Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New to Forum, Ordering 4th Tello Tomorrow

hrduke

Reaction score
First UAV October 2018 Promark GPS 70 from Walmart

actually flew decently once I finally gave up on the official manual....youtube tutorials basicly said to Fly with all of the extras disabled.

Now it would take off....better than expected video....stable

If Video link went down...bird could be out of range before app was reset......

I looked for half day or better on first loss....took tractor with front end loader , ladder, saw to retrieve unit

2nd Flyaway I Got a 6 pack of my Favorite Drown your sorrows and or Best thing that ever happened was her leaving me Beverage...Got in Polaris Razor...rode through my property....surronding neighbors property

(its nice having good neighbors in a rural setting)

No Promark to be found and the beverages were running low...so I went home.

About a week later it was DJI Spark with controller 399.00 from walmart again. WOW...WOW..WOW

It too had controller connection issues with every Android I paired but ALWAYS came back home

As it was hard to see in low light conditions I bought a set of "lighted props" off ebay.

They look good....but that little voice in my head kept saying BAD IDEA when I tried to put them on and they "almost fit"

Just a bit of filing and we were good to go...and return for several flights

On its last flight with the props it stated loosing altitude FAST...and I could raise it a moment or two and loose again....after 4 times I lost connection.

The DJI Flight logs in my phone along with a hand held Garmin GPS took me to within 6 ft of where I interpreted the logs showing it lost telemetry with....As it was dark in a rural setting with not a lot of lights to orient with the on phone video cash was not of help.

When I picked it up it was on its back with 3 props in tact...one was broken

To this day I cant prove if the prop failed and caused this...or if it broke on impact. It was outdoors 4 nites before I figured out enough of DJIs black box in DJI Assistant to get on phone telemetry.

Original props went on...let it dry out 3 days in a warm place..NO BATTERY....VERY IMPORTANT.... wet electronics might work if you let them dry completly....almost guaranteed to die if powered still wet.

Turned on..factory reset...calibrated IMU and she still gets the most fly time..

Before turning the recovered Spark on I went full boat and got the Phantom 4 Pro V 2.0.

I dont have proper vocabulary to describe what this craft can do...and I havent used many of its flight modes.

I can say that I have ranges of about 3/4 those listed as "Max under no interference" DJI Specs. Battery time better than 3/4 possible.

Tello Experience.

I wasnt looking for a starter drone but youtube drone videos were playing in the background more than I care to admit and I caught enough to interest me.

DJI technology...85 bucks at local walmart.....13 mins fly time I thought great having experience on the Spark with ony 16 mins max time.

It was fun to fly in a different way....at the hundred dollar price point the worry factor is much less than it is when you experience 3 miles out with a 1500 dollar craft :)

The first two I ended up giving to local kids whose familys had gone through hardship. I had old androids that worked and hey....I just hope the kids got their mind off the life issues the familys had been delt.

3rd one is in a tree 20 ft from my back door. I got brave flying it with the Gamesir Controller...Wind gusts...a tall tree....pilot overconfidence (ego) and I have video on phone that continues even after its at top of tree looking down.

I could not see it by eye from ground...old....thick branches ....

The Spark with a needed Pilot Attitude adjustment and a good respect for DJI's collision system avoidance I was able to confirm where it was.

I missed its capabilitys and with the aftermarket apps available its time to Tello again :)

I welcome your advice on controllers available today...

I have a Gamesir 1 that was a pain to link.......

I understand the FPV app can use a Parrot 2 controller ???

There seems to be a Gamesir 2 controller

Mad Catz has one per Drone Valley review....but I cant find anything comparing the different controllers

I hope to use a 9.7 Ipad that i think just updated from 12 to 13

I see limited posts saying playstation controllers will work on IOS 13

My experience with Android and DJI was hit and miss...not consistent even with Galaxy Tablets and phones.

The day I went IOS I began to really enjoy flying.... It was my first Apple device...Android served me well for years in whatever I chose to do with it. Android phone still but IOS for me just works for the birds.

I hope to grow along with the rest of the community in showing how much can be done with a 100.00 "toy"...... I remember a time this "toy" was Science Fiction Fantasy....now kids of 12 years old are learning programing and 52 year old kids are beginning to learn new tricks as well.

Lastly...if anyone is still awake after my less than a year flying history

DO NOT BUY LIGHTED PROPS that are cheaper than what it would cost to return them to China...I'm sure reliable ones will come to be...i choose to wait :)

Attachments

• 20190123_065048.jpg
    20190123_065048.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20190123_071823.jpg
    20190123_071823.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0574.jpg
    IMAG0574.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • ghd.jpg
    ghd.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . (y)

First UAV October 2018 Promark GPS 70 from Walmart

actually flew decently once I finally gave up on the official manual....youtube tutorials basicly said to Fly with all of the extras disabled.

Now it would take off....better than expected video....stable

If Video link went down...bird could be out of range before app was reset......

I looked for half day or better on first loss....took tractor with front end loader , ladder, saw to retrieve unit

2nd Flyaway I Got a 6 pack of my Favorite Drown your sorrows and or Best thing that ever happened was her leaving me Beverage...Got in Polaris Razor...rode through my property....surronding neighbors property

(its nice having good neighbors in a rural setting)

No Promark to be found and the beverages were running low...so I went home.

About a week later it was DJI Spark with controller 399.00 from walmart again. WOW...WOW..WOW

It too had controller connection issues with every Android I paired but ALWAYS came back home

As it was hard to see in low light conditions I bought a set of "lighted props" off ebay.

They look good....but that little voice in my head kept saying BAD IDEA when I tried to put them on and they "almost fit"

Just a bit of filing and we were good to go...and return for several flights

On its last flight with the props it stated loosing altitude FAST...and I could raise it a moment or two and loose again....after 4 times I lost connection.

The DJI Flight logs in my phone along with a hand held Garmin GPS took me to within 6 ft of where I interpreted the logs showing it lost telemetry with....As it was dark in a rural setting with not a lot of lights to orient with the on phone video cash was not of help.

When I picked it up it was on its back with 3 props in tact...one was broken

To this day I cant prove if the prop failed and caused this...or if it broke on impact. It was outdoors 4 nites before I figured out enough of DJIs black box in DJI Assistant to get on phone telemetry.

Original props went on...let it dry out 3 days in a warm place..NO BATTERY....VERY IMPORTANT.... wet electronics might work if you let them dry completly....almost guaranteed to die if powered still wet.

Turned on..factory reset...calibrated IMU and she still gets the most fly time..

Before turning the recovered Spark on I went full boat and got the Phantom 4 Pro V 2.0.

I dont have proper vocabulary to describe what this craft can do...and I havent used many of its flight modes.

I can say that I have ranges of about 3/4 those listed as "Max under no interference" DJI Specs. Battery time better than 3/4 possible.

Tello Experience.

I wasnt looking for a starter drone but youtube drone videos were playing in the background more than I care to admit and I caught enough to interest me.

DJI technology...85 bucks at local walmart.....13 mins fly time I thought great having experience on the Spark with ony 16 mins max time.

It was fun to fly in a different way....at the hundred dollar price point the worry factor is much less than it is when you experience 3 miles out with a 1500 dollar craft :)

The first two I ended up giving to local kids whose familys had gone through hardship. I had old androids that worked and hey....I just hope the kids got their mind off the life issues the familys had been delt.

3rd one is in a tree 20 ft from my back door. I got brave flying it with the Gamesir Controller...Wind gusts...a tall tree....pilot overconfidence (ego) and I have video on phone that continues even after its at top of tree looking down.

I could not see it by eye from ground...old....thick branches ....

The Spark with a needed Pilot Attitude adjustment and a good respect for DJI's collision system avoidance I was able to confirm where it was.

I missed its capabilitys and with the aftermarket apps available its time to Tello again :)

I welcome your advice on controllers available today...

I have a Gamesir 1 that was a pain to link.......

I understand the FPV app can use a Parrot 2 controller ???

There seems to be a Gamesir 2 controller

Mad Catz has one per Drone Valley review....but I cant find anything comparing the different controllers

I hope to use a 9.7 Ipad that i think just updated from 12 to 13

I see limited posts saying playstation controllers will work on IOS 13

My experience with Android and DJI was hit and miss...not consistent even with Galaxy Tablets and phones.

The day I went IOS I began to really enjoy flying.... It was my first Apple device...Android served me well for years in whatever I chose to do with it. Android phone still but IOS for me just works for the birds.

I hope to grow along with the rest of the community in showing how much can be done with a 100.00 "toy"...... I remember a time this "toy" was Science Fiction Fantasy....now kids of 12 years old are learning programing and 52 year old kids are beginning to learn new tricks as well.

Lastly...if anyone is still awake after my less than a year flying history

DO NOT BUY LIGHTED PROPS that are cheaper than what it would cost to return them to China...I'm sure reliable ones will come to be...i choose to wait :)
I assume you are using the Tello FPV app? With return home function it can avert disaster when its hard to see the drones direction.

With tellofpv You can use gamesir t1d (not recommended due to video interference from bluetooth), parrot flypad (the cheap one, has same interference but much better precision so overall better) or any controller (bluetooth or otg) that is android compatible, like t1s or aps3 compatible for $5

Have fun!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome :)

Todays plans were changed and I am still working.

I did purchase tello fpv and it has loaded onto s9 galaxy... maybe in the morning I can pick up a tello from walmart or best buy.

I do want OTG. I dont mind spending for a controller that I will probably only use on the Tello. I like having dedicated devices....

Back to work ;(

For fun flying with some interference the flypad is best imo. As soon as you want good video the only way to go is usb otg. You can spend $5 or $50 on a gamepad, but none i tried has the precision of the flypad. For that type of precision and otg support you need a tarranis or similar

Well.....after a long delay I finally got to fly......flew from IPad ap....much better control than I remember with an s9 Android.

The only unhappiness was a half grown stray cat I started feeding......

My old 13 yr old cat forbids flying inside her house.....so I went outside to introduce the Tello and Stray Kitty....very different reaction than my older cat.....the young one reached out to bat at it once.....just wasn’t sure how to take it.....kinda amusing.....no I don’t torture animals.....but every now and then there is a little payback for the times they decide to turn over a garbage can and have a party?

Now to pick and otg controller for the S 9

A member here has been kind enough to suggest a steel series or the t1s.....

looking them up now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode