Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

You have to unlock vgps from the menu. Then you can test it and if it works for you then you can purchase it as an in-app purchase

Hey,

Got a tello coming for my kids (read: mostly for me) next week. Just a few questions on your app as I'm considering switching to it soon after I get to know the thing.

Was planning to install it first on my Galaxy S7. Planning to eventually just give that phone to the kids as a permanent controller once the S21 comes out next year. But in the meantime, was looking into installing the control apps on their older fire tablets. I *thought* I had read on here that someone had some success sideloading FPV onto one (?).

I don't know enough about android licensing... What is your licensing model? Per user or per device? Assuming the demo version works on both devices, once I buy it through Play on my Galaxy - can I extract the APK to put it on the fire? Do I need a separate license? Will that even work, or is the license dependent on Google Play being there?

Finally... your new geofencing feature looks awesome, especially for kids. How in the world does it work without GPS?? Are the sensors on the tello good enough to know, even with small winds, how far it has moved?? Is it just wifi signal strength (i.e. will that 30m geofence limit extend with a wifi extender?)?

Thanks - looks like a a great app, can't wait to give it a try!

Good morning,

the APP's license is bound to the Google Account for which it was bought in the Play Store and it requires a valid play store on the device on which it is run and the device must be bound to a Google account in order to work. If you have several devices linked to one Google account, the license you bought is valid for all these devices. If the devices are run under different Google Accounts, you have to buy/pay it per each account again in the Play Store (or try the demo first to ensure compatibility with the device before you buy the full version).

Tello can detect the moved distance based on its VPS sensors downwards by following the movement of the ground structures (personal advice after having made my experiences with it: Don't fly over water! Tello will start moving with the waves on the surface as it always assumes solid ground and thinks it has to compensate wind as soon as ground is moving when tello is just hovering).

WIFI extender will not falsify your data for geofence or flown distance and small winds usually are not an issue to the Tello.

Have fun and happy flights and landings.

Exactly what he said with one addition:
Side loading does not work, the app needs play store services or it wont work. So you need to side load play store first.
You can have multiple google accounts join a family group, and they can share their license if you set it so.

S7 works fine. S21 we will see.
I have seen major issues with the s20 but these seem to boil down to special Verizon branded models.

Funny: There are guys that managed TelloFPV to run on the DJI Smart Controller used for the Mavic 2 or Mavic Air 2. I didn't expect this to work, but maybe someone is interested in the approach. Its big bright display might definitely be a benefit.

I never bothered to officially support it. 650 Euro for a controller is out of proportion for a 80 Euro Drone
Unless one happens to own the SC already, but that is not the case for me.

Sure, this makes no sense for someone who is not already owning one. But if one is available, this is an idea I did not even consider yet to be possible.

would be interesting to see the range it gets.
AFAIK the SC isn't primarily a wifi device, the wifi is mainly for updates. So I guess it has a very simple wifi setup giving low range. But maybe I'm wrong

Should at least work the same well with an extender like cellphones.

Over at MavicPilots, using SC with Tello had been discussed, and DroneVally was able to get it to work. DV though could only get screen virtual sticks.
However in the Pilots discussion, they were able to enable sticks in Device Lab and have FPV see and connect to it.

Reactions: CallmeDash
Exactly what he said with one addition:
Side loading does not work, the app needs play store services or it wont work. So you need to side load play store first.
You can have multiple google accounts join a family group, and they can share their license if you set it so.

S7 works fine. S21 we will see.
I have seen major issues with the s20 but these seem to boil down to special Verizon branded models.
I can't get video on S20 FE with OEM Tello app or FPV. Fortunately I still have my HTC 10 and it does work with Tab S3, but a tablet mounted on GameSir is a pain

Over at MavicPilots, using SC with Tello had been discussed, and DroneVally was able to get it to work. DV though could only get screen virtual sticks.
However in the Pilots discussion, they were able to enable sticks in Device Lab and have FPV see and connect to it.
I know it can be done, I just won't spend 650 Euro to understand how :)
I can't get video on S20 FE with OEM Tello app or FPV. Fortunately I still have my HTC 10 and it does work with Tab S3, but a tablet mounted on GameSir is a pain
Sounds like a Verizon branded phone?

I know it can be done, I just won't spend 650 Euro to understand how :)

Sounds like a Verizon branded phone?
Perfectly understandable not to purchase the SC explicitly for this. I do have the Mavic 2 Zoom though. I also have the Mini 1, which if SC becomes compatible with MM2, I'll trade MM1 for 2 and then I'll have 1 controller for all three!

S20 FE is factory unlocked with T-mobile as my carrier.

Perfectly understandable not to purchase the SC explicitly for this. I do have the Mavic 2 Zoom though. I also have the Mini 1, which if SC becomes compatible with MM2, I'll trade MM1 for 2 and then I'll have 1 controller for all three!

One controller to rule them all!.

My tello is now always packed with my SC and M2Z.

Thank you Volite!lo for TelloFPV ?

there goes my theory about Verizon....

There are S20 FE models that work, and others that don't. can you give me the model number of your phone?

Hi @volate!lo,

A freak wave ruined my new Mini 2 and I'm returning to Tello - is there any way to use the Mini 2 controller and its direct connection to Android phone (Pixel 5) to improve my flight control without compromising video with Bluetooth connection (GameSir)?

Mini 2 uses Occusync 2/3, a proprietary protocol.
Tello uses standard WiFi protocol.
The two may use the same radio bands (actually MM2 can use 5.8Ghz band, Tello does not), but talk a different language.
Even "enhanced WiFi" that Mini 1 uses is not compatible with Tello.

Now some have managed to get the Smart Controller to work with the Tello, since the SC is a customized Android with Wifi, and with hidden settings map the joysticks to the app.

Reactions: zantarob
Mini 2 uses Occusync 2/3, a proprietary protocol.
Tello uses standard WiFi protocol.
The two may use the same radio bands (actually MM2 can use 5.8Ghz band, Tello does not), but talk a different language.
Even "enhanced WiFi" that Mini 1 uses is not compatible with Tello.

Now some have managed to get the Smart Controller to work with the Tello, since the SC is a customized Android with Wifi, and with hidden settings map the joysticks to the app.
Interesting... I had presumed with Mini 2, its the controller that talks to the drone (via Occusync) as opposed to Tello where its the Phone doing the talking - so maybey theres a way to use the Mini 2 controller in some sort of "Dummy Mode" to simply talk to Tello via TelloFPV?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv