Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Flyer questions (kinda crosspost)

xell

Reaction score
Just putting this somewhere more relevent:

So I just got a Tello and I pick it up from amazon. I didn't know there was a different EDU version (not listed on amazon) so I just got the normal one. Only now i find out that the EDU one has a "better sdk" and can connect to a LAN instead of only it's own WIFI.
So can my tello not connect to my lan? That seems lame.
Do i return this one and buy the edu from the store instead of amazon?

It's pretty neat but the most important part is being able to code for it and mod it and if i can't do that... well.. bah.

I see there are plenty of libs for tello but do i need to have the EDU version to use it?

Thanks in advance!

you can still code the "normal" tello using the SDK with your computer connected to the Tello wifi.

What you can't use is station mode (that is, Tello connects to an existing Wifi instead of being it's own access point) and mission pads. These are only available for the EDU version

Reactions: xell
Ok so I'll just use one of my raspberry pi's to work on it then. Have the pi connected via eth0 to the lan and it's wlan0 connects to the tello.
Are there decent guides? Does the Tello have a static address on it's own access point that i'd point commands to? Are they just sent through gets and puts API style?

Thanks again!

The SDK just consists of simple text commands sent via UDP to a fixed address and responses sent back by Tello also via UDP

There are many "wrappers" for different programming languages.

But honestly I never used the SDK beyond a simple take-off & land experiment

But honestly I never used the SDK beyond a simple take-off & land experiment
That begs the question of how far you managed to reverse-engineer the lower level stuff and how far you regard your efforts as proprietary :)

The low level protocol is somewhat documented in TelloLib. That's at least a starting point for people wanting to develop their own apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv