Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello behaves very bad when using official SDK

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am doing my master's thesis on drones and my university has DJI Tello's. The thing is that after working with them for a while I can say that using the official SDK, Tello's behave bad. These are the most common bad behaviors I found:
- They never get to take off
- They take off but it takes like 10 seconds to return 'ok'
- They land automatically after 3-10 seconds
- If the battery is under 50% the behavior gets very very very bad. Like going up and down randomly.
- They move to random directions after take off
- Propellers fall off while flying. Therefore, the Tello crashes on the floor.

Does anyone of you have the same experience? Anything to fix it?

I am using DJITelloPy library because I need a library to retrieve frame by frame in live and do things with the frame and control de drone accordingly. Any other library that works better? I am pretty sure the problem is using the Tello SDK. While flying it with the phone it works good.

Does Tello EDU work way better?

Thanks
Damia

It seems at least some of your bad behaviors could be attributed to damaged tello's

A slight split in any of the plastic prop guards will cause tello to go nuts randomly. Try different tello's to get a good one or swap props & Guards for new ones (and make sure to firmly press down propellers - they should not fly off without an impact.)

My app is currently using official SDK and I have encountered none of those problems. Only difference (to Low-Level api in non-fast mode) I encountered is that it maintains constant height above the ground and not absolute altitude. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with it. Probably the Tello is too beaten up.
Oh, I know what might cause Tello to freak out: if you send comands too often, it might do weird things (e.g if you send rc less than 0.1s apart).

Reactions: pgminin
Hi Damià,
your message is very surprising for me!
Indeed from your Tello SDK wrapper (DJITelloPy: A new python wrapper for Tello) I built a very good and fun computer vision system.
In your code I found just one or two little bugs, than I expanded it with yolov3 object detection in OpenCV, a state machine and a Proportional Integral and Derivative person tracking in 3D.
It works, and my Tello went away just in one episode, I suppose because of sunset and a common VPS failure.
So I must say that for me you library (and Tello SDK) is not very bad at all, even with some very well known limitations.
In conclusion maybe you have some hardware/firmware problems with your Tellos. All motors are ok? An intensive use of Tello is prone of motor aging!

Many thanks for sharing your DJITelloPy on github, you can watch the results of my efforts in Tello SDK Computer Vision on my youtube channel ...

Keep coding!!

Reactions: JacekJagosz
yes bought a Tello because it was recommended by wirecutter in the NYT, but that thing is total crap. First of as you say it takes forever to get decent wifi and actually take off. And if it does it’s virtually impossible to navigate. Total cheap crap. Will return in the morning
oh and forgot to mention the video quality is a joke.

Strange first post (your quotation does'nt exist any more...).

As you can see in many examples postet here, there is no general problem with Tello. Neither with WiFi/navigation nor with video quality.

Perhaps you can get a little more explicit about your expectations, findings and what you have done to see these results? Based on your current complaints, I see no starting point for assistance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv