Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Pilot from Portugal - Amazing Tello - Loved it!

Jet Lag

Reaction score
Greetings from Portugal!
I love everything that flies except for rocks.
As I really enjoy making movies, I've tried a few drones but I've only had a chance with low-end drones.
I ventured to invest in a Tello and ... Woooow!
Amazing little drone that is small enough to carry and does not cause panic in the population - "oh my god, a malefic drone that will attack the passenger planes and shoot our private life!".

I am simply amazed by the stability and quality of the video of this little drone, even with light winds!

I used from the start with Xiaomi's wifi repeater 2 and with the phone always in flight mode.
Almost almost perfect, you could not ask for more with a drone of this price! A real change of game!
It would be perfect if you had a micro SD card slot in the drone itself.

The best of Tello:
-Quality / stabilization of the video
-Small size / practical for transport
-Flight time
- Position sensors / drone stability
-The under-informed population does not panic, as if they had seen Gozilla
- It is not necessary to carry a transmitter, it is well controlled by the mobile phone
- Record the movies directly on the phone that can soon be edited and cut with a very good app

The worst of Tello:
- Loss of frames in the video with the distance or interferences in the wifi
-Do not have micro SD card
-Short range

Rating: anyone who wants a good platform to film at a short range, easy to carry, not scary as the "end of the world in a shape of a drone", at a low price, the Tello is 9.5 out of 10!. Almost perfect!
Just love it!

Other experiences with drones:
-Furibee F36: the "must have" at a price of 8 dollars, we can even fly in the bathroom before leaving for work. Essential for friends to try without destroying the drones we like best. 9/10 because the battery lasts very little time.

-Hubsan H502E: cheap, GPS and RTH, reach more than 350 meters away more than 120 meters altitude. Camcorder with medium / low quality. 7/10 because it is very unstable with the wind and the filming is too shaky. Camera could have a bit more quality.

-Syma X8G: no electronic aids but with a very stable flight and can carry a gopro type camera. With a good flight experience you can get some good footage. Reach of more than 300 meters. 7/10 because of brushed motors and no electronic help.

-F450: I built a DIY with Arducopter controller, telemetry, GPS, connection to groundstation. Fabulous to learn a lot! Only need to mount Gimbal for the camera. Unfortunately, with the new laws that will take effect, you will have to pay mandatory insurance ... still do not know what I'm going to do with it :( 8/10 for the versatility of the arducopter controller but you need hard skills to build and configure. Not for every people.

Greetings to all

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to our forum .Hope you find all the resources you seek and look forward
to any photos or videos you might post .
Any issues just ask.
Enjoy (y)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Tello Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Tello quadcopters.
Enjoy!

Greetings from Portugal!
I love everything that flies except for rocks.
As I really enjoy making movies, I've tried a few drones but I've only had a chance with low-end drones.
I ventured to invest in a Tello and ... Woooow!
Amazing little drone that is small enough to carry and does not cause panic in the population - "oh my god, a malefic drone that will attack the passenger planes and shoot our private life!".

I am simply amazed by the stability and quality of the video of this little drone, even with light winds!

I used from the start with Xiaomi's wifi repeater 2 and with the phone always in flight mode.
Almost almost perfect, you could not ask for more with a drone of this price! A real change of game!
It would be perfect if you had a micro SD card slot in the drone itself.

The best of Tello:
-Quality / stabilization of the video
-Small size / practical for transport
-Flight time
- Position sensors / drone stability
-The under-informed population does not panic, as if they had seen Gozilla
- It is not necessary to carry a transmitter, it is well controlled by the mobile phone
- Record the movies directly on the phone that can soon be edited and cut with a very good app

The worst of Tello:
- Loss of frames in the video with the distance or interferences in the wifi
-Do not have micro SD card
-Short range

Rating: anyone who wants a good platform to film at a short range, easy to carry, not scary as the "end of the world in a shape of a drone", at a low price, the Tello is 9.5 out of 10!. Almost perfect!
Just love it!

Other experiences with drones:
-Furibee F36: the "must have" at a price of 8 dollars, we can even fly in the bathroom before leaving for work. Essential for friends to try without destroying the drones we like best. 9/10 because the battery lasts very little time.

-Hubsan H502E: cheap, GPS and RTH, reach more than 350 meters away more than 120 meters altitude. Camcorder with medium / low quality. 7/10 because it is very unstable with the wind and the filming is too shaky. Camera could have a bit more quality.

-Syma X8G: no electronic aids but with a very stable flight and can carry a gopro type camera. With a good flight experience you can get some good footage. Reach of more than 300 meters. 7/10 because of brushed motors and no electronic help.

-F450: I built a DIY with Arducopter controller, telemetry, GPS, connection to groundstation. Fabulous to learn a lot! Only need to mount Gimbal for the camera. Unfortunately, with the new laws that will take effect, you will have to pay mandatory insurance ... still do not know what I'm going to do with it :( 8/10 for the versatility of the arducopter controller but you need hard skills to build and configure. Not for every people.

Greetings to all

Welcome to the Forum Jet Lag

you 've been talking rightly about the public perception of drone flying & the advantages of useing tello in this context. I will travel your beautiful country in autumn & would like to take my tello with me - any problems flying tello in Portugal - do's & don't s ?

Hi,
When are you planning to come to Portugal? Many changes and new laws have been taking place.
But to begin to help, the ideal is to download the official App for Android with the name "Voa na boa" (that means "Flight Cool"). It is an official app from ANAC, which is the entity that manages civil aviation.
Unfortunately the App is only in Portuguese but it is very simple: it shows the map of Portugal and by the colors we know where we can fly freely, where it is obligatory to make an official request and where it is expressly forbidden to fly.
There are more rules for example, less than 250g can never fly more than 30 meters in altitude).

The official web site of the app is Voa na boa
or
RPA_Drones

I do not know if there is a version of the sites in English (I am on the phone, I can not find it).

But try to understand the logic of the App and any questions you may have.

The laws and regulations of ANAC are even good for drone amateurs and have been made with good judgment and without "destroying" the possibility of flight.

The biggest problem in Portugal, in my point of view, are the laws for filming and aerial photography ... Any photograph or filming, anywhere, must have prior authorization from another official entity of the Portuguese Air Force ... where if you have to ask in advance and with detail of the location you want to shoot. Simply ridiculous and archaic. It looks like a law out of stone age.
If we're going to walk, how can we predict what we're going to shoot? Ridiculous.

A lot of people shoot without asking for permission but without giving much in the sights.

But beware: it is really to avoid flying in the forbidden areas. There have been some problems and public opinion and authorities are aware.

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Wi
This is the app in playstore:Screenshot_20180825-001114.jpg

This exemple is in Lisboa, the Capital:
Screenshot_20180825-000713.jpg

You click in diferent areas/colors and appears the information.
Red: not allowed
Screenshot_20180825-000730.jpg

Orange: militarily jurisdictions. Only allow if you ask for permission
Light blue: allowed but with restrictions (max altitude 60 meters, for exemple )
Screenshot_20180825-000747.jpg

Light orange: National Parks, only with previous permission (very difficult to have)
No color : free flight but max altitude is 120 meters
Screenshot_20180825-000849.jpg

Note: drones with less than 250g are not allowed to fly more than 30 meters high(perfect for the Tello :) )
Drones with more than 250g can fly to 120 meters in "free areas" (no color)
I wope this can help you.
Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Wi
Hi Jet Lag
I will be in Portugal in November. Thank you very much for the links & detailed explanations ????

-mike

Reactions: Jet Lag
Hi Jet Lag !

I'm from Portugal too, Porto area. Thanks for the App from ANAC, I didn't know about it.

Reactions: Jet Lag

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv