Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello 1.03.33.01 firmware - improved range

KarlosDaishi

Reaction score
Hi all.
My tello updated to the new fw version today.
Images still have corrupt thumbnails on S8.
Slight framedrops with mobile data on, very little in aircraft mode.

HOWEVER!!!
Range is massively increased - i got the full length of a football field and signal strength was still between white and yellow. At that distance the drone is almost invisible. I may not need the xaomi that is being delivered tomorrow now.

It still won’t save any custom settings and keeps resetting itself back to the default ones every time you close and then reopen the app.

The battery status display for the iPhone 7+ is still not visible in VR mode.

I don’t know about everyone else, but with my iPhone 7+ and Gamesir T1d I don’t see any improvements on video frame skipping. In fact I found it that it was a little bit worse than before.

I tested before and after I updated the firmware and saw no change in range.

Although I’ve not tested the range, there doesn’t seem to me much of any changes!
So this begs the question, what exactly did they improve on, because reading the release notes they don’t tell me anything at all.

I would agree, not much change.

They are claiming that the motors shutdown in the event of a collision. Well they did that out of the box but i guess the algorithm needed tweaking.
Added tips to the app. OK useful.
Optimised T1d experience. Well not so much based on my experience. I still have connection issues and drop outs. When it works though sticks are so much better.

It may not be fair to criticise as I have no idea how big Ryze are, how many devs/engineers they have. Also I run Android (how are iPhone users getting on?) and there are so many versions of OS and hardware it must be difficult to code and test. However I hope they start to fix some of the issues that everyone is reporting soon otherwise they risk losing confidence in their customer base. Smaller updates, released more frequently would be better in my opinion.

Reactions: Clinton1
I would agree, not much change.

They are claiming that the motors shutdown in the event of a collision. Well they did that out of the box but i guess the algorithm needed tweaking.
Added tips to the app. OK useful.
Optimised T1d experience. Well not so much based on my experience. I still have connection issues and drop outs. When it works though sticks are so much better.

It may not be fair to criticise as I have no idea how big Ryze are, how many devs/engineers they have. Also I run Android (how are iPhone users getting on?) and there are so many versions of OS and hardware it must be difficult to code and test. However I hope they start to fix some of the issues that everyone is reporting soon otherwise they risk losing confidence in their customer base. Smaller updates, released more frequently would be better in my opinion.
I had a long web chat with their support yesterday and although the individual was very polite he basically told me nothing and could not answer any of my questions regarding; (1) the frame skip, (2) the battery status not being displayed in VR mode for certain devices, and (3) the annoying fact that anything that is changed in the sittings is lost every time you close and open the app.

I also mentioned that we as users are very frustrated and that if they don’t do something soon that they will loose existing and any potential customers.

The fact is that we can complain all we want amongst eachother, but nothing is going to be done about it. If each one of us dials in and contact Ryze Support by selecting the help in the app and chat with them on line, nothing is going to be done. As the old saying goes “strength is in numbers”. If more of us bombard them with the issues that we have and continue to have and let them know how you truely feel about how they are doing, I believe that they may actually do something.

Thanks for listening.

Reactions: EvoHF
Honestly, we expect too much out of this drone. Whether it be inspired/leveraging intel and DJI technology, yadda yadda. Yes I have high expectations and for the most part it works well with my T1D Gamesir controller. A couple hiccups here and there but overall a good experience.

The most annoying for me right now is the frame drops which almost makes the camera useless for me. I have tried different bit rates and I don't really see it work any better. Sigh...

Honestly, we expect too much out of this drone. Whether it be inspired/leveraging intel and DJI technology, yadda yadda. Yes I have high expectations and for the most part it works well with my T1D Gamesir controller. A couple hiccups here and there but overall a good experience.

The most annoying for me right now is the frame drops which almost makes the camera useless for me. I have tried different bit rates and I don't really see it work any better. Sigh...
I know what you’re saying and I apologize if I sound a bit abrupt, but I don’t agree! I believe our expectations are not much. We’re only asking what the drone was designed to do and what they are advertising and we paid for. For example, if you purchased a video camera and it skipped frames every so often, would you be expecting too much from it? WRT the settings, this is a normal function/behaviour of any any software applications whether it be a drone app or Microsoft Word

Help!

I can't update the firmware. I followed the instructions but still no results. Just shows these images below everytime.
Im connected to the drone during this update process and i have my mobile data ON.
What am i missing?
TIA
Screenshot_20180526-003021.png
Screenshot_20180526-001816.png

Last edited:
I have lag/skip free video if i disable cellular and Bluetooth first on the phone and connection trough WiFi first Before booting/launching the App. This is as of today with the new IOS app and latest firmware.

By disabling Bluetooth i meen in settings. Not the Quick-icon. Since that is more a fake disable in IOS. I had zero problems this way. Also noticed that switching in and out of the app also causes skips in frames. (So also connecting trough the app causes this since you switch out and back into the app). Only hard closing the app and rebooting it fixes it. I’m using a iPhone 6s, don’t have a controller or WiFi extender yet. Both are underway :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately disabling Bluetooth won’t help those of us who have a controller!

Unfortunately disabling Bluetooth won’t help those of us who have a controller!
True, but it is nice to know that it is possible. Now i just hope they clean up their code so it’s possible without all these workarounds.

Reactions: Avellas
Help!

I can't update the firmware. I followed the instructions but still no results. Just shows these images below everytime.
Im connected to the drone during this update process and i have my mobile data ON.
What am i missing?
TIA
View attachment 430
View attachment 429

Your Wi-fi is connected to your tello and has no internet connection to download. Press ok and go to Wi-fi settings and connect to a Wi-fi that has internet connection. It will download update. Then reconnect to tello Wi-fi and it will update.

Last edited:
I got error 203 after firmware update on IOS. The thing is in coma now.. Doesn't do anything anymore... :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv