Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New drone for christmas and cant get a picture? Can anyone help?

ACMacey

Reaction score
We have purchased a drone as a xmas present. We have set it all up but cant get a picture? It also wont let us switch between video and picture?

Strange... Please activate airplane mode on the phone, then re-activate only wifi, connect to Tello and start the app.

If that fails please download the TelloFpv demo and check if this works, or gives an error.

Reactions: ACMacey
Strange... Please activate airplane mode on the phone, then re-activate only wifi, connect to Tello and start the app.

If that fails please download the TelloFpv demo and check if this works, or gives an error.

Hi, so I managed to connect it and then activated airplane mode and it worked! Hooray! Why is this not in any instructions?

And why does it only work in airplane mode?

Thanks for your help!!

Android phones use only to Wifi _or_ cellular for sending / receiving data (not exactly true, but ok for explanation) .

If connected to a wifi that does not provide access to the internet the phone falls back to cellular (even though still connected to the wifi). Basically the app tries to talk to Tello, but all data is sent to the cellular instead of the local wifi. Most phones do not allow any connection at all if cellular is on.

Now your S10 is a bit special because it seems to keep the connection from phone to drone alive even with cellular active, but ignores the connection requests from the drone to the phone (for video).
Anyway, not important. It works, and the boy will be happy.
If he has his own phone keep in mind that Ryze app is picky. Most Motorola don't work, just as Android X phones.

No clue if its in the manual. I never read manuals...

Still a bad habit for someone who always writes RTFM

Actually I would read useful manuals (when I was a kid I loved reading the manual of new gadgets like a VCR), but nowadays its 80% just "warning! Inattentive use of a chainsaw may lead to loss of body parts" and just 20% real content.
Plus most current manuals look like .... .. .. ..... .. .. .... ...... :-( And that is not just because I am older and need glasses. When I was a kid the printing resolution was too coarse for the font size used these days.

Still a bad habit for someone who always writes RTFM

Actually I would read useful manuals (when I was a kid I loved reading the manual of new gadgets like a VCR), but nowadays its 80% just "warning! Inattentive use of a chainsaw may lead to loss of body parts" and just 20% real content.
Plus most current manuals look like .... .. .. ..... .. .. .... ...... :-( And that is not just because I am older and need glasses. When I was a kid the printing resolution was too coarse for the font size used these days.
Is there a location that you post the .pdf of the latest version of your TelloFPV manual? I like a hard copy. The latest version that I have is V1.5 and in the app it looks like the latest .pdf is V1.6a, but I can't find it. Thanks.

Is there a location that you post the .pdf of the latest version of your TelloFPV manual? I like a hard copy. The latest version that I have is V1.5 and in the app it looks like the latest .pdf is V1.6a, but I can't find it. Thanks.

No need to chase every single version. The only difference between 1.5 and 1.6 is the description around headless mode

No need to chase every single version. The only difference between 1.5 and 1.6 is the description around headless mode
Ok, thanks. But is there somewhere that the .pdf file would be located, if and when you add other features? I had the v1.10 and then downloaded the V1.5 which was 6 pages more. By the way, your app is fantastic. Thanks.

No place, I don't want to maintain any online presence (too many legal issues here, with data privacy rules and all that) :-(
But you can just open the PDF on your phone and almost all PDF viewers will have a "share" function which you can use to send it to yourself via email.

Last edited:
No place, I don't want to maintain any only presence (too many legal issues here, with data privacy rules and all that) :-(
But you can just open the PDF on your phone and almost all PDF viewers will have a "share" function which you can use to send it to yourself via email.
Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv