Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New to drones

judoka

Reaction score
I have thought about getting a drone for a while now, eyeballing them anytime I see them in stores and looking at all the different models. It my be just because it's winter and I'm bored since I can't get the HD out and ride but I have decided that now is the time to get a drone. I have learned over the years that the best way to do some research ahead of time and get a lot of good tips and advice after purchasing a new item is to join a discussion board.

I'd really like to go all out and get a really good one but with zero experience with aerial RC vehicles I don't want to crash a really good one. :LOL: After a fair bit of research I have decided to order the Tello. It seems to be the best option out there for something that's not too chintzy but also not terribly expensive to learn with. I'm looking forward to getting this thing and learning to fly.

Welcome.

I agree, you can learn a lot and save yourself some grief by doing research on various forums.

As far as a starter drone I think the Tello is a good place to start. Another good one is the Holystone HS160 (comes with a controller and is nearly indestructible).

I'd recommend getting a controller if you go with the Tello (a lot of people use the Gamesir T1d) since it gets you use to handling the controls sticks in the way you would with larger drones. It's fun to fly, takes decent pictures and it's pretty sturdy so when you crash it (I didn't say if but when :) ) it holds up pretty well.

Things to be careful of when first flying are finding a relatively open space (front/back yard) and calm winds. Your depth perception will need to get tune for making judgements about how close/far you are from an object. In the beginning give obstacles a wide berth.

Of course there are the important rules of no flying in controlled airspace (basically no flying within 5 miles of an airport), remain under 400' (you're not going to flying above about 30 feet with the Tello or HS160), no flying over people and keep the drone within line of sight (you'll probably be more limited by wifi distance before you get beyond line of sight).

Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . (y)

Reactions: judoka
Hi,I don't post on here often but have been flying drones crash free for over a year now and have,well,a few of the **** things and have learnt a lot in that short time. The Tello is a good little drone but doesn't cope well with wind,so be ready to pop into sport mode if if it gets dragged away. Many users report issues with the Gamesir controller and the Tello because of the Bluetooth link,I've never had an issue with it,but experts like Volatello don't recommend it.I have the advantage of flying in wifi free countryside,so can't comment on issues that may arise with the Tello,nearby wifi and Bluetooth related problems. Simply take care,remember it's a tiny ,light drone,keep it close to you,lessons learnt on the Tello are invaluable for the time when you move on to bigger,more powerful drones.All the best,Andy

Reactions: akward59 and judoka
I got it yesterday afternoon and unpacked after work. I was able to get the batteries charged up and get a couple outdoor flights in before dusk and then a couple flights in my outbuilding(72'x48' with 16' ceiling) after that.

My first impression is that it seems to be solidly built and I had no problem getting it up and running (I am in IT though so I don't generally have any trouble with technology unless it's really poor quality). The camera is good enough for fun videos to throw up on social media...exactly what I would expect at this price point. I was able to get it flying and use some of the flight modes to get videos within almost no time after firing it up.

Outdoor flight was pretty stable with a very light wind, maybe up to 5mph or so. I did find that as the sun went down it became much less stable and got pushed around by the wind a lot more and then started with the ambient light warnings. I was flying in slow speed so fast may have helped a bit in the wind. In the building it did very well with plenty of lights on. I was able to fly up into the rafters and get some cool 360 videos. I tried fast mode a little bit during my last indoor flight, a noticeable difference from slow.

Overall I think I'll be happy with this as a starter drone. It seems like a good way for someone to get a taste of what a drone can do and decide if it's something they want to get into deeper. If it's something that you lose interest in after a week or two your not out that much and may still get it out for entertainment once in a while. If you decide to move up to a bigger, better drone this one could still have a place as an indoor rainy day flyer. Personally I am already thinking I need to research bigger, better and start saving a few bucks for the next drone :unsure:

Mavic Mini next? Another great drone and it has a good camera which works well in low light plus it has the all important image stability. Like the Tello it doesn't combat the wind well but common sense will tell you that if you were to pick one up,and it has an all too often ignored wind speed warning!! Soon as I see that down it comes?

Reactions: akward59
I have thought about getting a drone for a while now, eyeballing them anytime I see them in stores and looking at all the different models. It my be just because it's winter and I'm bored since I can't get the HD out and ride but I have decided that now is the time to get a drone. I have learned over the years that the best way to do some research ahead of time and get a lot of good tips and advice after purchasing a new item is to join a discussion board.

I'd really like to go all out and get a really good one but with zero experience with aerial RC vehicles I don't want to crash a really good one. :LOL: After a fair bit of research I have decided to order the Tello. It seems to be the best option out there for something that's not too chintzy but also not terribly expensive to learn with. I'm looking forward to getting this thing and learning to fly.

Welcome to the forum and the world of Tello Drones.

These guys are absolutely right. Tello Drones are definitely the best little drone. Good choice. Get a controller and the FTP app. You'll have lots of fun. I highly recommend getting prop guards and props for the new Ironman edition, put them on the front. Red makes it easier to see, and you can tell instantly which direction you are facing. Watch out for trees.

Pilot 47

Attachments

• 20190614_185151.jpg
    20190614_185151.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: umanbean
Welcome to the forum and the world of Tello Drones.

These guys are absolutely right. Tello Drones are definitely the best little drone. Good choice. Get a controller and the FTP app. You'll have lots of fun. I highly recommend getting prop guards and props for the new Ironman edition, put them on the front. Red makes it easier to see, and you can tell instantly which direction you are facing. Watch out for trees.

Pilot 47
trees and prop guards are mutually exclusive.
The prop guards are also known as tree magnets and should be off when flying outside (also because of much improved wind resistance)

Mavic Mini next? Another great drone and it has a good camera which works well in low light plus it has the all important image stability. Like the Tello it doesn't combat the wind well but common sense will tell you that if you were to pick one up,and it has an all too often ignored wind speed warning!! Soon as I see that down it comes?
Before the Mini came out, I thought I wanted one. But after reading, shopping, and thinking about it since, I've changed my mind. I'm sure it's a great little quad, but I've decided to go with at least an Air (refurb from DroneNerds, DJI certified)... or possibly even a Pro Platinum.

Prices on certified refurb Mavics have come down lately, and I had good luck with dronenerds (ebay) with my first 'big' drone, a phantom 3 standard.

I'm not dissing or putting down the Mini by any means, I know it's another fine example of applied modern technology, and if I had my hands on one for a couple of days I'd fall in love and have to have one.... but if the stars all align and someday Volate!lo can write a full-fledged flight app for it, I'm in for sure!

I must admit to being tempted by the Air/Pro 2 but the Mrs would get slightly stressed at another gadget/drone in the house:Dand I'm running out of space to store all my stuff!!!!

I think if, or more likely when, I move up it will be a few steps up the ladder to something like the M2P or M2Z. I believe I would want to get something that is a big step up in range and in dealing with the wind. I live in the country so there are plenty of fields around full of wildlife to fly over and explore and there is almost always at least a little wind.

I'll probably play around with this one for a while and get it connected to the WiFi extender for a little more range. I'll see how much I can do with this, think about the possibilities with various bigger options and make the call from there about what's next. On a positive note I showed the Mrs. and she thought it was pretty neat and the pictures and videos from it were cool so she may be on board with an upgrade?

Reactions: Bonktastic
Well...that didn't take long. There may already be a Mavic Pro in the USPS on it's way to my house. ?

I really like the Tello for flying around in my building and can probably have some fun flying around obstacles inside there. The problem is that I was able to fly outside long enough to see what the possibilities are but there is almost constantly wind at my house which is always going to really limit my outside flying time. Even when there is no wind in town we usually have at least 5+mph around the house. I think if I lived somewhere with a little bit more around for a wind break it would have delayed an upgrade but I'm not sure how long...?

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom, it’s a bit boring compared to the mayhem of an out of control Tello. Welcome to the forum.

trees and prop guards are mutually exclusive.
The prop guards are also known as tree magnets and should be off when flying outside (also because of much improved wind resistance)
Definitely take them off...... Once you are used to flying it a little bit, You're still going to crash anyway. , remember Fly, Crash, Repair and Repeat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv