Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Smartphone joysticks

Silanir

Reaction score
Has anyone used the joysticks you put on the screen or that clamp on with any success. Trying to stay away from paying half the drones price for a controller

slow flying yes. Cannot recommend these for outdoor flight

I've only had my tello for about ten days now but I'm happy with the virtual controls on my phone.

I play with tello outside and in equally, slow inside, fast out ( unless taking video)....the more time I spend learning the virtual control the more precise I get.

I would try it without for a week or so....you can always buy one later.

The gamestyle phone holder has me interested though....make for an easier grip.

Reactions: Guorium
I've only had my tello for about ten days now but I'm happy with the virtual controls on my phone.

I play with tello outside and in equally, slow inside, fast out ( unless taking video)....the more time I spend learning the virtual control the more precise I get.

I would try it without for a week or so....you can always buy one later.

The gamestyle phone holder has me interested though....make for an easier grip.
Good idea actually I would like to do phone control only for a couple flights.

Those using TelloFpv should look into the configurable size of the onscreen joysticks in combination with some deadzone and Expo.
With a 7" tablet and large joysticks I have good control. Not as precise as a good controller, but at least as good as many on/off style controllers (controllers that don't have much stick travel between 10% and 90% output).

I use a controller mostly for VR Fpv. Otherwise it's phone only.

I find that with my controller, I can fly more precise than with the on screen. That being said, like @volate!lo said. Most gamepads have deadzones and only understand no throttle and full throttle.

Reactions: volate!lo
The "joystick" sensitivity is better on the aTelloPilot app vs. the Tello app. That being said, the Gamesir T1 (not T1d) controller and micro USB OTG cable can be found on Amazon or eBay for around $35. This combo used with the aTelloPilot app gives the most stable flight and flawless video. From my experience anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sage
The "joystick" sensitivity is better on the aTelloPilot app vs. the Tello app. That being said, the Gamesir T1 (not T1d) controller and micro USB OTG cable can be found on Amazon or eBay for around $35. This combo used with the aTelloPilot app gives the most stable flight and flawless video. From my experience anyway.
Using same tuning parameters for all axes like aTelloPilot does isn't exactly helpful. Pitch and yaw typically need different expo & rate settings.

Using same tuning parameters for all axes like aTelloPilot does isn't exactly helpful. Pitch and yaw typically need different expo & rate settings.
Can you post examples or the parameters you use?

Well, everyone needs to find his own settings but this is what I use

For onscreen video:
deadzone 15-20% for all axes because I have large thumbs
rate: 50% for yaw, 70% throttle, 100% roll & pitch
Expo: 70% for yaw, 30% for all others
Sticks on maximum size for phone, and similar size on tablet

For external controller video
deadzone 5% for all axes
rate: 70% for yaw, others 100%

For sportmode: All 100% and mostly linear, just yaw gets some expo and rate reduction

Reactions: Guorium and Ansia
Well, everyone needs to find his own settings but this is what I use

For onscreen video:
deadzone 15-20% for all axes because I have large thumbs
rate: 50% for yaw, 70% throttle, 100% roll & pitch
Sticks on maximum size for phone, and similar size on tablet

For external controller video
deadzone 5% for all axes
rate: 70% for yaw, others 100%

For sportmode: All 100% and mostly linear, just yaw gets some expo and rate reduction
Thanks. I am always having a hard time finding what I like and like seeing other people's inputs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv