Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New App: TelloMe for iOS

Can’t wait to try it out in better weather. Has been cold and windy last few days.

Thanks for developing an app for us iOS users.

Chris

Reactions: volate!lo
Just received Apple's blessing for v1.1.6, the update is available in the store

New:
Small manual
Experimental features (enable in settings): Orbit around persons, track arbitrary objects (patterns)

Fixed:
Connection stability improved

Changed:
This release requires iOS 13. That was the only way to enforce a device with the A9 chipset or later, which is required to achieve the performance required for acceptable tracking accuracy. Previously this requirement was only mentioned in the store entry.

Its strange that Apple does not allow to target an app to specific devices, given that they only have a handful. So I had to use this trick, sadly it will lock out anyone using iOS 12 on a recent device for some reason.
Originally I tried to include the "ARKit" requirement which would also enforce the A9 chipset but would allow iOS 12 but Apple says I can't do this. Oh boy, I just love this nanny company.

Reactions: wian_saint
Just received Apple's blessing for v1.1.6, the update is available in the store

New:
Small manual
Experimental features (enable in settings): Orbit around persons, track arbitrary objects (patterns)

Fixed:
Connection stability improved

Changed:
This release requires iOS 13. That was the only way to enforce a device with the A9 chipset or later, which is required to achieve the performance required for acceptable tracking accuracy. Previously this requirement was only mentioned in the store entry.

Its strange that Apple does not allow to target an app to specific devices, given that they only have a handful. So I had to use this trick, sadly it will lock out anyone using iOS 12 on a recent device for some reason.
Originally I tried to include the "ARKit" requirement which would also enforce the A9 chipset but would allow iOS 12 but Apple says I can't do this. Oh boy, I just love this nanny company.
Thanks for the update. Can’t wait to try it out - still too windy.

Yes, Apple can be restrictive but at least everything works. Have had an Apple phone ever since the 4S and have never had a single problem and they are all still working.

Chris

Did some more testing of this app all indoors in my house since we have been having windy days lately. I notice the app dims and and then goes to sleep loosing connection with phone when not touching the screen often like when having the Tello Follow Me. Is there anyway to have the app prevent the iPhone from dimming/sleeping when it is active? I know this is possible because I had the same problem when I was testing another flight app used for my DJI drones that did the same thing. The developer was able to release an update that corrected this problem and the app no longer dims/sleeps when it is active.

Regardless, thanks for a great app.

Chris

Did some more testing of this app all indoors in my house since we have been having windy days lately. I notice the app dims and and then goes to sleep loosing connection with phone when not touching the screen often like when having the Tello Follow Me. Is there anyway to have the app prevent the iPhone from dimming/sleeping when it is active? I know this is possible because I had the same problem when I was testing another flight app used for my DJI drones that did the same thing. The developer was able to release an update that corrected this problem and the app no longer dims/sleeps when it is active.

Regardless, thanks for a great app.

Chris
I thought I had done this already? Doesn't turn off for me. I will have a look

Object track is working even better than person track. :cool:

The tellow will be suddenly blowered away if wind comes. Is it possible to give tello more speed if tello detect that it was blowered away. I recognize that Tello can keep the position very good in sport mode.

The tellow will be suddenly blowered away if wind comes. Is it possible to give tello more speed if tello detect that it was blowered away. I recognize that Tello can keep the position very good in sport mode.
It might be able to follow better but the video would be unusable.

Depends. Track person can re-attach to a person if tracking failed for a few seconds, for example walking behind a tree. Track object typically can't do that.

computer vision can't work on shaky video so it's slow mode only.
If there is any wind just don't use TelloMe or you will loose the drone.

I thought I had done this already? Doesn't turn off for me. I will have a look
Not sure if it’s the auto lock in iOS settings. I haven’t had time to retest.
I’m using an iPhone XR with iOS 13.3.1 if that helps.
I think it’s the auto lock. I’ve tried 30seconds 2 and 3 minutes. But you can’t have your phone in low power mode with more than 30 seconds. The app is super fun regardless. Thanks all.

The new release as of today switches off the sleep timer, as long as its connected to Tello. If not connected the normal timeout applies.
Thanks,
Just checked, not on App Store yet but probably soon.

Did some testing yesterday and changed the lock screen setting to 5 min and this seemed to be a work-a-round as my phone stayed connected.

Chris

Tried out the new update today and it worked perfectly - my iPhone’s sleep timer didn’t activate while using the TelloMe app.

Thanks Volate!lo

Chris

Reactions: volate!lo
Yeah! After weeks of discussions with the Apple review team my app "TelloMe" for iOS has finally been released on the Apple store.

Its an app for just one thing:

Make Tello follow a face / person (or a small group of people).

Tello can follow from behind, or stay at a position relative to the person (profile mode: that is Tello can record a walking person from the side, or from ahead).
Tello can keep a constant distance, and keep the person in frame by adjusting to altitude changes.
Maximum speed is slow running and calm weather is required (computer vision requires image stabilization so it's slow video mode only).
Roadmap:
Make Tello fly circles & helix around a (walking) person or group.
Be able to identify and track one person even if other persons are closer & more prominent.

Link:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tellome/id1494624791?l=en&ls=1

And a bit more info:
No, this functionality will never become part of TelloFpv Android. This needs way more power than the average phone that TelloFpv users have. If I added this I'd have to lock out half of the user base. I know folks with powerful phones don't care but this just isn't a smart move for a small niche app like TelloFpv. That would simply be the end of TelloFpv.

Yes, I am working on a similar dedicated app for Android, but it will need at least the power of an S8 or maybe even S10 (not sure yet).

Yes, I am looking into TelloFpv IOS but it will be a full re-development and will start small with a reduced feature set.

Priorities between these two depend on the market perception of TelloMe.
Bear with me as this is a one-man show :)

Hello, first of all, sorry about my english, in second place I would like to make you a question, do you think this app could make de tello follow me in a motorcycle? I have a youtube motovlog and I would like to try it but I am kind of afraid to do it.
Thank you very much!

FYI:

TelloMe now on Android:

Reactions: xcrost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv