Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New European regulation & Dji Tello..

Flydrone

Reaction score
From June 2020
EASA confirmation on drone registration with a device capable of capturing personal data
This is how even an 80 gram micro drone like the DJI TELLO will force its user to register.

volate!lo

Reaction score
foundit:

Registration required if "less then 250g when it is not a toy and it is equipped with a sensor able to capture personal data"

Tello is not a tool, so its a toy. But that may change anytime.

Reactions: Flydrone

volate!lo

Reaction score
not good. but we shall see if / when this is implemented in national law. In Germany there is currently AFAIK no process pending for changing existing laws.

Personally I consider Tello a Toy, and just because some website says its not a toy doesn't mean much. BTW: My boxes are all labelled "age 14+" which following their arguments makes it a toy.

Flydrone

Reaction score
This is only because the Tello is 14+ and mounts a camera ... in Italy from what I understand it is not accepted as a toy drone.
we'll see what happens with this new regulation.

martinpi2

Reaction score
Soon it will be 2021 and the new regulations will be in force.

Classification depends (among weight, speed,..) on the CE symbol.
I find it hard to believe, but on my Tello EDU there is no CE symbol.
I wonder how they can sell the product without a CE symbol.
The manual (something nobody reads) has no "conformity"-section (the one that not even the ones read who otherwise read a manual).

Tello's camera is a tricky thing in terms of regulations. An FPV camera does not count as a sensor to gain personal data. The photo or video is not recorded on-board (probably for this reason). But you can record it on the ground.

Anyway, if you fly any other model aircraft such as a glider or an aerobatic plane, the regulations for drones apply and you have to register and take the test if any of your models weigh 250g or more.
Regardless if you would refer to it as a drone or not. Regardless if it has a camera or not.
I guess not many RC-pilots know. If one of your friends is an RC-pilot, give him or her a hint.

You do not register your models or drones, you register as a person. You have to write your personal registration number on all of your models and drones.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrapsnacker