Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello altitude inaccuracy in app

Traeton

Reaction score
I noticed when looking at the altitude the app is reporting during flight, it starts off pretty accurately at takeoff, but after flying around for a while, ascending and decending, the height reading becomes very inaccurate. I’ve yet to land without a negative reading for the height. After the Tello lands and powers off the motors, the altitude resets back to zero. I’ve tried recalibrating the IMU, wondering if this might be part of the issue, but the results are the same. I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing after flying around for a while? I am concerned that programming short missions with DroneBlocks may result in crashes if the Tello is not achieving the correct height to clear obstacles as defined in my instructions.

Any observations would be very appreciated. Thank you!

App: iOS
Tello firmware: 01.03.18.01

I noticed when looking at the altitude the app is reporting during flight, it starts off pretty accurately at takeoff, but after flying around for a while, ascending and decending, the height reading becomes very inaccurate. I’ve yet to land without a negative reading for the height. After the Tello lands and powers off the motors, the altitude resets back to zero. I’ve tried recalibrating the IMU, wondering if this might be part of the issue, but the results are the same. I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing after flying around for a while? I am concerned that programming short missions with DroneBlocks may result in crashes if the Tello is not achieving the correct height to clear obstacles as defined in my instructions.

I haven't made the same observations, but I haven't been able to get DroneBlocks to work at all...even to take off.

I think I'm having the same issue, but I've only flown the thing three, maybe four times. I happened to notice that it said it was at 4ft when it was at least 8 feet in the air. I'm going to check it again next time I fly and I'll let you know if I see the same. I'm wondering if flying it near something taller makes it read incorrectly? For example, my camper is in my yard, and maybe the camera is hitting the top of that, even though it's a few feet away from it. It might only be a few feet off the top of the camper, but more than 12ft from the ground.

Hi mate,
I have seen the same reading 'error'. Not sure if it is a bug in the Tello's app.

The altimeter is IMU based not barometer based as the tello is not meant to be flown above 30m (max VPS functionality height)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv