Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Appreciation for Tello

Chrislaf

Reaction score
When I originally got my Tello about 5 months ago, I intended to use it around the house and in the back yard when I couldn't fly my 'real' drones. I was amazed at how stable the VPS was in the house, but I quickly got bored of flying it around the house and actually enjoyed flying my $20 Eachine H8 mini (no VPS, no FPV) more since it was more of a challenge to keep it in the air. I did fly outside a few times in the winter but found that the lack of detail in the snow almost always made it difficult for the VPS to work and I was always fighting the Tello to keep it under control.

Now that the snow is gone and the weather has warmed up a bit, it is like night and day. The VPS works very well and even holds position quite well in some fairly windy conditions (as long as I keep it low). I am amazed at how versatile the Tello is. I have flown it along paths, under tree branches, and over streams taking videos and photos. I can fly my Tello almost anywhere and where I would never fly my Spark or Phantom 3 Standard. I have even had it to its max height of 30m.

What I like about the Tello is its simplicity - it's quick and easy to get in the air and unlike most people, I am glad it doesn't have an SD card slot on board (One less step to go through).

Chris

There are lots of things that could be added to make Tello better but then the price would start going up and the value of the Tello would decrease.

I don’t miss the SD card because I can easily create a movie on my iPhone with iMovie or edit photos with many other apps. If I need to transfer media to my computer I can just use AirDrop.

The value for Tello for me is as I said above - it’s simplicity (no computer needed). If I need more, I have my Spark or Phantom 3 Standard.

I would like to see Ryze work on firmware updates to improve features of existing hardware like improved WiFi transmission, a follow mode, pano mode, adding distance info to their app and releasing the SDK so that 3rd party developers like Drone Blocks/Tello EDU can add camera functions.

Chris

There are lots of things that could be added to make Tello better but then the price would start going up and the value of the Tello would decrease.

I don’t miss the SD card because I can easily create a movie on my iPhone with iMovie or edit photos with many other apps. If I need to transfer media to my computer I can just use AirDrop.

The value for Tello for me is as I said above - it’s simplicity (no computer needed). If I need more, I have my Spark or Phantom 3 Standard.

I would like to see Ryze work on firmware updates to improve features of existing hardware like improved WiFi transmission, a follow mode, pano mode, adding distance info to their app and releasing the SDK so that 3rd party developers like Drone Blocks/Tello EDU can add camera functions.

Chris
I totally agree. I have the same drones for my school coding club as you. My students are missing out on the cameras function in our coding activities.

Reactions: Chrislaf
{..}
I was amazed at how stable the VPS was in the house, but I quickly got bored of flying it around the house and actually enjoyed flying my $20 Eachine H8 mini (no VPS, no FPV) more since it was more of a challenge to keep it in the air.
{...}
What I like about the Tello is its simplicity - it's quick and easy to get in the air and unlike most people, I am glad it doesn't have an SD card slot on board (One less step to go through).{...}
Tello is supposed to be easy and fun to use AND look at it this way : your other drone while it is more RC fun if bored fingers requires constant attention and can crash easier if make user-input-error and it still reduces useful batterry flight time to be used for filming etc. Tello if wasn't so vulnerable to air flow changes would make very nicely done budget drone. Also doesn't it contain controller accessorie(s)? But unfortunetly small winds even make it lose control. Already almost lost and damaged drone due to it going sideways but managed to retrieve.

All you have to do: Take off prop guards, set max attitude angle to 25deg, switch into fast mode, rise quickly to at least 2m altitude (below 1.5-2m the max attitude is restricted).
Video will be shaky but Tello can handle a very stiff breeze - stroger than any other comparable drone I have seen.

Reactions: Putte
Tello is supposed to be easy and fun to use AND look at it this way : your other drone while it is more RC fun if bored fingers requires constant attention and can crash easier if make user-input-error and it still reduces useful batterry flight time to be used for filming etc. Tello if wasn't so vulnerable to air flow changes would make very nicely done budget drone. Also doesn't it contain controller accessorie(s)? But unfortunetly small winds even make it lose control. Already almost lost and damaged drone due to it going sideways but managed to retrieve.
Tello IS simple, easy and fun to use - that's what I like about it. All drones have their limitations. I don't think Ryze designed Tello to compete with bigger drones that have GPS and brushless motors otherwise the cost would be much higher. Yes, wind can be a concern for Tello just like it can be a concern for larger drones as well. Learning what the limits are, greatly helps in your enjoyment of Tello. When I got Tello, I already had a Spark and larger Phantom 3 Standard. I never expected Tello to handle as much wind as the larger drones could handle, but I have been very surprised at how strong a wind Tello can handle with the prop guards off. Where Tello shines for me is that I CAN fly Tello where I would not fly even my Spark which is a pretty small drone - Tello fills the gap! Conversely, I would NOT fly Tello where I usually fly my Spark or Phantom.

Chris

Reactions: dronecrone
I never expected Tello to handle as much wind as the larger drones could handle, but I have been very surprised at how strong a wind Tello can handle with the prop guards off.

Same here, it's amazing to me how well it holds station in stiff, shifting winds.

Speaking of wind... I almost lost my Phantom yesterday. Took off from the edge of a very large open field, with power lines, a highway, and trees behind me. I could see an ominous-looking storm front approaching from the west but the wind was calm at the moment, and I only wanted to fly a short while and get pictures of the storm front. Heading west over the field and ascending, about a 100 yards out, the leading edge of the wind that the storm was pushing in front of it hit hard. I turned it around, came back, and when I neutralized the controls to stop and descend, the thing flew past me like a rocket, headed right for the power lines and the trees... the wind had it. I firewalled the throttle and it ascended just missing the power lines, and crossing the highway it ascended just enough to miss some tall pines on the other side... and disappeared.

I hit RTH and watched the tablet display. When it turned around and pointed back towards home, I hit the gas - right stick full forward. When it popped up over the trees I was relieved, when I landed and it touched the ground, I was ecstatic!

Most terrifying 2 minutes of my drone life! - so far...

Last edited:
Reactions: Guorium
Such
Same here, it's amazing to me how well it holds station in stiff, shifting winds.

Speaking of wind... I almost lost my Phantom yesterday. Took off from the edge of a very large open field, with power lines, a highway, and trees behind me. I could see an ominous-looking storm front approaching from the west but the wind was calm at the moment, and I only wanted to fly a short while and get pictures of the storm front. Heading west over the field and ascending, about a 100 yards out, the leading edge of the wind that the storm was pushing in front of it hit hard. I turned it around, came back, and when I neutralized the controls to stop and descend, the thing flew past me like a rocket, headed right for the power lines and the trees... the wind had it. I firewalled the throttle and it ascended just missing the power lines, and crossing the highway it ascended just enough to miss some tall pines on the other side... and disappeared.

I hit RTH and watched the tablet display. When it turned around and pointed back towards home, I hit the gas - right stick full forward. When it popped up over the trees I was relieved, when I landed and it touched the ground, I was ecstatic!

such drama

Wow! Glad to hear you were able to get it back.

Chris

Reactions: umanbean
Yesterday, I was reading/watching some reviews of the Tello and all were favourable. I was surprised that many of them mentioned that Tello was only good for indoor flying or outside with no wind.

Today, I was out with my Tello again. Wind, according to UAV Forecast was about 7-10 km/h with gusts around 25 - 30 km/h. I flew along a trail at one location and around the overgrown ruins of an old barn at another location. I kept Tello at a height of between 2-5m at both locations and only on my third flight was Tello becoming harder to control as the wind gusts increased in strength.

For me, this is where Tello will be perfect for my uses. I don't need Tello to go high or 100s of metres away as I have my other two GPS drones for that - Tello fills a gap that was there before!

Chris

For me, this is where Tello will be perfect for my uses. I don't need Tello to go high or 100s of metres away as I have my other two GPS drones for that - Tello fills a gap that was there before!
Well said! That describes Tello's niche perfectly. Sometimes it seems too many people expect too much out of this little marvel.

I enjoy it for what it is, and revel in "our" new app! (y)

Yesterday, I was reading/watching some reviews of the Tello and all were favourable. I was surprised that many of them mentioned that Tello was only good for indoor flying or outside with no wind.

Today, I was out with my Tello again. Wind, according to UAV Forecast was about 7-10 km/h with gusts around 25 - 30 km/h. I flew along a trail at one location and around the overgrown ruins of an old barn at another location. I kept Tello at a height of between 2-5m at both locations and only on my third flight was Tello becoming harder to control as the wind gusts increased in strength.

Chris
Majority of tello’s user base is clueless and don’t read them manual. Sad but true. Reflected by their poor reviews.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv