Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Preventing Tello from flying away

IronManTello

Reaction score
I've read some threads on the Tello flying away. I can imagine that my first flight outdoors would be pretty disappointing if it was my last flight until I could get a new Tello. So, why do they fly off? And, how to prevent that from happening. Note that I have not flown my Tello yet. I got it for myself for Christmas and I expect to fly it a good amount indoors before I do take it outside.

Some of what I've read, this has happened at dusk where the explanation seems to be that the vision system (VPS?) can't pick up the environment and it flies off. When this happens, why can't you just fly it back using the controller? I saw a video and the guy was on a bridge and it flew off. Comments were that the water and the structure of the bridge kept the VPS from knowing where it was. Again, is the Tello so dependent on the VPS that it overrides commands from the controller? Does it just happen so quick that it's a bit of flyer error? I'd appreciate understanding this better before I go outside. Also, can I replicate this inside and practice recovering or am I just not understanding this well.

Thanks.

Fly aways are due to:
Too much wind (its windy at 30m even when totally flat down at the surface) taking tello away
Flying too high or far and loosing wifi signal (30m right above you is not smart without wifi extender). Tello will hover in place and then land where it is, which can be in a tree.
Flying at night (stupid, don't do). No vision, no VPS.
Flying over water

All of these are to be expected, because some folks are too brave, some are unlucky, and some are just idiots.
Stay safe and all is good.

There is a tiny tiny number of true Fly aways and there is nothing you can do to prevent these except stay indoors.
the true fly aways that I know followed the same pattern: Tello suddenly climbs like mad beyond the alt limit, and then falls down.
There have been documented fly aways for all apps on both IOS and Android. Its simply some bug in the firmware that is triggered by some very rare obscure failure. Maybe a malfunction of some sensor triggers this.

But as said it is very rare. I think I read of maybe 5 or 6 true flyaways, and most have been recovered.

If you are flying in any kind of wind it's a good idea to have it in sport mode. But it's not a drone made for flying in those conditions. Be smart and have fun.?

Remember, the Tello has no GPS, so she doen't know where she is and can't correctly come home.
The great App TelloFPV has a calculated RTH. But that's not very accuate due to disruptive factors like wind.

Reactions: Terry
For future readers, if you want to see the position of your drone in a 3d space, you can try out the new desktop application to fly Tello Drone. As you can see in the "Drone Trajectory" window it display the drone trajectory. The x, y, z scale is in 'm'

We have just released & offering first 100 users for free. To download software
Create an account: AI Drone Software
Download software using hidden link: AI Drone Software

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 18.28.16.png

You are digging out 2 year old unrelated threads to post advertising for your app!? Many people get irrelevant "new response" notification because you do! In fact the vast majority of "new response" notifications from this forum have been just for this repeated advertising of your app.
Three quarters of all recent posts on this site were just you advertising your app.

Could you please create ONE SINGLE THREAD for your application and bundle all information, discussion and requests there instead of spamming the forum?

And no, I am not bitching about competition. Your app is in a completely different market segment than my apps and I couldn't care less.
I am bitching about you spamming every corner of the forum with your advertising.

Reactions: BigL
You are digging out 2 year old unrelated threads to post advertising for your app!? Many people get irrelevant "new response" notification because you do! In fact the vast majority of "new response" notifications from this forum have been just for this repeated advertising of your app.
Three quarters of all recent posts on this site were just you advertising your app.

Could you please create ONE SINGLE THREAD for your application and bundle all information, discussion and requests there instead of spamming the forum?

And no, I am not bitching about competition. Your app is in a completely different market segment than my apps and I couldn't care less.
I am bitching about you spamming every corner of the forum with your advertising.

Sir, my answers are providing a very specific solution to OPs problem on every threads, specially the ones for "kids education" and helping teachers out which were ignored before... i stick to community rules..

i believe you have commented on every thread too hence you get notified, i am also quite active in community... i am sorry you have to call it out in this manner...

i will create a single thread also, thanks for your suggestion... i will stick with the policy...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv