow so I have certainly no reason to complain.

Admitting that my super secret, super smart and super cool feature is a fail just hurts my professional Ego, thats all. :LOL::ROFLMAO: I'll get over it.

Well actually I think FollowMe will be useful for many, but not at a level required for a commercial product. I can't release it without risking the App's reputation. Thats a bit frustrating.
Admitting that my super secret, super smart and super cool feature is a fail just hurts my professional Ego, thats all. :LOL::ROFLMAO: I'll get over it.
@volate!lo

Totally disagree with you ;)

vGPS and FollowMe feature ARE super cool features. I let Mavic pilots have a look to your app and they can't believe what you did. You performed and incredible work and guided Tello beyond their limits.

This community is very lucky you have dedicated so much effort to this little toy.

All the best

Raul.

OK. Impressive not only the kml files but it actually followed me...... Once or twice?. But I don't care about that. Took it to 63m away with no video interruptions and signal went from 90 to 70 at about 60m with plain standard xiaomi 2 repeater and phone without controller. Video was at 3mbs and was smooth even when I rotated to came back. All other auto pilots work nicely and got on average 11 to 12 minutes per battery. I used up all 3. All in all this more than I need.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190522-135303.jpg
    Screenshot_20190522-135303.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
vGPS and FollowMe feature ARE super cool features. I let Mavic pilots have a look to your app and they can't believe what you did. You performed and incredible work and guided Tello beyond their limits.
Maybe. But only on every second run or so, which just isn't good enough.

Anyway I think the approach mentioned yesterday will work best for now: vGPS with google maps & earth will be available as a relatively cheap purchase for everyone - and the hidden FollowMe is reserved for people who invest enough time to find it.

Maybe I will add the FollowMe easter egg to the manual. Somewhere hidden in the middle where nobody expects it.

Maybe. But only on every second run or so, which just isn't good enough.

Anyway I think the approach mentioned yesterday will work best for now: vGPS with google maps & earth will be available as a relatively cheap purchase for everyone - and the hidden FollowMe is reserved for people who invest enough time to find it.

Maybe I will add the FollowMe easter egg to the manual. Somewhere hidden in the middle where nobody expects it.
I think this way is the best option.
PPL who want FollowMe can ge it with the EasterEgg Code, all others have the vGPS Function.

Reactions: Koedoe888
Follow me is not a big problem for me. I can use the fimi for that. I actually got a bit of fly time with it as well today and with GPS it follows like a dream. Tonight I must do surgery and replace motors on another tello that belongs to the kids and wife. Got it from my boss after he flew into a car and ripped a motor out on the day he bought it ?.

Not a fail by any definition...
It IS super smart and it IS super cool
Sorry about your ego but...
You WILL get over it, we'll help :)

We appreciate your effort and your app as it is!

10k people can't be wrong!

Not a fail by any definition...
It IS super smart and it IS super cool
Sorry about your ego but...
You WILL get over it, we'll help :)

We appreciate your effort and your app as it is!

10k people can't be wrong!

As said its kind of funny. Because had I known from the beginning that FollowMe does not work this project would have never left my office. in which case I would have missed quite an opportunity.
All good the way it is :)

As said its kind of funny. Because had I known from the beginning that FollowMe does not work this project would have never left my office. in which case I would have missed quite an opportunity.
All good the way it is :)
Serendipity at its finest. Yes, all is good....

Reactions: volate!lo
My favorite function of telo fpv is the fact that it have a return to home button and never missed the spots by far.
RTH took the Tello home to me in a flight about 100 meters away ... for my distraction I lost sight of the drone and didn't know where it was anymore. on the LCD of the phone I struggled to see something in the sunlight and I panicked, I pressed RTH and after a while Tello was over the starting point.(y)

Reactions: bsaridar
Is it possible to add a function that can limit distance away from home? I lost sight and orientation at 87m today and clipped a tree???. The tello miraculously didn't crash and kept its position. I think I must limit myself to the 50 or 60metre distances.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wroxel