Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

I can understand, why volatello refuses to develop an iOS-App Tello VPF. The problem is that Apple is making it significantly harder for app developers to bring apps to the appstore. The cost is significantly higher than at the Google Playstore and if you're unlucky, your time-consuming and cost-developed app is rejected by Apple. Without any comprehensible reason. Buy yourself a decent Android smartphone. They are much better than ios devices ;).

Still I think @volate!lo has confirmed “ Project X” which is related to an iOS AND Android app for the Tello...

Reactions: volate!lo
There are two reasons for venturing into the Apple world:
One is hardware consistency and performance. I am a cheap guy when it comes to smartphones but I hate dealing with people using 6+ year old budget phones expecting stellar performance.
The other more important reason is the amount of software piracy in the Android world. Android makes it all too easy to hack an app and distribute it. An old version of TelloFpv has been circulating for 3 months now and I can see that very clearly in the revenue figures. A few releases ago I started adding really nasty pitfalls to make sure this does not happen again. But that isn't productive work - its wasted time that I'd rather spend developing some new functions.

Now Project X has a completely different architecture than TelloFpv, and large parts of it can be shared between IOS and Android. I will try to release on IOS but as mentioned by masju there is no guarantee that Apple accepts the app.

There are two reasons for venturing into the Apple world:
One is hardware consistency and performance. I am a cheap guy when it comes to smartphones but I hate dealing with people using 6+ year old budget phones expecting stellar performance.
The other more important reason is the amount of software piracy in the Android world. Android makes it all too easy to hack an app and distribute it. An old version of TelloFpv has been circulating for 3 months now and I can see that very clearly in the revenue figures. A few releases ago I started adding really nasty pitfalls to make sure this does not happen again. But that isn't productive work - its wasted time that I'd rather spend developing some new functions.

Now Project X has a completely different architecture than TelloFpv, and large parts of it can be shared between IOS and Android. I will try to release on IOS but as mentioned by masju there is no guarantee that Apple accepts the app.

What are the main features of iOS project X app? What can we expect?

I probably encounter 50/50 between iOS and Androids. What's ironic is DronBlocks only supports Tello on Android, other DJI only on iOS.

The reason I thought the program should be portable to iOS if written in Java is because Java is supposed to be a platform independent language. However it does depend on running a JVM for the platform in question which Apple has traditionally refused to allow. Personally I've hated Java based applications since the tighter Oracle tightens Java security, the worse it has been to get Java based web portals on IT hardware to work. Lately browsers tightening up on TLS protocol support has been a problem on older hardware, so I suppose I can't be mad at Oracle these days.

Here's an interesting article about Java on iOS: A plan to bring Java to iOS

Also consider Oracle has changed its licensing model for Java when commercially used, which may affect this project.

Just swappped from iOS to the android app. Well worth the money, with a range extender it’s almost as good. Just not quite as snappy to respond as the apple app. Maybe I can cure that in a setting?

What exactly do you mean by "snappy"?
Startup time of the app? Response time of the UI? Response time of the drone?

There just seems to be a lag between moving the virtual sticks, and the drone moving that wasn’t there on the original app. I only use mine for photographs so it’s not that big of a deal. I like the app.

My last control performance profiling is some time ago but we should be talking about maybe 5ms milliseconds from "touch" to "data packet sent".

Can you test that under defined conditions? Let the drone yaw around its axis at a meter altitude and then lift the finger. There should be no noticeable delay difference in stopping.
Throttle, pitch & roll are damped by Tello firmware so not useful for testing.

If its not so much a delay but more about the drone feeling a bit sluggish then it could be perceived delay caused by expo settings (which makes movement smoother). In that case open controller tuning, select the mode, and set the expo value for all axes to 0. Also set deadzone to 0.

I'm registered, paid, been using the app. Got a new phone, but all that downloaded from my backup was the demo app. When I try to download the paid app, it wants me to pay again. What to do?

Are you using the same Google account on the new phone?

Dumb question I guess but that's the only thing I can think of.

If you used the same account you should be able to download again (unless you received a refund of course).
Just try to purchase again, play store should say that you already own the app and restore access to it. you can back out right before payment.

could be that the backup/restore messed up your play store. maybe stop play store, clean out all play store data, and start the store again.

If nothing works contact google. I can't help because the problem is with their store

A question, but the function of (RTH) if used with active VGPS, Is the return home more accurate or has nothing to do with the VGPS module?

has nothing to do with each other. Both use VPS data

vGPS just fuses the data available from the VPS and the phone sensors to map the flight to the real world.

Reactions: raulvolador

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv