Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Unfortunately, not because I use video. Sometimes photos. That's why I asked about the database of earlier versions. I did not want to take your time ...

no worries about my time. If there is a bug, and this seems to be a bug, it has to be fixed. Going back to an old version can be an interim fix but not a permanent solution.

I will sendyou some info in a direct conversation.

Now that is some time ago.... Too much has changed since then to identify the root cause. Maybe the steps I sent you work

do you happen to have a screen recording?

EDIT: When exactly does the video feed stop? Whenever you switch from video mode to photo mode? Or at the time you really take a photo?
Hi, we have already talked about it if I remember correctly, to add a function to take screenshots during the flight by mapping this function on the controller ...
it could also be useful in these bug cases.

Thanks as always! ;) (y)

Hi, we have already talked about it if I remember correctly, to add a function to take screenshots during the flight by mapping this function on the controller ...
it could also be useful in these bug cases.

Thanks as always! ;) (y)
I looked into this back then but this is far from trivial and would require lots of changes throught the app. Where screenrecording was just relatively little effort taking a screenshot is not :-(

I looked into this back then but this is far from trivial and would require lots of changes throught the app. Where screenrecording was just relatively little effort taking a screenshot is not :-(
I got it! I didn't think it was a problem ...
Thank you. ;)

So its Working on HTC U11 as Master and on my LG X Power as Copilot ???
The Video Quality on copilot is not the verry best, but its enough to get a guest a feeling for Flying

Thanks a lot.
Cheers
?

Couple of observations on Copilot
  • My wife thinks it's neat - and she doesn't give a nit about drones.
  • Video quality on my 8 inch tablet as co-pilot is great.
  • It's hot weather here and getting everything set up before Tello overheats and shuts down is a pita.
  • To solve the above problem, I power on Tello last.
  • I like the fact that you can turn on VR mode separately on each device - perfect!
  • Pilot should not get over-enthusiastic and almost fly into the pool

Reactions: volate!lo
Couple of observations on Copilot
  • My wife thinks it's neat - and she doesn't give a nit about drones.
  • Video quality on my 8 inch tablet as co-pilot is great.
  • It's hot weather here and getting everything set up before Tello overheats and shuts down is a pita.
  • To solve the above problem, I power on Tello last.
  • I like the fact that you can turn on VR mode separately on each device - perfect!
  • Pilot should not get over-enthusiastic and almost fly into the pool
For cooling Tello its easiest to just start the motors using the combined stick command. Doesn't use much energy and gives time to play around at least on the first few runs so you get used to the processes.
But I agree, the more stuff you add to the basic "Tello + phone" setup the more timeit takes to get started.

For cooling Tello its easiest to just start the motors using the combined stick command. Doesn't use much energy and gives time to play around at least on the first few runs so you get used to the processes.
But I agree, the more stuff you add to the basic "Tello + phone" setup the more timeit takes to get started.
I made this small self-ventilated support to cool the Tello during firmware updates and on the hottest days, before every flight after every battery change.

But honestly, even without it, I have never experienced problems with shutdown due to overheating.

I just tested Copilot and want to provide short feedback. I experience a recurring issue with the video signal. App connects successfully and for a couple of seconds video stream is working, then the picture freezes. The app itself stays connected and when I fly it also receives still telemetry (height, distance, battery level).. Just the image is frozen. App needs to be closed and reopened to get a video stream again for another couple of seconds.
Video stream on the TelloFPV App stays fine, no freezes there.

Used versions for TelloFPV: 1.3b, Copilot: 1.3a-copilot from Play Store (release date: 21.06.2019)
Used hardware: TelloFPV on Samsung Galaxy S9+ with latest Firmware, Copilot on Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, WIFI Repeater: Fritz!WLAN Repeater 450E
Test was done indoor, so distance between all involved devices is < 10m

What happens if you chose "reconnect" from the copilot menu?
have you tried to exchange the devices / apps (TelloFpv on Tab, and Coilot on phone)?

Reconnect has no effect, everything that changes with reconnect is that the number in brackets in the upper left corner increases by 1 for each time reconnect command is triggered. But the previously already frozen picture stays as it was before - not even a single refresh or any kind of change.
Switching the devices I did not test yet, but this I can try this out later today.

In the meantime I tried with switched devices and wasn't able to reproduce the freeze now for the duration of two full batteries. One flight session with onscreen controllers and one with the Gamesir , to check the impact of the additional bluetooth connection on the transmission behavior. As when it happened this morning, the phone also was running with the Gamesir.

Overall picture quality also was much better in this combination (less artefacts or other distortion). Maybe the Tablet has more power to serve the stream more stable to the phone than vice versa, I don't know.. But so far my test results.

Now, seeing it working constantly, it's really impressive. No recognizable lag between both screens, so can be definitely a good solution for master/student training with two screens. Great piece of software!

These are experimental versions. Lets see how well they work!

Should have less video delay at least on moderately powerful devices (down from 170-180ms to 130ms, or 25-30%), and hopefully less artifacts.

@andboga Please try this one, and if it doesn't work out of the box please enable the expert settings and play with the Codec Reset / Reuse options to check if you can find a working combination.

EDIT: Attachements removed, these are now superseded by v1.4

Attachments

• IMG_20190624_005945[1].jpg
    IMG_20190624_005945[1].jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reactions: Bruchpilot
Just released v1.4 of both TelloFpv Beta and Copilot (no beta).

This release one significantly reduces latency of the video, by almost 30%. Typical delay is now 125ms (on a S6). And it includes a few optimizations around the thread handling, and Copilot connection handling.

It also includes a few hidden settings to handle frozen video feeds. If you are affected by such an issue please let me know and I will guide you through the alternative solutions. As soon as I understand which of the alternative solutions works best with the least drawbacks it will be included in production build.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prplwtf