Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Powerbank output and signal strength (Xiaomi 2 repeater)

Guorium

Reaction score
I was doing a bit of test on my iphone with powerbank output and wifi strength. Observed wifi strength with the airport utility app wifi scanner. Got 2 insteresting findings.

1. Xiaomi signal strength is better on the led/reset side. Probably because of more exposure for the antennea given they are built-in on one side of the PCB. So make sure you point that side towards your tello. xiaomi isn’t too directional, signal still more or less broadcast in a circle.

2. 1A or 2A/5V powerbanks made no noticeable difference in terms of wifi strength. This makes sense since wifi power is usually in mW level where the repeater can draw the least 0.5A x 5V = 2.5W. The input power is just so much larger than the output power in wifi transmission even at the least input power level.

I was doing a bit of test on my iphone with powerbank output and wifi strength. Observed wifi strength with the airport utility app wifi scanner. Got 2 insteresting findings.

1. Xiaomi signal strength is better on the led/reset side. Probably because of more exposure for the antennea given they are built-in on one side of the PCB. So make sure you point that side towards your tello. xiaomi isn’t too directional, signal still more or less broadcast in a circle.

2. 1A or 2A/5V powerbanks made no noticeable difference in terms of wifi strength. This makes sense since wifi power is usually in mW level where the repeater can draw the least 0.5A x 5V = 2.5W. The input power is just so much larger than the output power in wifi transmission even at the least input power level.
Good information...

Very nice to know, because every bit of extra signal is nice.

I've often wondered about this, which side may be better. Thanks for taking the time to test, and share your findings.

Reactions: Guorium
To my test, the Xiaomi extender doesn't help at all when you're flying in wifi polluted areas.
How populated are we talking about? I tried flying next to my condo which has 10+ wifi signals from all over the place and xiaomi makes the range better. Without it I lose feed for video after like 20m. Make sure you connect to xiaomi signal not tello itself.

How populated are we talking about? I tried flying next to my condo which has 10+ wifi signals from all over the place and xiaomi makes the range better. Without it I lose feed for video after like 20m. Make sure you connect to xiaomi signal not tello itself.

Thank you for your experience. I'm honestly not sure how many but at least 6-7 or more around the place I was flying,

do you think there is a difference between a regular modem or a professional wifi extenders regarding signal?

I'd love to try anything to get better signal and less frame drops.

Thank you for your experience. I'm honestly not sure how many but at least 6-7 or more around the place I was flying,

do you think there is a difference between a regular modem or a professional wifi extenders regarding signal?

Best place to go is country side.. Away from interference... Another thing get a 'less loaded' mobile or a spare mobile.. Just install with tellofpv or the stock app and nothing else. ..

Reactions: reallush

Put ur phone on plane mode with wifi only. Turn off scan nearby devices which uses Bluetooth even when it is turned off (android only). Make sure other phones near u are set to the same.

More transmission power is better to some degree. Wifi is bi-directional communication so at some stage you must resort to modding tello’s own antennea.

Put ur phone on plane mode with wifi only. Turn off scan nearby devices which uses Bluetooth even when it is turned off (android only). Make sure other phones near u are set to the same.

More transmission power is better to some degree. Wifi is bi-directional communication so at some stage you must resort to modding tello’s own antennea.

Thank you for you advise.
That's the only way i fly regarding flight mode(dedicated phone for tello), i had a flight with repeater away from wifi areas yesterday. Went 30 meters with ease little too no frame drop. Guess the wifi interference was indeed too big as i was getting disconnections at the resort.

Modding the tello antenna would be interesting, might check that out later.

Edit: added yesterday's flight

Last edited:
Reactions: Guorium
Thank you for you advise.
That's the only way i fly regarding flight mode(dedicated phone for tello), i had a flight with repeater away from wifi areas yesterday. Went 30 meters with ease little too no frame drop. Guess the wifi interference was indeed too big as i was getting disconnections at the resort.

Modding the tello antenna would be interesting, might check that out later.

Edit: added yesterday's flight

Lovely edit. Thanks for sharing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipp.weisser@ksehingen