Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Speed Control

Sudam_Chamikara

Reaction score
Hey, I want to know about a method to control the propeller speed of the Tello ( without using MATLAB extension) . Give me some ideas for this..

No, it's not that difficult to solve technically. It definitely doesn't involve hacking the firmware. It's a software patch.
I have a Global Speed Variable which i can change in mid flight. That Global Speed Variable then is used to control RC Control Command.

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 22.59.01.png

Last edited:
No, you are controlling drone speed, not individual Propeller rpms

Oh i see the confusion here.. They are not actually different, since Propeller speed is derivative of the Drone speed. And yes my software can change that "Drone Speed"

1) Drone Speed : Can range from 0 to 100
2) Propeller Speed : (Joystick Input X Drone Speed), Inputs can range from (0,1] or [0,-1]

So I can set/change the "Drone speed" which in turn changes propeller speed e.g.-
1) Drone speed is set at 80, default is 100.
2) Joystick reads 0.4. So the propeller speed will vary as (0.4 * 80)

Last edited:
The point is: You can't control prop speeds - which is what the OP was asking for.

The drone speed you refer to is irrelevant in this context.

The point is: You can't control prop speeds - which is what the OP was asking for.

The drone speed you refer to is irrelevant in this context.

"You Can"
Please read my edited post. Propeller speed is derived from Drone Speed, so if you can change drone speed, you change Propeller Speed.

My software does it. You can try it out. Email me on [email protected] for a free access

Oh i see the confusion here.. They are not actually different, since Propeller speed is derivative of the Drone speed. And yes my software can change that "Drone Speed"

1) Drone Speed : Can range from 0 to 100
2) Propeller Speed : Is the force on joystick* Drone Speed, Inputs can range from (0,1] or [0,-1]

So I can set the drone speed. And change propeller speed by taking a fraction on that.
eg
1) Drone speed is set at 80, default is 100.
2) Joystick reads 0.4. So the propeller speed will vary as (0.4 * 80)

"You Can"
Please read my edited post. Propeller speed is derived from Drone Speed, so if you can change drone speed, you change Propeller Speed.

My software does it. You can try it out. Email me on [email protected] for a free access

This is wrong. Your speed variable (or the RC command sent by your app) has absolutely _no_ direct relationship to RPMs (or attitude angles or anything else).

You are sending commands like "fly forward with speed 0.7m/s". The drone's flight controller (not your app) controls prop RPM and attitude angles to make that happen.

If you change your command to "fly forward with speed 1.4m/s" this will NOT double the prop RPMs. Not even remotely. The drone would shoot into the sky if it did.

Don't believe me? Think what happens if you add 1.5m/s wind from behind: When flying at 1.4m/s the RPMs are LOWER than at 0.7m/s.

BTW: Maybe check my signature.

Reactions: BigL
I don't agree with what you have to add, we are clearly of different opinions. I am offering a solution for OPs question and they are not just words. It's an actual feature in our carefully crafted software. We made sure our software architecture aligns with Tello & other popular drones in the industry.

I am inviting OP & you to try out software & checkout the feature for FREE. Let OP decide for the question was "method to control the propeller speed of the Tello ( without using MATLAB extension)".

Please email on [email protected]

Thanks

I don't agree with what you have to add, we are clearly of different opinions. I am offering a solution for OPs question and they are not just words. It's an actual feature in our carefully crafted software. We made sure our software architecture aligns with Tello & other popular drones in the industry.

I am inviting OP & you to try out software & checkout the feature for FREE. Let OP decide for the question was "method to control the propeller speed of the Tello ( without using MATLAB extension)".

Please email on [email protected]

Thanks

I have no clue what your problem is.

Re-read your original post #8 as quoted in my repsonse. It's completely wrong. You edited it to sound a bit less wrong, but still...

The fact that propeller speed has no direct relationship to drone speed (or any SDK command you issue) is not something to have "different opinions" about. This is a simple plain FACT.

My problem is Sir, that you are giving community incorrect information. No other app doesn't even have a feature to change "Drone Speed" mid flight as user wants it to , it's such a basic feature.

And drone speed does have a direct correlation with propeller speed. I completely understand if you don't agree & are oblivious about it.

We can drop it here. Just let it be

I am offering Tello community free application, to prove that 2 people can have different opinion. Let the community decide.. it's not that difficult, it's technology, it's binary.. it works or it doesn't work

Anyone can drop me an email & you will get a link to download the application. Change drop speed & see if propeller speed changes for yourself...

or fill this form: AI Drone Software

I suggest somebody read post#12 above and understand what is being said. I really don’t want to kickstart my brain out of retirement, just to try to make it more understandable.

WTF

This is ridiculous. You either don't understand anything about drones, or you just try to defend your point of view even if this means denial of facts.

I will happily watch any video prooving your "opinion" vs physical & technological facts.

BTW: My apps "control prop speed", too: Push throttle up and props spin faster, pull throttle down and props spin slower. Magic. :poop:
I just don't call this "prop speed control" because it isn't.

Reactions: BigL
I am offering Tello community free application, to prove that 2 people can have different opinion. Let the community decide.. it's not that difficult, it's technology, it's binary.. it works or it doesn't work

Anyone can drop me an email & you will get a link to download the application. Change drop speed & see if propeller speed changes for yourself...

or fill this form: AI Drone Software
I would like to try it out I am in the middle of learning about using my tello with vision tracking and this would both help me explore the drone aspect further while providing the community a second pair of eyes on the controll concept because I am sure my professor will want to take a look so it would be free second professional pair of eyes. So all that to say sign me up!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv