Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Tello Owner

Dingleberry

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new Tello EDU owner. I've got some experience coding for 3D printers, and a lot of experience coding C/C++ for bigger systems. I'm looking forward to getting the drone up and running and then hopefully using it as a platform to encourage my 6 year old to do some simple coding. Also, some fun with dad.

I could roll my own UDP client but I think there are likely some very popular clients already out there. I'll be looking to see what people are using. We can use ChromeOS, Win10, or Linux here pretty easily.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Kyle Knox
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .(y)

Well, sadly about 3 hours in the kid was able to somehow destroy the drone, so if there is a source of spare parts ...

This is beyond props, I have to disassemble it but it might need a main board or something. The frame is also cracked. Yes, I'm also amazed, and a little shocked at both his destructive capabilities and the apparent lack of robustness. It appears he was a bit 'enthusiastic' and fumbled in plugging in the charger, and the rest, as they say, is history. He has several other devices that use the same micro-USB charger plug, and he's had no issues with those, so while it's probably mostly him I hesitate to say it was 100% his deal.

It's possible I can remove/desolder the charge plug and just use an external charger, but I don't have time to dig into it right now. Anyway, one reason I went DJI was my supposition that spare parts would be available. I didn't plan on testing the theory quite so soon, but here we are.

Thanks.

and the apparent lack of robustness.
IMO the Tello is quite robust. Mine has crashed into walls, cabinets, and even the kitchen sink and a ceiling fan... still chugging along.

You can buy external chargers... I have the oem 3 bay, and a Smatree DT30 ( charges three simultaneously) from amazon.

Reactions: Kyle Knox
IMO the Tello is quite robust.

I was referring to the construction of the case and associated electronics around the charge port. It seem(ed) pretty stable and didn't seem to be very crash prone, so that was good. I believe he got 3 flights on it and the charge port mishap was the 4th charge cycle.

I was referring to the construction of the case and associated electronics around the charge port. It seem(ed) pretty stable and didn't seem to be very crash prone, so that was good. I believe he got 3 flights on it and the charge port mishap was the 4th charge cycle.
I have 6 Tellos for my club of 4th/5th graders. The charging port on them is a little snug, sho I can see where it might feel like it's lined up, but isn't, then damage happens. I have the same multi charger that umabeam was taking about, it's very inexpensive, and you could probably continue using the drone with it, and not have to try to resolder.

I have the same multi charger that umabeam was taking about, it's very inexpensive, and you could probably continue using the drone with it, and not have to try to resolder.

I'll try that later. The case is cracked a bit but I think, if the board is undamaged outside the USB connector we might be able to salvage the little fella. I'll report back when I have time to open the case and inspect.

EDIT:

What happened (apparently, as told by a tearful 6 year old) was that he was trying to plug it in and "it turned", the USB connector was mangled/bent and the case is cracked near the port. Kids get excited, and I was working and didn't supervise adequately. I just dropped the 3 slot charger into my Amazon cart.

Wish us luck ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: umanbean and xcrost
Hi and welcome,
Your boy didn't waste time to challenge it.

The Tello is very appreciated and quite well rated on this forum as you can guess and part of this is because of its robustness.

Unfortunately because of its (relatively) cheap price Dji/Ryze doesn't provide parts, however you can find motors, propelers and very few parts on Aliexpress.

Best of luck for your future flights and charging.

Last edited:
We received the external charger, I pulled the case apart and cleaned up the wreckage of the micro-USB, and lo, it still flies. Working on getting the Game remote to work still but it's not dead at least.

Reactions: xcrost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv